Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Mercury FE engine in 1957?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ralph Moore, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Thank you! Obviously Kultulz, has a reading problem!

Bones

chryslerfan55, egads and blowby like this.
  2. sunbeam

sunbeam

So by thinking if a car was made late in the year then almost every car had a 2 year run.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

They were actually made in two years, but only for 12 months. Back it the old days the model year was from January to December, then some manufacturers started bringing their new year models out a little early to make sales! Then it snowballed and now the “ model” year is actually from about July to June! So , now, they actual have more cars built in the previous year than the actual year model, considering the tooling up and down.

It’s just marketing.

Bones

egads and Truckedup like this.
  4. I keep my tank topped and exist on this side of reality, unlike you and the other MOE-RON.

KULTULZ - Trying for his 2nd ARTICLE 15.

BANNED - FORDBARN FORUM _3.JPG

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

We were simple discussing the first appearance of the FE and we stated facts! Then this guy lowered himself to name calling because he did not agree with us. It’s easy to be a name caller on the keyboard. I’m blocking this post!

Bones

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. Original Post -

I saw a 57 Ford station wagon for sale the other day, pretty solid and very complete. I had the seller open the hood and instead of the Y-block 312 I was expecting, there was an FE engine with Mercury valve covers.

I've seen a lot of FE's but never one from Mercury.

According to the seller the car was special ordered by the original owner in 1957, driven only 29,000 miles before the owner died in 1964, and the cars been sitting inside a shed since.

The mileage was correct and the car was in excellent shape except for a few small rust holes, But I was suspicious of the FE engine. Did they make them as early as 57?

Now there is the original post. What does it say?

HINT- Try reading without moving your lips and no, there are no illustrations.

Now, again. Show me a 1957 production FOMOCO car that came through with an FE or MEL.

You guys been sucking off those left-handed cigarettes again?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. I’m blocking this post!

THANK YOU! Maybe put me on IGNORE also so I won't have to trip across this tripe again.

8. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

I really had a good time with this thread! All the EX-SPERTS make me smile and give me warm fuzzies......I'm with you KULTULZ!

PoTaToTrUcK likes this.
  9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m guessing the first modern Chevrolet and Pontiac V8’s were all 54’s because you could buy one in Sept/Oct of 1954.

427 sleeper and SS327 like this.
  10. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

What's an FE?

nosford likes this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

“Ford Engine”…extra heavy intake.

nosford, 427 sleeper and seb fontana like this.
  12. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Actually no, it stands for Ford-Edsel, and MEL is Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln

Boneyard51, RMR&C and egads like this.
  13. As they say, "Pictures or it didn't happen," and in this day and age of cell phone cameras there's almost no excuse to have a few to post or link to. I'd suspect if a FE-series engine and Mercury-stamped covers were installed that it'd be a 390 cu.in. '61-'64-vintage engine. Clues would be color of valve covers/air cleaner and style of air cleaner if the engine was unmolseted, not to mention engineering and casting date codes on the intake manifold, block and exhaust manifolds; cylinder head date codes would require pulling the valve covers to see, but the engineering codes would be between the center exhaust ports/spark plugs.

nosford and Hillbilly Werewolf like this.
  14. I watched a movie the other night called Saturday Fiction. Set in 1941, the lead character was being carted around in a 1949 Buick. Maybe it's like that....

15. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

And that’s all she wrote…
    Thanks for coming out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.