Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Inspired Innovation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jul 27, 2022.

1. cfmvw

cfmvw

I like just about anything as long as it's done right. We've all seen various makes and models of cars that ranged from "wow, they really put some thought into that one!" to "what on earth were they thinking???" death traps.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Different body styles call for different modifications. They can't ALL be H.A.M.B friendly. That's what makes Hot Rodding so Unique, Personal taste play's a HUGE role in it , and it's not wrong, one way or another. It's just different.

Okie Pete, SS327 and Budget36 like this.
  3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

People pushing the envelope motivates me. The shark DeRosa..jpg

Rand Man, AHotRod, 54delray and 6 others like this.
  4. SS327

SS327

Those rides would be booted off for being the wrong year. There are only so many ways you can rearrange old parts. That is why the guys who built cars back in the 30s-60s used some new car parts. Unfortunately new car parts, engines, transmissions, sheetmetal are OT here and some people get told to go elsewhere. I myself do enjoy seeing older cars with modern or newer engines. The old guys always looked to modern technology or parts to make their cars better and faster. And they upgraded when they could. Otherwise we would all still be driving and racing flatheads. All the billet and rubber band tired crap I can do without. However rim widths larger than 15” is traditional. Even Henry Ford built a high wheeler.
    Some guys may not have the time, talent, money or skills to build a traditional car. Sometimes I think the Streetrod guys have more in common with the old days and old ways than we do. Because weather we want to face it or not they used more modern parts. Sure they did not have 1-(800)-parts back then as much but they did have builders. Barris, Westerguard, Jeffries, Watson, Winfield, Valley, Alexander brothers and many many others. See even the guys back then did buy their rods and Kustoms done back then too!
    Just my opinion.
    Your mileage may vary.
    Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.
    Taxes, title and destination charge may vary and will be an extra charge.
    Other rates may apply.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I’ve never understood this argument. We don’t allow post 65 cars or modern parts because I’m throwing shade at those that do… far from it…. Trust me, I have a passion for all sorts of cars.

we focus on traditional here because that’s the direction I chose almost 30 years ago. Going beyond that isn’t true to what this place is. And I say that knowing it drives some people away….

The H.A.M.B. isn’t for everyone… all the time…

6. SS327

SS327

Ryan, just know I was not trying to start a fight. Just trying to clear things up a bit. I just can’t understand if a guy is taking say a 75 corvette and is going to take and put a straight axle under the front of it. A dual quad 327 under the hood with a t10 4 speed a roll bar and a solid rear axle. And some Torque Thrust D wheels. All traditional stuff or close to looking the part. Except for the 75Vette part. That alone would get the thread deleted. In my opinion a build like that should be allowed because it is a traditional style build, using traditional methods,just not a traditional body. But if they were building a 53-67 Vette they would be applauded for using a “traditional car”. But the frames are all the same basic design from 63-82. Some people just can’t afford to do that. See what I mean. I have seen threads closed when people had a sbc question but because it was in a 82 or 84 Camaro or some dog gone thing it got closed. They had to start another thread without mentioning the body the engine was in. I am more asking a question than complaining, but not trying to start some kind of shit storm. Just trying to learn.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    AHotRod likes this.
  7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'm the same way: coachbuilding, suspension design, specials, early tech, '60s-'70s showrods, tilting trikes; not to mention the Middle Ages, the Arts & Crafts/Pre-Raphaelite movement, architecture, urban design, ecology, appropriate technology, political theory, philosophy, theology; not to mention golden-age whodunits and cryptic crosswords ...

But I'm forever constructing syntheses of all that stuff. I'm all about the crossovers, leading to things like the Specials thread. It's also what is behind my interest in the "traditional" being about the embodied technological ethos pointing to counterfactual imagining of what might have been, and not about nostalgia — i.e. something which comes out of the philosophical, political, and indeed ultimately theological parts of what I'm into. I've just written an article arguing that a future anarchist society is going to have hot rods if it's going to have any automobiles at all. It's not yet published, and a link would be inappropriate anyway on the HAMB. I'll PM anyone a link, though, as soon as it's out.

