Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Don't Do as I Did

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swade41, Jul 23, 2022.

1. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Friend of mine almost burned his shop down and ruined the hood on his car with a similar "oh-shit" incident. Glad you weren't hurt and repairs can be made. Two steps forward and one step back.

bchctybob likes this.
  2. Having to replace burnt up wiring sucks, but on the bright side, the rest of the car survived, and you werent hurt.

427 sleeper likes this.
  3. Yes there's a fuse at the starter

20220723_183601.jpg

In hindsight I should've just lengthen the wire and attached it, but I was excited to just fire it off and got ahead of myself.
    Honestly I thought power came out of the alternator, through that wire to fuse box, out of box down to starter and battery connection to charge battery.
    Didn't really think power traveled out of it and into the alternator, that's why I just bent it out in free space, if I knew it was hot I would've at least wrapped it in electrical tape.

4. gene-koning

gene-koning

Way back on my 1st day in auto shop class, the instructor brought out a plywood board with a simple wire circuit connected with a very small battery. The circuit was set up with a dead short with a 10 gauge "hot" wire. When he connected the battery, the threw a switch and the entire class got to see a short circuited wire meltdown in real life. The whole show lasted about 30 seconds before it melted the 10 gauge "hot" wire. I'm sure he had a battery protection built in, the board had already been used for several years.

The lesson was: "This is what can happen when a 12 volt "hot" wire gets grounded out."
    Short, impactful, and something I never forgot. 12 volts doesn't sound like much power until you see it get shorted out and watch how quickly the damage occurs.

5. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Could have been worse."
    Yeah... I thought it WAS going to be worse with all your talk about "no gas leaks" and electricity.
    Fire bad.
    My truck had a fuel fire the other day out in the yard. AT THE FUEL TANK. Not fun. Wasn't sure whether I should put it out or run away and let it burn. You should have seen me running back and forth for the water hose and then the fire extinguisher.
    Got it out.
    Didn't blow up. :rolleyes:
    Glad you didn't.

6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I will tolerate spark ignition and electric lighting ...

427 sleeper and G-son like this.
  7. bchctybob

bchctybob

Bummer. One little short cut creates a whole bunch more work. Why does that sound so familiar?
    Glad it wasn’t worse and I sure don’t envy you finding and fixing the damaged wires and stuff.

427 sleeper likes this.
  8. Dang, I hate those little setbacks! But now you know what you're doing for the next Day or two. It's always the Small things that get us.

9. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

That sucks, but glad it wasn’t a lot worse.

10. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is the kind of thread that keeps @The37Kid up at night. Isn't it, Bob?

The37Kid likes this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

None of my cars will get wired, turn 72 in December. Goal is to have both in finish primer, doors all fit and gapped, hoods and fenders all aligned and I'll be happy.

Bob

12. 2Blue2

2Blue2

I look at the pictures and can smell the burnt wiring from here.
    Such a Bummer.
    Glad it wasn’t worse.

13. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to get another harness and rewire the whole thing, the fuse panel itself looks iffy plus all the wires being melted together, I'd hate to have missed something and have this fiasco happen again.
    Another reason is that I have several unused circuits and wires in this 21 circuit, like power window, power doors, etc etc that were just rolled up and wire tied, taking up space.
    I just need a basic harness that can handle an electric fan and fuel pump as "extras", probably go back to Painless since I have plugs at the gauge harness and couple other places that I'd like to just plug back into without rewiring all that too.
    Add it to the long list when you have 3 project cars, sadly this one was close only needing brake work after a "successful" start up, which it wasn't, some days I feel like throwing in the towel and letting someone else take the abuse awhile.

14. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

I was working as a gas station grease monkey when a car came in needing an alternator belt. Boy wonder here loosens up the alternator bolts letting it swing to where the battery wire hit the engine. I watched the wire burn while I was disconnecting the battery.

After I make a change to my car I always crank it over with a remote starter so I can see if things are going wrong under the hood. Except once. That time I managed to leave a fuel line clamp loose. I spent the best part of a week cleaning up fire extinguisher powder but at least the car and garage didn't burn down.

15. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Sucks to have something small cause a problem like that when it should have been a great moment. However glad it was just the harness and you weren’t hurt.

Don’t ever quit, that’s how we rust back into the ground!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    swade41 likes this.
  16. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

That wire is always "hot"...
    [​IMG]

17. Rand Man

Rand Man

If there is a mistake to be made, I’ve probably done that and been there before.

18. thanks for reminding me to also replace my generator wires... they're still original!
    just use a hand crank and magneto, with butane lamps!

Ned Ludd and 427 sleeper like this.
  19. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

:D
    Acetylene lighting is just the kind of rabbit hole I'd go down. I'm wary, though, because I might not come out for over a year ...

The_Cat_Of_Ages likes this.
  20. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a hot wire escape from a connector behind the dash in my OT car going down the road. The bare end settled on the steering column, shorted out and melted, filling the entire cabin with smoke. Scary when you're cruising at 50. Always keep a fire extinguisher in the car. I didn't have one then and I'm very very lucky the wire burned itself out.

21. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Ya really really dodged the bullet on that one Phil. Could of been the whole shop and all the So Cool Stuff in it! How come the Maxi Fuse didn't blow?

22. Or popped the fuse in the fuse box, since the stretch of wire melted was between fuse box and alternator.

23. tomcat11

tomcat11

Well that bites. I do know the feeling. I had a "56 chevy in high school and when I came out from 4th period class the kids walking towards me said "Hey your car's on fire". Smoked a lot of wiring under the hood and under the dash. Live and learn.