Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cleaning a machined block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobj49f2, Jul 21, 2022.

1. The machine shop that we use at work still has and uses the old style caustic hot tank. They dipped and old Qjet SBC intake for me about six months ago and it came out clean. This is not the machine shop I use for my stuff, he has a jet washer, it does ok, but not the same as a hot tank. When I was in Tech School from 1992-94, the College had a hot tank and it was awesome, I dipped everything I could and it took paint and everything off. Today, being older and somewhat wiser than when I was 18, I wonder what was in that hot tank solution.

alanp561 likes this.
  2. Caustic soda,,,,or Lye as most people know it .
    Extremely corrosive,,,,,,and will burn you,, (flesh ),,,badly .
    It will eat aluminum or pot metal like it is melting ,,,,it will degrease iron or steel very well .
    But it really won’t take away the rust from an iron block,,,,maybe somewhat,,,,,,but it’s not really a de rusting agent .
    But it will get rid of oil , grease,and paint .

Tommy

Tow Truck Tom, alanp561 and 57 Fargo like this.
  3. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I filled the water chambers with CLR, diluted 5 to 1 with water. I foamed up overnight but when I drained the block it came out pretty clean so it probably didn't do much. It still had a bite when some of it splashed on me.

I have the block completely disassembled and have the casting plugs out. I was going to degrease it and pressure wash it this afternoon but ran out of time before some pretty nasty weather came through. I'll be doing it tomorrow.

IMG_20220723_203640456.jpg

IMG_20220723_181622256.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2022
    alanp561 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  4. We still have a caustic hot tank at the college, works great, and yes it’s sodium hydroxide (Lye). No it won’t hurt machined surfaces.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  5. Joe H

Joe H

6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Gave the block a bath today and cleaned the head.

IMG_20220724_155801506.jpg IMG_20220724_155809125.jpg IMG_20220724_141834315.jpg

winr, alanp561 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Scrub with dawn , every hole with rifle cleaning brushes , including crank . Do it 2x , blow it dry , hose it down with Gibbs

alanp561 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  8. I tell our students when we make them scrub blocks after honing, when you think it’s done clean it twice more!

alanp561 likes this.
  9. 327Eric

327Eric

Aircraft paint remover to remove the sludge and external grease worked in the past, followed by a lot of handwork. Now I pay my machinest and clean it till I bleed

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Pretty much all good info has been suggested. When I was fresh out of Hogh School I worked at a machine shop /Racing Engine Builder shop. I ran the hot tanks and cleaned up everything before and after machining. It’s very surprising how much dirt is still in them after they look clean even a finish honed cylinder. I used Powdered Tide soap and a plastic brush to clean cylinders up then wiped them down with WD 40 or a light oil. My only advice is when you think you have it clean, clean it again! If it’s really funky you can rent the steam pressure washers they will clean it properly.

alanp561 likes this.
  11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I understand the hot water and tide clean.. But if I blow dry it surface rust haze appears before I can get the WD-40 to it, especially on the machined surfaces, especially cylinders. Maybe its my well water or I am just slow? Years ago I bought a kit that had some special anti rust rinse but it didn't work for me. So rinse, attack with WD-40 then blow the water off?

Tow Truck Tom and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

WD means water dispersant, just spray it down and the water should run right off, wd40 will dry out after a while so you’ll need to keep an eye on it if you plan to store for a long period.

13. I put together my 355, I used what was supposed to be "lint free" Scott shop towels along the way. After it was ran a while, I had a valve cover off it (small leak) and saw evidence of lint suspended in the oil.

14. I recall one shop with a hot tank close to the front counter, they always had it going for cylinder heads mostly. I would go home after buying parts and still smell the solvent on my clothes. I cannot believe that working there 40 hours a week was good for you. Plus now with all the regulations and waste disposal, they are a thing of the past.

Budget36 likes this.
  15. sunbeam

sunbeam

I still have one for my own use. It will eat up almost anything but iron and steel.

squirrel likes this.
  16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

We've still got one where I work, but not for the public. Procedure is to clean an engine block in caustic, wash, then put it in inhibited acid, which removes all the rust. Then back to the caustic tank to make sure there's no residual acid present. This is a really top notch cleaning procedure, no sediment or rust left in water jackets etc.

We also still have a vapour degreaser, I think, but sadly they don't like looky-loos hanging around anymore.

bobss396 and Budget36 like this.