Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 235 Clutch question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K13, Jul 26, 2022.

1. I was wondering if anyone here could give me a suggestion on what vehicle I would look at to get a replacement clutch for my truck. The engine is a 235 that was in a 1953 GMC truck (Canadian made ). I ordered NAPA's "Guaranteed Fit" clutch kit only to find it is too small. They are the only ones up here that I have had any luck getting parts for this engine from so they have been my go to. My truck was equipped with an 11" clutch so that is what I will need to replace. Napa only lists one option for clutch kits for this truck and it is the smaller one that doesn't work

Any suggestions on what other vehicle would have come with a 235 and an 11" clutch that I could try and order would be greatly appreciated.

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

3. Gofannon

Gofannon

Make sure it's not a 10 3/4". More likely to be a 10 3/4" than 11" in those years.

4. I am just measuring across the clutch disk? 20220726_152811.jpg

5. Thanks. Ordering out of the US is a last resort as I am trying to get this thing back together for a show the week after next and $300 for shipping to get it here on time is hopefully avoidable. When I search that vehicle on NAPA's site they show 10" and 12" options but no 11".

That seems to be a bit of my problem is I have a feeling what was standard in the US was not the same here in Canada for most of these vehicles.

6. Ok I found an 11" clutch listed for a 1962 suburban with a 235 so I guess my questions is does anyone know if a clutch is a clutch if it's going into the same engine or could there be differences? I have already ordered 2 that were the wrong ones would like to not make it a trifecta as NAPA's system up here sucks.:D

https://www.napacanada.com/en/search?text=clutch&referer=v2

7. Does the NAPA listing have the specs for the center hub? You need to make sure the diameter and splines are the same as your old clutch. Something like 1 inch 10 spline or whatever actual, since my memory isn't close enough to remember exactly.

8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1-1/8” x10 spline.

SS327 likes this.
  9. No they don't give any info just "guaranteed fit". I am running a Saginaw behind it.

10. NoelC

NoelC

Your probably talking to one of those youthful counter salesman. Presentable, can work a computer, pull from a shelf, work for the wage provided, but no clue about cars and car parts.
    Not saying I do but looking at the picture of your clutch disc... how about brake cleaner clean it really good and reuse it? What did the pressure plate surface look like?

11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

427 sleeper likes this.
  12. Thanks Mark! According to that list it looks like the Suburban one will work. Napa has given me the contact info for tech support for the company that makes their clutches so hopefully they can give me some more specifics about the clutch as well.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Moriarity likes this.
  13. junkman8888

junkman8888

Have you tried to find someone up in Canada that can re-line your clutch disk?

14. The clutch company had more info on the 11" clutch for the Suburban and they said it's 1 1/8" 10 spline so I ordered from NAPA. Hopefully third times a charm. I should know tomorrow.

SS327 likes this.
  15. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Did you try Gary @ Gary Automotive?
    Last clutch kit I needed for a 235 (car) he had a LUK in stock.

16. GM 11" clutches should be easy to find. Double down on a local company that rebuilds clutches.

17. I have no issues getting them. Purolator is dropping off a new clutch every day. Lol. It was figuring out what I needed that was the problem.o_O Part of the issue was my hope of trying to get something quickly. Around here it takes 3-5 days for anyone to get anything that's not a modern part in if you go into a store where as I can get them next day delivered to my door if inorder online. Even NAPA can get it to my door next day, free shipping and 10% lower price if I order online but I would have to wait 4 days to order the same part through the local NAPA store.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  18. Just to wrap this up Purolator delivered clutch number three today and it appears to be the correct one.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions. Probably would have been a lot less hassle if Napa had some info on their site other than "guaranteed fit" so you knew what you were getting before hand but they were at least helpful in getting it resolved.

harpo1313, X38 and Moriarity like this.
  19. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What would be really helpful is someone who knew what in the hell they were doing behind the parts counter!!! :rolleyes:

'34 Ratrod and bobss396 like this.
  20. I had a great NAPA by work, when I was working... but it closed up. The one close to me, terrible. They soaked me for a $100 press charge to swap 2 axle bearings. Then almost everything I bought there for my Ford has soiled the bed. Brake light switch, ignition switch, solenoid, etc.

21. Well apparently all the 11" clutches are not the same for GM products. The clutch disc is right but the pressure plate is not. So back to square one. I used the bushing out of the new one as I quickly put it up against the old one when I got it and I mustn't have been paying close enough attention/rushing because I thought it was correct one so I may end up with a really expensive clutch plate and reuse my old pressure plate.:(

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It takes some sorting out but Rock Auto is an excellent source for part numbers by brand that you can go to a local parts house with and have them cross the number if they don't have that brand.

I tried using Napa to find some simple parts for someone earlier today and while they showed part online they didn't have enough info to write home about. It's gotten to where O'Reilly's site gives you more info on the part and if you click on compatibility it tells you what other rigs it fits.

23. According to Rock Auto's list of compatible vehicles the clutch I ordered should have fit. It doesn't.

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

what about it is different??

25. The case on the pressure plate is slightly larger and the bolt holes don't line up. I am starting to wonder, if as @Gofannon said I have an 10 3/4" that someone put an 11" clutch plate in because they couldn't find the right one or if is some weird Canadian only thing. I looked at Rock Auto again and don't even see a 10 3/4" listed. The have 9 1/8", 10", 11" and 12" The clutch plate looks identical to the one I pulled splines work etc.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

could you have your flywheel drilled for the 11 inch clutch? Do you have a good machine shop nearby that could do that for you? or I suppose you could have your orig pressure plate rebuilt

27. I don't think the flywheel could be drilled. I think it will take the holes too close to the outer edge. To be honestly I don't even know if the pressure plate needs to be rebuilt it was the one that came with the engine and I just figured since I had this all apart to replace the main seal I should replace it so I didn't have to do it again. What would constitute needing it to be rebuilt.

28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

if there is wear on the surface, or if the springs are weak. If it wasn't slipping before maybe it is ok to re use it

29. I took it in to a local rebuilder and he said it needs to be redone. Probably going to cost me 3 times as much as a clutch kit but appears to be the only option at this point. :rolleyes:He said he would call it an 11" as well even though the pressure plate measures a little under that. Still a mystery I guess as to what it actually is. LOL

Moriarity likes this.