Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 victoria

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51preston, Jul 29, 2022.

Tags:
  1. 51preston

51preston

Will a 428 super cobra jet fit in a victoria?

I just recently picked up my first car and I’m looking for help on this motor swap. Will I have to cut the firewall or front clip it?
    Any info on it will help .

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  2. Welcome to the HAMB from Illinois.

That's going to be a cool project.

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First of all, anything can be put into anything; I saw a video of a guy who put a Gen II hemi into a "Bugeye" Sprite. However some swaps, to be done correctly, take a lot of advanced engineering and skill. I personally feel a 428 into a '51 Victoria is not a good choice for a first build. Unless done properly, you will end up with a very nose-heavy vehicle that will handle and drive poorly. I have a '51 Coupe with a '51 Merc and stock steering in good shape. It is a bear to parallel park without power steering which will be mandatory with the swap you are considering. What about a transmission? The stock transmission will not even be close to inadequate. Also, "shoebox" rear axles are not very strong at all. When I was a kid, we were constantly changing out broken axles, even with worn out stock engines. You might get away with it if you have access to some experienced advice and a well equipped shop, but to just jump in and start cutting and welding can lead to disaster

Also, as an aficionado of "shoebox" Fords (particularly '51 Victoria's), I would advise against cutting a nice one up to install a beast of an engine. My advice would be to go with something more suitable that won't require altering the basic car, such as a small block Chevrolet or Ford. Either of these can be made to produce plenty of power and are just about the same weight as the original flathead and fit right in. Oh yeah, with just about anything, the tie rod will interfere with the oil pan, which will require some additional changes.

Think over what really want;. If it's to be a driver, I would reconsider your choice of engines.

hrm2k likes this.
  4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

5. HELLO!! And YES to the opening question from 51preston as long as you have some good Fab Skills and open to a lot of work.

hrm2k likes this.
  6. P.S. There will always be nay sayers no matter what direction you want to go. Be smart, use a Tape measure a LOT! And then think about your own Ability's and the depth of your Wallet. Only then would I say Green Light, let's do this. I love F.E's!

hrm2k likes this.
  7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

first ever car?, or first classic? be warned that whatever you do much of what you do will take longer & cost more than you figured in the beginning

olscrounger likes this.
  8. 51preston

51preston

A first for both. I’m 17 years old and have been around hot rods and customs since I was about 6. I figured it was about time i’d get one of my own.

williebill and Cooon like this.
  9. 51preston

51preston

Thanks man. My brothers real good with the fab work so I got that squared away. The 428 has a c6 behind it. I got it out of a 58 ford wagon. I was going to sbc swap it but I saw the deal and I couldn’t pass it up.

10. 51preston

51preston

Thank you!

11. 51preston

51preston

Thanks man. It’s going to be a fun project!

12. Something to check out real close. I know a small block C-6 will fit, Not so sure of the FE model being they are a physically larger gear case at the Block. The front sump oil pan will be your first Big issue. No easy way around that. Right out the gate just plan to hand build your exhaust headers. You will not find anything to help make it easy. I would do everything possible not to cut into the Firewall. Once you open that can of worms you better have an "A Game" in your pocket. I understand the C.I. thing and the Ford in a Ford thing. That said proceed with caution! I'll be watching. It's way easier to ask a question about how or if than it is to try to repair a big goof up.

13. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

I would have grabbed the rear from the wagon doner as well, most likely a large bearing and posi to boot

302GMC likes this.
  14. garyf

garyf

Seems I have seen a few shoebox fords powered with cadillac powertrains with a lot of room and very limited butchery.

15. Let's clear up one misconception first; the FE isn't as heavy as some think. Compared to its '50s-era big-block contemporaries it's the lightest of the bunch, sometimes by a lot. Yes, the intake manifold is an unwieldy chunk of cast iron and gave it it's 'heavy' reputation, swap that out for aluminum and drop 50+ pounds off right there. Dig deeper into your pockets and use aluminum heads and water pump and you can get the weight down to about the same as the original flathead, or roughly the same weight as a 351W. Lots of these got Caddy/Olds swaps 'back in the day', the FE is lighter than either of those even before the aluminum diet.

As Wizzard says, the front-sump pan will be the major issue. Ford switched from rear sumps to front in '54 and the FE wasn't ever factory installed as a rear sump. While they're generally frowned on here, a frame clip would be the best solution IMO. And don't go M2 or late GM, use a '55-56 Ford or Mercury clip. Installed right, this should solve all major mounting/clearance issue as the FE is a literal bolt-in to those cars and you can even get headers for it. Watch for front crossmember rot on the '55-56 clips, you'll probably have to do some repair.

I will be a contrarian and NOT recommend the C6 trans. While the closest thing to bullet-proof in an OEM Detroit automatic, it also has the highest internal drag of all of them and will be a mileage-killer. Plus packaging it into the X-member may prove to be difficult. A beefed C4 or AOD (which will require an $$$ adaptor) will be much better. The lo-buck solution would be a late 3.03 3-speed manual or 4-speed (more $$$), the 3-speed can still be found for reasonable money sourcing it from pick-up trucks and is stout enough to take the abuse. Bonus if the car is already a manual trans, reconnect the column linkage for a great sleeper. You will need a better rear axle, the stock one won't hold up to FE power, even with an automatic. A 8.8 will be the cheapest solution here.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2022
  16. 51preston

51preston

I’ll keep this thread updated with pictures and questions if I get stumped. I plan on pulling the flathead out that’s in it and test fitting the 428 to see how it fits in the upcoming week. The headers will be a tough one, I will probably have to get them done by a shop. Thanks for the info.

17. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I know it's not what you asked, and I'm totally cool with FE's, but my '49 tudor with it's stock 8BA gave me many miles of fun when I owned it and never left me hanging (plus it looked and sounded awesome).

18. Crazy Steve is almost a walking Bible on Ford info. He gave you some Excellent info. I'm always reluctant to mention Frame clip here but so you know, Mine Is! Also were I doing this a Top Loader 4 speed would be my choice and it will simply bolt to your existing 51 Trans mount and a very little clutch linkage mod. Should you stay C-6 a 1958-9 automatic mast jacket will make trans connection a nutz-n-bolt switch over. As Steve said, the weight issue is a fish story. You should also be aware of Fan to Rad space is something to plan ahead on. I absolutely Hate electric Fans in Hot Rods! Look into the 49-51 Flathead 6-cyl rad mount and tank unit. You'll gain several inches there and be able to run the motor mounted manual Fan no problem, as it should be.

Old-Soul likes this.
  19. Old-Soul, The difference between you being very pleased with an 8BA and 51preston going with the 428 is much like 2 Guys in a Bar with their Wife's. One has a Blond with a B cup the other has a Red Head and is D cup. Both of the Guys are happy, that's all that matters. The Red Head probably takes a lot more work to keep happy but He's not complaining (I had a Red Head once O.M.G.).

20. 51preston

51preston

I might end up keeping the flathead not to sure yet. If it becomes to much work i’ll probably end up scraping the idea of the 428 and run the orginal motor. But reading everyone’s comments on this thread is definitely helping me out. Appreciate the info. Thank you!

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  21. 51preston

51preston

Thank you for the info. I took the rear out of the doner 58 ford wagon. It should hold up to the power of the FE, the guy I bought it from drove to the wagon everywhere and pulled his 32 ford altered roadster. It was a beautiful set up. Unfortunately his shop caught fire and he sold me the wagon for a steal all the drive train his perfect. Even got a bench seat to put into the 51.