And, I've been saying forever that hot rodding didn't grow in a vacuum, but in a world with a rich automotive content outside itself. That outside inspiration has been there from the start. The first hot rodders didn't know what a hot rod was, didn't know what a hot rod ought to be. What were they looking at? What loomed large in their imagination? Surely they had prior automotive dreams and visions, and those had a shape? Likewise, can we really draw a line between the first customizers and the then-extant coachbuilding industry?

As for the attitude I've encountered here, that traditional hot rodding is reassembling factory early Ford parts in a different order only, and excludes any kind of fabrication or making of stuff, I can't imagine early hot rodders in any other way than straining against the limits of the technological capabilities available to them, yearning and striving to become ever more capable of actual manufacture. Hence there actually being such a thing as a speed parts industry.

So, inspired innovation? Bring it on.

8. Bdamfino

Bdamfino
    from Hamlet, NC

I hate the " Dogfight" forum/ platform never got bite around here..... I'm all for keeping HAMB traditional, but do wish there were other forums catering to newer/ broader tastes and builds.

AHotRod, Stogy, UNSHINED 2 and 2 others like this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Agreed. I think Ryan should revive it. I think most guys never really understood the idea behind it.

AHotRod, Stogy, UNSHINED 2 and 2 others like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A better name would have been a good start. Unless you remember history about the WWI and WWII air dogfights, the name dogfight brings up visions of lowlifes fighting pitt bull dogs until they were dead, not a pleasant thought. Most folks saw the title and were immediately turned off without going farther.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

100% agree… Name was stupid. That’s on me.

I closed it as I didn’t have the time to maintain it and it was getting very little traction.

Stogy and Roothawg like this.
  12. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This is how I feel, and this quote is a very articulate way of verbalizing it.

The RR scene as a whole is a giant example that the end result can be lesser than the sum of parts, and the mere exclusive use "traditional" ingredients does not per se yield a tasty, traditional dish.

On the other hand, a tasteful combination of new and old can still put together a very attractive car that is traditional in style and aura. We've seen the examples of it time and time again. Hilton's "Angry As", and most recently, the feature on Dallas Marine's killer Chevy. These cars are not "traditional" by the letter of the law, nor the list of ingredients. But the look and vibe is unmistakably traditional.

What it comes down to, is that HAMB is simply no longer representative of the traditional hot rod and custom scene as a whole. It's representative of a much smaller, sub-classification of the traditional genre that is strictly traditional and not interested in outside influences. That's their choice. But as it pertains to this thread, I understand the notion that one can be influenced by other automotive genres of the same era. I don't 100% buy that. I don't think any of these European touring cars, or their influences on their American counterparts, are any more "traditional" within the scope of this message board, than a visually perfect chopped Merc that has air suspension or deuce coupe that just happens to have an overdrive trans.

But again, it goes to the reasoning that we always hear; "yeah, technically it was around in HAMB-relevant time, but it wasn't prevalent or commonly used..." We hear it when discussing hydraulics, air ride, air conditioning, 4 links, electronic fuel injection.... all the stuff that has been persona non grata around here. By that same logic, I ask rhetorically; how many hot rods were running around with Alfa Romeo parts? How many deuces had a Bugatti grill shell or Delage gauges? You see my point. Around, but not prevalent.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
    AHotRod, Stogy and SS327 like this.
  13. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

This is another complaint that grates on me. Some clown on here was giving it to me on here the other day because I bought all new shit for my most recent build. It's lost on some people that that crusty intake laying on the ground at the swap meet was new at some point, when some guy in 1959 with an SBC, Olds, or Nailhead cracked open his Edelbrock catalog, and mailed a paper check to California for a tripower intake. It's literally no different than now, except that I can pay by credit card.

