Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs making it better

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DougieB, Aug 2, 2022.

1. DougieB

DougieB
    from Clark, NJ

Hello Everyone. My build has finally been finished. My 53 Belair is running and driving. My family and I enjoy short trips around town however I want to explore highways. I have a SBC with a th350 that links to the chevy 10 bolt rear with 3.73 gears. The RPMs are already climbing at 45 mph and I'd like to be up to 65. What is the best and cost efficient way to get there without killing the bank?

2. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

A 2.79 gears in the 10 bolt would be a good hi way gear. But you will give up some acceleration at lower speed.

AHotRod and hrm2k like this.
  3. Taller tires?

juan motime likes this.
  4. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Trade the 350 for a 200 4R, should fit in the same hole, trans mount may have to be moved.
    Some one who has done it will chime in soon I believe. So many smart people on this forum it's a safe bet some one knows.

5. squirrel

squirrel

push the pedal down further. The engine don't care....in the olden days, 3.73 gears were considered highway gears.

I'm going to embark on a long trip today in an old car with original 3.87 gears, here's a quote from the owners manual, explaining that you can indeed drive 70 mph in such a car.

driving speed.jpg

6. Dustin 257

Dustin 257
    from Dallas

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
  7. juan motime

juan motime
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a similar set up. '50 IH pickup, 318 dodge, w/3:70 gears, the difference is I have a 5 speed. 4th is 1.00, and 5th is 0.68 ratio. I'm running 235/75/15 tires which I think are 28"-29" tall, I don't remember. Out the highway I drive 65mph, sometimes 70. At 65 it tachs about 1850-1900 rpm. If I'm not going against a head wind, I get about 19 mpg give or take. RMR&C already suggested taller tires, I would suggest the same. Try some used tires, maybe try different sizes, before you buy new ones.

RMR&C likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we had the series of Chevy sedans as teenagers, we all, at one time or another, exchanged rear end gears if they fit. Our 55, 56, 57 and even 58 Chevy rears did exchange by a simple swap. Over the years of running them all over the place, we did switch gears with the others. A 3.55 gear set up was the standard in the 55 Chevy and even in the 56 Chevy. The 57 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop had 3.73 gears that came with the car. So, we had plenty to play with between the Chevy sedans.

We had a stock 4:11 Positraction rear gear set up in our 58 Chevy Impala. Then we purchased a complete 4:56 Positraction gear set up to go faster and quicker. :45 difference was noticeable in the new faster, more consistent E.T. times and speeds. The top racers in the A/Stock class and SS classes used 4:56 Positraction gears. It was allowed since the factory parts department had them in stock.

So, what were the gears in street usage? The 3:55 gears were pure street usage. Mild running, a little gas made them go, but they were not racing gears, freeway speeds were simple and mellow. But cruising up and down the coastline on a weekend night was pure smoothness and no wear and tear on the whole car/motor. The 57 Chevy held its own on the cruising nights with his 3.73 gears. But, when a big challenge was approaching, we used my 4:11 gearing or if necessary, the 4:56 Positraction gears.
    upload_2022-8-8_4-2-14.png similar look
    The 3:55 gears were good for everyday street usage, to school, nights out, and even going up to the 7000 foot elevation in the local mountains. They (55 + 56) did not race as much as the 57 and 58 Chevy sedans. With those gears, it was smooth running. I used the 3:73 gearing on several weeks of coastal cruising in the 58 Impala to Santa Barbara and down to San Diego. The freeway and coastal speeds were fine and the motor/running gear did not get overworked. The 280 hp+ was plenty of go with just about any gear set up, but pure freeway long distance driving was for the 3:55 and 3:73 gears.
    upload_2022-8-8_4-2-55.png
    The 4:11 gearing was about the most perfect gearing for us. I did most of the drag racing with the Impala and if/when high performance was necessary, the 4:56 gears stayed in the Impala. Going to school and short weekend cruises were fine. Stop and go was the norm and the Impala was always ready to “go” when necessary. But, cruising around with 4:56 Positraciton gears was a high pitched running for the motor and driveline.
    upload_2022-8-8_4-3-42.png customized by @themoose … thanks

Jnaki

For your daily drives, the 3:73 gears seems the best, but if you don’t care about having some extra go in the deep pedal, then use the 3:55 gears, if you can get them. The 55 and 56 Chevy sedans made it down and back to San Diego many times. The 56 even went across the border to get some white tuck and roll upholstery. The high speed freeway/roadway speeds were just fine in either Chevy sedan.

For the 58 Chevy, the 4:11 daily gearing was perfect. A little on the high performance side, but ready for anything. The majority of any encounter was always secured with the Positraction gear choices. For us, the 4:11 was the best set up for daily activities of a teenager, and always ready to perform when challenged, or just getting that acceleration feeling on an open standing start empty road.
    upload_2022-8-8_4-15-55.png

themoose likes this.
  9. THANK YOU , Jim.

Ben