Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 28 A Shell on 26 T- right height

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Fisher400, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Hello,

I am working on a 27 T roadster on 28 Model A frame (flathead, dropped axle, 3 speed etc). Very pre-war look. With that said, I am getting ready to have a radiator made for this. Planning US Rad or Brassworks. They make a 28 Model A flathead rad for about the same price and have told me I can modify the height a few inches at no extra cost.
    I would like to modify the 28 shell to get the right "look" for the smaller model T body. Dropping the shell and or chopping the rad a few inches.

Some ideas I have are:
    Option 1-Block up the body a little, running side pipes so the gap will be covered. Thinking 1/2"- 1" max.
    Option 2- I could order the rad chopped up to 2" or more and then notch the bottom and lower the 28 rad. This presents the problem of the bottom of the shell exposing a gap between the bottom of the rad...not a look I am going for.
    Option 3- I could block the body up, small chop on the rad AND lower where the rad mounts on the crossmember (cutting and lowering the mounting location). Dropping the rad/shell safely 1" if needed before touching the spring shackle (with crank hole shaved off).

Has anyone else modified the 28 A shell to fit the T body? Am I on the right track or over thinking this? Option 3 seems like a lot of work with the crossmember. If I can block and chop the rad, that works for me but I feel I run the risk of exposing the bottom of the radiator. I want all fins shown like original, no bottom tank or gaps.

Open to ideas or if you got it to work and have the measurements to make it look right, I would be grateful for some insight!
    Below are some cars I feel got the height "right" in my mind. Their rads/engines are different of course. Maybe up close they aren't perfect but from what I see they appear lower than stock.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

alanp561 likes this.
  2. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Below are two pics of the mock up right now with the rad shell just sitting on the frame. Stock height I think is up 1/4"-1/2" from there. 2nd picture you can see how the shell is higher than the body. Body is shimmed 3/4".

Attached Files:

3. chop&drop

chop&drop

I would set the body on the frame (no blocks), trim the sides of the radiator shell to get the height you want then have the radiator made to fit.

dmar836, Budget36, Fisher400 and 3 others like this.
  4. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Thanks! Good advice, then tweak things with body blocks afterwards? My only concern is if I reduce the height of rad and drop the shell only, I will create a visible gap between the bottom of the rad and the shell. Rad is smaller and the shell is same size but lower.

5. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm working on a 27 T (old Speedway kit deal) that was channeled with a big radiator, it was channeled and the radiator looked high in comparison, I unchanneled the body and lowered the radiator from what the prior builder had done and got what I wanted . As Chop&drop said mocking it up and then having the radiaor made is a good idea.

Fisher400 likes this.
  6. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Ok, nice. Do you remember what you ended up taking out of the radiator off hand?

7. Early A shells always look like a fat chick in jeans when used on 26/7 bodies. Look a lot better narrowed up and dropped down for the correct hood line. I much prefer the stock T shell

8. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

I won't disagree and was planning to use the 26/7 shell initially, however T rads are meant to drop down into the T crossmember. I am running the A cross member so if you do a T rad and A bottom there is barely a radiator left.
    Starting to realize why everyone puts a 32 grill on everything!

Tman likes this.
  9. BINGO

10. Its all a matter of what you like.I think the 28-29 shell looks great.That pic of the car with head lights looks so nice.Pure prewar built from wreaking yard parts look.As long as a hood isnt in the plans being a bit tall doesnt matter.Run 28-29 head lights with it.

Fisher400 likes this.
  11. Interesting question for sure. I’m pondering the exact same thing.

Attached Files:

Tman and Fisher400 like this.
  12. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Right, I like the 28-29 shell and want this to be a little different than a 32 shell. Yea, the headlight car is THE LOOK haha. I found it on here somewhere so I might ask the guy what he did. If he can get a nail head rad to work, I am sure I can get a flatty to work/look right. You are right, no hood or panels so I can get away with it not being perfect but it still has to have the right look. Yes, I have 28 head lights and a bar for it.

13. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

I know...you try and be different and then realize why everyone does the same thing! haha BTW neat car!

14. EVERYTHING @Harrison builds is neat! BTW, @Fisher400 you have a PM

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I’d have to mock it up and see. The number of cars I see every day that were ruined by the grill height being set by the radiator they had in hand is astounding.

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Wait... Update an 'A' with a '32 shell. Likewise, do a '27 with an 'A' shell.

Lipstick on a pig? Same-o, same-o. I didn't do the 'A' shell on my '27 tub, it confuses the 'T'.

17. Spocker

Spocker

The T in your first picture (61 car) has a custom rad and I chopped a little off the bottom of the shell. It runs a hood too , and it lines up properly

Tman and Fisher400 like this.
  18. Spocker

Spocker

33364003-3A16-4F00-B75B-9FF4CAB91999.jpeg And the only pic I have with the hood on , is only placed. But you get the idea

Fisher400 and Budget36 like this.
  19. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

Thank you for sharing what you did to the car. Hope you don’t mind me referencing your car. It’s one I keep for reference/inspiration ;)

20. It's what I've done on both of mine running four bangers. I'm having another one built for the latest project which will have a flathead this time.

21. -Brent-

-Brent-

Most important deciding factor... what type of fan will you be running? I ask because the top hose and fan could be fighting for space (and the fan will win... hahah).

dmar836 and Tman like this.
  22. Fisher400

Fisher400
    from East coast

I will be running a small Ford 6 blade steel fan and the fan hub mount that adjusts. You can see the set up minus the fan in the initial mock up pics. You are right, figuring out the fan is essential but I am pretty sure I have the smallest fan and a set up that will allow me to adjust up/down to clear everything.