Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest What kind of car is Grandpa driving ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Dad, Apr 11, 2022.

1. My grandpa had a 50 merc. The guy that ended up owning the local mercury dealership used to try to get my mom to drag race him when they were in high school.Although my mom still has a heavy foot, she claims she never took the bait.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  2. Bruce Dern

Bruce Dern

My grandfather & grandmother in their Buick Model 10 White Streak circa- 1911.

Clarence & Carlotta c 1911 in Buick Model 10 White Streak.jpg

3. cfmvw

cfmvw

That's a great picture!

4. Rand Man

Rand Man

My granddaddy bought a new Buick four door in 1927. Had a Packard in the 50’s. No photos though.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Border Collie .

6. I want to die in my sleep like Grand Dad, not like the 3 screaming folks who were riding in the car he was driving!:eek:

metlmunchr, Jibs, cfmvw and 5 others like this.
  7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one grandpa died about 1930, the other in the 40's. :(

on a positive note, had my fathers Dad not died in 1930, my father would have grown up in Canada where he was born and I would not be here. o_O

lothiandon1940 and lippy like this.
  8. 32fenderless

32fenderless

This is my Grandpa’s ‘40 ford. Shortened side trim and skirts.
    My dad is a Grandpa and that’s his ‘40 Ford.

I’m a grandpa and that my ‘32 and my two Willy’s.

Attached Files:

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Something just flashed across my brain. :p If anyone wonders why all the older folks were so good at fixing things, I think a lot of it was probably because you could buy anything and there just wasn't the support system for fixing the stuff in the beginning. When you lived out in Kansas where I live if the tractor broke down, you had to fix it. Especially if you were in the middle of harvesting. Same with cars, motorcycles ect...My Dad could fix anything and I always envied him for that. I'm pretty darn good at it but nothing like his generation. Lippy

49ratfink likes this.
  10. downlojoe33

downlojoe33

My Grandfather on my mother's side was a road builder, along with a few of my uncles, in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico during the early 1900's until the day he died in 1938. Not sure if he ever owned a car. They used horse teams and fresnos and I'm not sure what other horse drawn equipment to build those roads. Hard drinkers and hard workers. My mother lived in a covered wagon and tents until she was 13 years old. School? Not much when you're in one place for short periods of time. But she was one of the smartest people I've ever known. She married my Dad at 15 I think just to have some stability in her life, and they eventually bought a farm in Oklahoma. But as with most farm people, they could and had to fix anything that broke down, and make do with what you have. Until the dust bowl days drove them away the first time. But they came back and did it again until WW 2. But the adversities they faced and conquered made them the strong and determined people they were.

'28phonebooth, 49ratfink and cfmvw like this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-7-30_3-49-41.png
    Great Grandpa 1930’s somewhere in Tennessee, near Tennessee A&I College

Hello,

We recently found this old photograph in my wife's, late dad's, box of photos. It shows a cool looking Phaeton somewhere in Tennessee. The photo shows the Great Grandpa on her mother's side.

Great Grandpa had a solid life in education. One of the schools he taught was called, Tennessee A & I or sometimes called the “Normal School” in those days. He traveled all over the Southeastern USA, spent the 30’s-40’s in OKC, and made a final venture out west to So Cal and Santa Monica in particular. He and Great Grandma had their final home in Santa Ana, CA. He had a ton of different cars over the years and this photo is somewhere in Tennessee, as was told to us, by my wife’s mom.

Jnaki

The photo shows a nice Phaeton that looks like it is now stuck in the mud, off of the main road. Many years later, they were one of the only folks we invited to our small, private wedding. They were in their early 90’s.
    upload_2022-7-30_3-55-44.png
    Great Grandma modeling her fancy clothes...

Their last car, one of the world’s “most chromed” stock, factory build from 1958… a giant Buick Roadmaster. Yes, it did fit inside of the small single car garage. It was a good thing he was small and thin to squeeze out of the Buick, wedged in the single car garage.

catdad49 likes this.
  12. catdad49

catdad49

48 Buick.jpg Walter, my Grandpa Cox, always had a Buick Roadmaster (had to be a Roadmaster). The last one I remember was a Giant, black 4 door version that I spent many a mile stretched across the front seat between my two grandparents. My Mom always told me that Grandpa saw more while he was driving than anyone else in the car!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    jnaki likes this.
  13. My Dad learned to drive a Model T on the farm when he was 9 years old. Neither one of my Grandfathers could drive a car.

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

My father's father didn't drive, grandma drove him around...and from the dents seen in the car, she did not drive either.
    Never knew my mother's father but it's said he liked Packards

15. Looks like that dog is getting ready to handle his business on that special.

uncleandy 65 likes this.