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Different build styles inspire me for reasons I can`t explain. One`s that are seldom copied. Scan0289.jpg Scan0535.jpg copied.

Okie Pete and Stogy like this.
  15. 62rebel

62rebel

I take inspiration from everywhere. I look at almost everything from an artist's viewpoint; I've been drawing and painting since early childhood and love to see early cars and bikes and see how they were developed by their inventors.
    My High School Drafting teacher was amazed that I was also taking Commercial Art classes, he seemed to think they were mutually exclusive where I used aspects from BOTH systems in my work.

Okie Pete, Ned Ludd and Stogy like this.
  16. 62rebel

62rebel

That red effie sends me, daddy-o..... I've had a soft spot for those trucks since forever.

Stogy likes this.
  17. I don't know that I agree with that. Yes, there's a vocal minority who keep trying to fit 'traditional' into a box (an impossible task IMO), a probable majority who generally keep their heads down and mouths shut, and another vocal minority who keep trying to rock the boat. This place isn't immune to change, that can be seen in how certain things have stealthily gained 'acceptance' and some stuff that was originally OK is now out of favor.

I've never felt that 'traditional' presented a static view of the hobby, there's a lot of permutations still out there to be explored and I think that's what Ryan is trying to say.

Ned Ludd and Stogy like this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The vocal minority that keep trying to rock the boat… that group? Ugh… Those guys need to just get out in the shop and work. I’m growing tired of that shit.

And I agree, obviously, that traditional doesn’t have to be static. However, I think the audience that truly understands the intricacies of that is really small. It’s a difficult thing to be both innovative and traditional, but not impossible…

Lets be honest - a lot of it comes down to taste and deeply understanding hot rods and customs…

62rebel, 57 Fargo, 54delray and 4 others like this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

C660A27A-68ED-48DA-AD47-DC37E5AE6E53.jpeg

52FDCB55-FA60-4E42-8C86-B3C1C568834B.jpeg

CA94EA65-8DB4-48C0-9FCD-491CB186D199.jpeg

0203AD38-FFD2-4B11-B035-FC6CFA7848A7.jpeg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...enized-hotrods.1002926/page-218#post-14402233

I think @MindTraveler64's inspired nod to past innovation fits the theme of this Thread...Inspiration comes from diverse exposure and a creative mind...Hotrod/Custom lend well to this combination...

I hope to see more of this in the near future...I'm sure he has been out pushing it to perform as it was built to do just that...

At 53 years young he has really done exactly as his Screen name suggests...in style...

Anyone know him? If any of you do please tell him to get back on here and share how things are evolving at the track...

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I’ve never seen anything quite like that car… and it’s traditional.

Stogy likes this.
  21. 'Cmon Ryan, there's two groups. The constructive rockers, and the other who just want to turn the boat over to watch somebody get wet.... LOLOL...

Ned Ludd, SS327 and 57JoeFoMoPar like this.
  22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lol... it's interesting.
    And maybe a little tricky.
    To be different, but not too different.
    I've said it before... I think we can innovate within the boundaries of tradition.
    I'm workin' on it.

I think that especially with the early cars and their minimalist design and all their beautiful guts hanging out, that it doesn't take much to make one different from the others. A couple of inches here, a couple of inches there...
    A not often used chassis...
    Etc etc etc

Stogy likes this.
  23. -Brent-

-Brent-

There is, for sure. But I'm not sure we've reached that end, yet. I know of a few in-progress projects that absolutely fit their era (traditionally speaking) and they're different in a good, creative, thoughtful way respective to their period goal.

Stogy likes this.
  24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There’s constructive criticism which I listen too… and then there’s guys with 50-million posts that think they have the right to dictate direction - no matter our history and my own objections.

You sir, do it the right way…

I have no problem hearing guys out, looking at stuff from their perspective, and trying to do better and learn. But my patience is growing very thin for those that use the HAMB like a modern day politician uses Twitter… Bombastic uneducated bullshit slung from turd holes that have never added anything at all substantial to the conversation.

