Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration TAIL LIGHTS, STOCK, MODIFIED OR AFTERMARKET?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 25, 2022.

1. I thought long and hard about the tail lights on the Ranch Wagon, I even went so far as to buy some early round Corvette lens and they looked ok but they didn't seem to improve the looks of the tail light's.

I finally decided to order new '54 lens

[​IMG]
    but omit the inner tail light lens bezel.

[​IMG]

I've lived with this look for 10 years and I still think I can improve the looks, any one with a 52-54 Ford car have any ideas?

[​IMG]

This thread is not limited to me but I would really like to see what others have done with any cars or trucks. HRP

mgtstumpy, CME1 and dana barlow like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’d glue/screw 55? Oldsmobile to the stock lenses after cutting out the center.

302GMC likes this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

Kind of looking for something different, too! Have Pontiac lights on the A and trying to find an easy to do replacement. Have been eyeing these lights (54 Ford), but can't find the diameter. Danny, could you help with that measurement? Thanks, Carp.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. I'll get you that measurement this afternoon . HRP

5. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Would a 50 Pontiac light fit in there? Maybe modify the stock lens and fit the Poncho light in it.

6. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I did the ‘55 Olds bullets on top of the ‘54 lenses. I don’t have a picture but it looks really cool.

And, like Jimmy six says, you need to cut out the ‘54 lens in the inside.

catdad49 likes this.
  7. catdad49

catdad49

Thanks, how is everything in South Carolina?!

8. Hotter than a 4 balled Tom Cat! :D HRP

catdad49 and nochop like this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Tail lights were fun to custom,and saw a number of neat things done.
    One way, was to use red plastic sheet cut to hole size{type used in signs that light came through} an add spikes or bullets.
    I wanted custom lights in my Full custom "J",in 1960, and the hot tail light from the time they were brand new in late 1958,was the Cady modal year 1959 red bullet*.
    The stock early Henry J, tail light hole was for a simple round flat tail light, and just happened to be the hole size for 59 Cady bullet with a very tiny bit of work for fit.
    They looked pretty cool,one each side, but were already starting to getting too be a go-to light on many customs by late 1960s!
    After looking at them for a month on my "J",I got a idea about how to custom the red plastic part.
    So I took them back out and cut the pointed tips off with a fine tooth hacksaw blade.
    Then polished the cut with toothpaste,and put the cut off tip up in side of light= now the tail light looked light a JET Engine. That I think was cool plus an not what others were doing!!! Sure wish I still had a rear photo of my "J",with the other cool stuff I had done to it showing!.
    Drawing maybe a bit too fast,but should get point across.

Cady 59 custom tail light by Dana in 19600005.jpg

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
    catdad49 and The Shift Wizard like this.
  10. I measures my taillight lens and it's 5". HRP

catdad49 likes this.
  11. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

How about lenses from an early Falcon. They had a more conical bullseye shape.
    Just a thought.