Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Rodder's Journal back in '22? Does anyone have any news?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thinkfink, Jun 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yes, I know them but I still haven’t gotten my 4 back issues yet. I have to wait same as everyone else.

2. Obviously there are going to continue to be those of you out there who wouldn't be happy if a panel truck pulled up in your driveway and dropped off all of your missed issues and merchandise and dumped a truck load of cash in a basket to try and appease you. You would likely complain that the truck drove on your grass. All of the smart-ass remarks aren't going to get the magazine back on track any sooner. All it's going to do is give you some sad bit of satisfaction that you've expressed your same opinion for the 25th time.

3. I have absolutely no dog in the fight, have never bought a single issue, however, I would imagine it would be hard to keep trying to move forward when every time you try to post an update on an unfortunate situation you are inundated with bashing and just a general shit storm. It would be for me. Just a thought.

4. Reminds me of a junk yard here out in the sticks. If they dont know you, they never have what you are looking for. If they know you or you have someone with you they know, your in.

Tman and Special Ed like this.
  5. OMG are you done whining yet? Lol

6. No whining. :)
    this is entertaining. TRJ posts here are usually pretty fun. I haven’t lost a dime. I regretted the lifetime offer I passed on. When the $50 offer came up, I considered it but the negativity or issues posted by subscribers on their FB page was the reason I just kept just using the book store. Honestly, TRJ was the only reason I went there.
    But reading complaints here sparked curiosity.
    We’re the issues on the part of the one complaining?
    We’re the issues on the part of TRJ?
    The “catch 22” like adventure this morning looking for an address was fun.
    It’s almost like someone with my sarcastic humor owns it.
    People watching is fun. I find the dissatisfied customer with honest issues, the dissatisfied customer hoping for the best, the customer ok with lousy service, and the ifI get screwed again I’m ok customer comments and views interesting.
    It’s a learning experience. Not a whining experience.
    It’s interactive television.

the best discussions are usually when you take the point of view you don’t necessarily agree with or opinion you may not have

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  7. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I’m just glad that when I finally do get a new issue of TRJ they will actually have a proofreader go thru everything before it’s printed and make sure there’s no missed punctuation or some confusing “there” for “they’re” or “your” for “you’re”! So much easier to understand someone’s point of view or what they’re talking about when there’s a simple grasp of the written word….

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Did you teach your class about R&C folding and how that all went down? Or any of the other mags that folded?

If you did, you could also use TRJ as teaching tool for showing how character matters… and how never giving up, no matter the situation, shows off that character. Dude is still working… and he’s not doing it because there is a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. There is no money in print… Steve is doing it because he has that dark weight on his shoulders… something someone that has never created something on his own could ever understand.

Your posts come across poorly to me… Like you could do it better. Like you know better. Like you are better. I think your posts suck and I am tired of reading them.

I and many others have stated that this whole situation could have been handled better many times. That much has been set in concrete. But you know what? I can’t think of a single instance in this industry of someone fighting back like TRJ is trying to do. Not one.

You can be a doubter. I get that… but this active shit stirring and routing against is bullshit. Total bullshit. And it smells of people looking for company at that bottom.

9. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Now I kind of wished I had subscribed as your scenario would definitely may me happy!

lothiandon1940 and PoTaToTrUcK like this.
  10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sarcastic humor is neither fun or entertaining.
    People watching like you refer to is like knowing your 30 lbs over weight and you go to the state fair only because you feel skinny there with 10,000 other people walking around more over weight than you are.

That make you feel better ?
    Think about that.

It’s one thing if a guy was dishonest about something, but in this case, the last 2 plus years things happened beyond anyone’s control, and the guy is trying to make it right.

Think about that too.

11. If you would like to present to the class, you are always welcome.
    But when you talk about tough times, just remember, if you have a roof, had a cooked meal in the last 24 hours and have someone that gives a flip about you, then the hardship story might not come across like you think.
    As far as class. I teach customer service, I have 2 options.
    One: a made up lame scenario provided by our curriculum.
    Two: A real life one that I can show a product with real reviews and comments. I’m sorry that happens to be your friend.
    But what you may not understand is that it’s not meant negative. It just is.
    They read the comments, good and bad. Come up with their own ideas to avoid the bad.
    The fact that after the bad that so many people still would send or invest money surprised them.
    With the fast food world we live in, having a product so good that even after reading all the bad that customers still want the product amazes them.
    I use it as an example of how quality work is important.
    The “johny law” reference is a reference to a students comment
    “Some deliver poor quality and still have customers, some have very high quality but can’t deliver a product and still have customers”

If that’s BS to you, I’m fine with that.
    If you have more to add to the lesson, I’ll present it to them.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
  12. If you read that into it, that’s a surprise to me.
    The “entertainment” is not the failure or struggles of the TRJ
    The entertainment or wonder has been the response.
    the discussion/differing opinions is the entertaining part. No one I know, including myself is cheering for a failure. But, for some reason, that my mind can’t process, anything not kissing the TRJ’s ass is considered bad.
    I just don’t understand that.

13. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I stand by my statement.
    With reviews, both good and bad it’s the painters presentation that paints the picture.
    That’s a part of what Ryan was referring to.
    And it’s not kissing ass.

Your posts have a negative approach.
    The last 2 plus years have created many things beyond control in many cases and continuing to bringing the negatives is like kicking a man when he’s down. Not cool.
    The guy is trying to make things right.
    Enough said.

Maybe teach your students the complete details …. Complete…..

Shitty teachers don’t tell the whole story.
    Get my point ?

Customer service …..

Tell the complete story to them and I’d be more than happy to do a zoom meeting with your class.

Really.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You need to stop posting homie. It’s quickly becoming clear that you are part of the audience I no longer want to cater. And this isn’t a business, so…

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I have no dog in this fight but I think it would be best if there were no further responses on this thread. Everyone just go wait by your mailboxes and shut the hell up and let the man work .....

alfin32, 19Eddy30, rod1 and 24 others like this.
  16. upload_2022-7-24_19-52-8.jpeg

SilverJimmy likes this.
  17. 5window

5window

Sounds okay to me.

18. being a subscriber for a long time . yes I have issue one to present ( not 85 yet I'm waiting like every other guy) I really find your comments unamusing . I really don't bother reading your ramblings to what you post .. TRJ is going to make things right, give the guy a chance .. When print is gone its gone.. I choose to support them not to doubt ...

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

#85 is going to be awesome I cannot wait.
    Steve and crew you folks are working hard for us from misfortune and thank you.
    Did I say #85 is going to be awesome?

20. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

The Phoenix edition!

21. brando1956

brando1956

I have stayed out of this because shamefully, I did not have a sub to TRJ. If Steve revives it, I will sign up. I have a different viewpoint on what Steve has been through. Little mention has been made of Steve caring for his mother in her final days. A few offhand comments have been offered, but I see little understanding of his experience.
    Caring for a terminally ill loved one is one of the most grueling experiences I have endured, and I have been through some real shit. I haven't shared any of this on the HAMB because I don't want to be a whiner. A drill sergeant once told me that if I was looking for sympathy, I could find it in the dictionary between shit and syphilis. But I spent the last three years caring for my wife, who was terminally ill. We lost the battle three months ago. I am still caring for my mother, who is 86 y/o and just found she has cancer. I had to retire at 63, and took a hit on my retirement. That in addition to the massive cost of my wife's long illness, doesn't allow the luxury of hiring any help, so it's all up to me. I suspect Steve was in the same boat, as I have heard no suggestions that he is wealthy. I had limited help from family, due to long distance. If Steve was the only one caring for her, he didn't have time to run a business.
    If you've never done this, you have no idea what an all-consuming effort it is. Those of you who have understand what it's like to spend every day trying to keep someone alive and offer some comfort. I had to learn to cook and clean and all that other stuff some call "woman's work" and as a former SGT E5 with 1-503rd Infantry, 101st Airborne, ain't no kind of girly-man. I have a decently equipped shop but haven't had time to do anything but keep my daily going. If you care about someone, nothing else is more important, be it a business, a job, or a hobby. I lost all those things but I'm still getting out of bed every morning and giving it my best shot. It sounds like Steve is doing the same thing. Give the guy a break to give him a chance to get back on his feet.
    A lot of us got screwed on former Petersen publications subscriptions they didn't deliver on. I renewed Hot Rod Deluxe the month before it folded and never received another issue. They cashed my $42 check when they knew they were shutting it down. They were a big company and I doubt that any of the management lost out like their employees and subscribers. TRJ was a much smaller operation that had less capital available to cushion the shitshow COVID became. Steve was faced with the perfect storm. What would you critics have done were you in his shoes?
    Hoping he reads this, I have one thought for Steve. The measure of toughness is not in how much punishment you can deliver. It's how much you can endure.

22. twenty8

twenty8

Amen.
    Perspective is a wonderful thing.
    My thoughts are with you @brando1956 . Keep paddling man, just keep paddling.

As for TRJ, and all other people and businesses out there trying to keep things afloat in these weird and trying times,
    may the wind be at your back and may the sun shine warm upon your face.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  23. Let's look to the future, say by this time next year hopefully the conversation will be The Rodders Journal is better than it ever was, if that's possible!

Maybe the Hamb can host a banquet for the naysayers and cheerleaders alike, the main entrée will be crow and the cheerleaders will be serving it, I'm just jokin' or am I. :DHRP

24. brady1929

brady1929

Can someone please close this thread?

57 Fargo, Jeff Norwell and hidez57 like this.
  25. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

27. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Pat Ganahl has a write up of issue 85 on his website be sure to check it out especially all the negative Nates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.