Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cleaning a Flathead block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billfunk29, Jul 23, 2022.

1. billfunk29

billfunk29
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I am cleaning up a Ford flathead that is in pretty good shape. Hoping to keep the bottom end in tact. So, after half hour poking welding rods in the water jacket (through the water pump holes) I figured there must be a better way. Having just put a new clutch cable in my Corvair, a light went on. Took a section of the cable and unwound it a few inches. Then put it in the drill. Got about 1/3 of a red-solo-cup of scale out. Any suggestions on other ways to de-scale a block without taking it apart?
    scale1.jpg scale2.jpg scale3.jpg

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.
  2. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

The only way to get it all is have it stripped.

3. banjorear

banjorear

Are the heads off of the motor?

4. Flathead Freddie

Flathead Freddie

Your wire cable whisk broom is nice . Welding rod is one way . Carl with the flathead FED taught me to use 1/4 " stainless rod and I also use 1/8 "" SS rod . I lay the block on a 5/8 pressed board and rock it tumble slightly see all the stuff come out also fish the flakes out with magnets . If your looking for a quick solution perhaps compressed air will do it on an extended pipe but don't tell me your eyes are swelled and your coughing up rust flakes . I'm sure some have tried bead blasting but I'm not telling !

5. PackardV8

PackardV8

Having done this for fifty years, anything less than stripping the block, removing all the hard and soft plugs, running it through a caustic pressure wash is just kidding yourself.

jack vines

deucemac, alanp561 and kevinrevin like this.
  6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Coke-Cola works according to tik-tok videos showing filthy toilets.o_O

7. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Do it right and like PackardV8 says.This is not the step to save time or a buck on a Ford Flathead.

8. indyjps

indyjps

You mentioned keeping the bottom end together.
    Is this a known good running engine ?

9. billfunk29

billfunk29
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

The engine should run but I don't know long it has been since the last time. I want a running engine in the car to sort things while I am building. Whole thing will come apart for finishing, including engine rebuild. Just need it clean enough to not contaminate the rest of the cooling system.