Oh man… that felt good to type.

But I can’t type it without also admitting my own short comings. I’m rigid and stubborn, I’m an elitist, and ultimately I care more about period correct cars than I do about cars simply leaning traditional. But at the same time, I’m wish washy… or non-commital… or something that I can’t put my finger on…

Ultimately, I’m not the right guy to run a forum. I’m the guy that should be sitting in a corner and never posting… just reading and learning… and… I’m not cut out for the modern internet in any shape or form.

But here I am… and I have no plans on doing anything different.

Some of the feedback has made me think about opening an “off topic” forum. I’ve never done it, because we have one on garagejournal.com and it sort of disgusts me… But maybe if it were pretty well locked down, focused on cars at least, and made a little money it would be worth the ungodly effort of moderating it? I dunno… I’m chin deep in a bathroom remodel right now.

rod1, 54delray, Lucky Burton and 9 others like this.
  25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

On the other hand, The HAMB has traction in spades!

We can't win every fight, sometimes it's best to happily walk away with just a bloody nose.
    Now, I thought I had a grip on my dislike for channeled cars...................
    Until the Khougaz roadster entered my orbit.

Then
    upload_2022-7-29_15-19-46.png

upload_2022-7-29_15-26-9.png

Now

upload_2022-7-29_15-28-1.png

upload_2022-7-29_15-28-31.png

Stan Back, AHotRod, Okie Pete and 6 others like this.
  26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I got to drive that car… It’s actually pretty damned fast. And while I looked a bit like a monkey fucking a football with my 6’3” frame shoved in there, I love the look of the car without me in it.

Over restored for sure, but in a good way if that makes sense…

AHotRod, lothiandon1940 and Stogy like this.
  27. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

I'm probably going to get into trouble but, I like it here and have no beef with any of the opinions. it's so simple to just read the rules and if you have an issue then just ask a moderator for guidance. Don't turn this into a pissing contest. There will always be folks that ask the "well, what if" questions.
    If I am off base, just chalk it up to old age and Nitro inhalation.

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Maybe not as a "off topic" section, but a companion to the HAMB, like Dogfight was supposed to be? Cover later years up to maybe the mid 70's or 80's, engines designed in the 1960's or 70's as the newest allowed. Stuff that fits that era like street freaks and day 2 muscle cars that many of us grew up with and in that doesn't fit the HAMB criteria. No LS or Ford Mod motors or late Hemis, just good old cast iron big and small blocks with carbs like we all ran. I love the traditional stuff, but also love the stuff like that I grew up with. I agree, you would still need limits on what was allowed, some folks won't like it, but you can't please everyone. Some will say, "There's plenty of other places for that" without ever giving an actual site or reference point, and maybe there is, but nothing that I have found that has the same spirit and information that the HAMB has. I'm a simple man, I like simple carbs and hop ups and not computer controlled stuff.

I'd be willing to help in any way I can.

Oh, and be careful in that bathroom remodel, they can get crappie on you in a hurry! :D:D:D

Okie Pete, Stogy and SS327 like this.
  29. SS327

SS327

Now that sounds like a great idea! I myself love carbed engines, straight axles, 4 speeds but can’t afford old bodies or have the means to go retrieve one from some where else. I don’t have the time to rebuild some rotted out body either. But I do have some mid 70s cars laying around to build.

Stogy likes this.
  30. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

A lot of this falls into the case of " if you know.....you know". In the aethsetics dept anyway. You just know when it has that traditional feel or flair. Im not talking like LSs' with carbs and stuff like that, but lets say a guy is able to come up with an EFI system (or some/any modern system) (and not just a modern system, just different) that seriously looks like it is a traditional setup. Its hard to put into words, but every once and a while people pull it off. To me, that is innovative. It truely has that whole traditional vibe about it. There has to be some room for that somewhere. In the same breath, I understand that would be extremely hard to moderate.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022