Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1933 roadster build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DeadFast 33, Jul 7, 2021.

1. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Good point, and I like my head where it is!!

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  2. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

It’s always great when you dream up an idea and obsess over it and then make it a reality! I got the inner fender panels and the behind the grill piece louvered and installed. Still working on fit and finish. Not sure about paint or if I’m going to leave them scitchbrited….?

Thank you to the menages twins speed shop for using my templates and making these pieces for me!! I could be more happy!!

FLiP

Attached Files:

3. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

That looks great!

Stogy and DeadFast 33 like this.
  4. loudbang

loudbang

For me it would depend on your final color choice but thinking bare would look pretty good. :)

DeadFast 33 and brady1929 like this.
  5. Squablow

Squablow

I like the engine turned wheel discs, they're believable as something a guy would have done in the early 50's. Paint match is surprisingly good, and I'm OK with it when you're making panels match existing old paint, even if it is just a hood. Curious to know what you did to get it to match so well.

I like the inner fender panels too, although I feel like they should be painted, or have old chrome on them (no idea how that would be done), as-is the design matches beautifully but they are clearly freshly fabricated in bare metal like that.

Just Gary, brEad, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  6. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Yeah the freshness of the raw aluminum is tough. I’m going to try a few aging process for the aluminum of the panels and roll pan and see if ot works, if not I’ll paint them to match the body.

As for the technique I’m still experimenting and after this car is done I’ll do a little sharing.

FLiP

brEad, Stogy, Squablow and 1 other person like this.
  7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

8. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Thanks handsome!!

loudbang, Stogy and Jeff Norwell like this.
  9. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

I got a little distracted building my 33 but getting rid of the distractions was step one, but receiving the freshly louvered parts from Marc Nelson really kicked my butt into gear!!!!

Attached Files:

10. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

So now that the fab is done it’s time to tear it down and get it out together for good and hopefully I can have it ready for the RPM nationals!!!

You gota go so far backward to go forward.

More progress soon,
    FLiP

Attached Files:

11. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Cheapskate alert!!!! I didn’t want to send my super mint grill out for chrome cuz it would’ve been too nice, so I painted it!!!! I got some #culturehustlemirrorpaint and got after it. I’m going to paint the bars flat black and wanted the surround to be kina’ shiny and this nailed it!!!! If I would’ve body worked it and sprayed it I’m sure it would be even better, but this is a perfect 10 footer.
    It was recently blasted so I self etched it and after that dried I got to brush’n on the chrome and I love it. It looks like crusty old chrome. @culturehustle thank you

The picture of my old 3w grill is just so we can see what a cherry grill looks like

FLiP

Attached Files:

12. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

Looks really decent!

DeadFast 33 likes this.
  13. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Got the chassis and bits back from the blaster and got a little color on it. Also spent today getting things lined and back together to make it a roller. I’m very excited and should have something to look at real soon!!!

FLiP

Attached Files:

14. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Looks great Flip!

DeadFast 33 and Outback like this.
  15. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

I got myself a half roller today. Waiting on the drive line to be built so I can instal the rear ended and torque tube and have me a full roller!!

FLiP

Attached Files:

Jeff Norwell, Squablow, brEad and 5 others like this.
  16. meeksie

meeksie
    from Australia

Been a pleasure reading this build thread, I really like the style of build you are doing.
    The louvers on the rear are my favourite part. Looking forward to future updates and thanks for taking the time to share your build with us.

DeadFast 33 and Outback like this.
  17. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Today I got 4 on the ground. The brakes are plumbed now I have to bleed em’. A little more to do with the chassis and then the body will get dropped on and hopefully have it going soon there after.

i got the seat webbing done and I also built the exhaust I’m just trying to figure out weather I’m going to add mufflers or not???

……….progress

FLiP

Attached Files:

18. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

AWESOME, so close now!!

DeadFast 33 likes this.
  19. Just found your thread. Amazing work and the car looks killer!!

Well done,

Brian B

DeadFast 33 likes this.
  20. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

So some cool shit has happened…..progress!!! I mated the trans to the motor for good and plopped them in the chassis for good. I also installed the exhaust 1.0 and will complete the rest of it after I install the body and figure out the belly pan/roll pan situation.

RPM nationals here I come!!

FLiP

Attached Files:

21. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Looking good, will follow this build

22. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Got the body on and the steering box in……only going forward from here!!

FLiP

Attached Files:

hfh, Shaun1162, anothercarguy and 4 others like this.
  23. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've done 4 Flathead 32 roadsters 2 with and 2 without mufflers. I use 2 inch exhaust so without the mufflers I get a really racy sound. I think I'm going to do my new roadster without mufflers? No Muffs makes it a lot easier to run the exhaust. What transmission are you using? Really like your build.

Stogy, DeadFast 33 and Elvis100 like this.
  24. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

I’m running a 4x4 s10 t5 with closed drive adapter. Really slick and solves a lot of problems in a traditional setting….a little new tach in a low tech environment.

I’ve decided to run 2.5 exhaust straight out no mufflers. Optimizing flow and I think flatheads make enough back pressure on their own. When I first started this build the car was going to be supercharged so I figure more in=more out.

FLiP

Last edited: Jul 19, 2022
    Outback, Stogy and Jeff Norwell like this.
  25. Coming together nicely, liking the latest version of the hubcaps. Has your wifes car been relegated to storage unit and prop for project parts? Fordors have feelings too.

26. ratreo

ratreo

“I feel it’s turning out pretty convincingly. The last struggle is getting the sheen of the two to match a bit closer.”

Your roadster is coming out great from end to end

It’s going to sound utterly crazy as a solution to your “sheen matching problem” but you may consider using a cleanser like Bon Ami. It’s active material is quite mild compared to something like Comet cleanser and I don’t think that it has bleach in it. Wash it using a rough towel and it will tone down the sheen as little or as much as you’d like.

I waited for months to try to get into the schedule of a paint shop to get my truck painted. I had already put a sizable sum down for the materials and the final job. Then the pandemic hit and I got pushed completely out, so I found someone that supposedly could paint a semi-flat finish. Everything was prepped, taped off and the major parts were hung in the booth (the doors, fenders and bed were on stands or hung so that they could be shot on all sides)

The guy didn’t know how to shoot satin, even with the proper materials.
    None of the panels matched. Some were flat, some dry spray, some glossy, some dull. I needed to sell the truck so I killed the brand new paint (and took a ton of life out of the paint) by using Bon Ami

In my case the parts could be worked on by supporting them on stands. In your case the car is assembled. I would suggest that you make sure to throughly rinse out any joints that the cleanser got into. That way you won’t have any problems in the future

To date I still can’t get my money back without suing the company. Such is our world

27. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

For now….I’m obsessed with getting the roadster done!!

28. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Lame body shop BS!!! That sounds in line with what I was thinking though I didn’t have a specific product in mind, thank you for the tip and testimonial.

FLiP

Outback likes this.
  29. DeadFast 33

DeadFast 33
    from Santa Cruz

Chipping away and I’m not gona lie my dick is getting really hard right now!!!! Gota deal with the upper radiator hoses and wire the car and then add fuel and fire.

FLiP

Attached Files:

30. Squablow

Squablow

Looking better with every update. At some point I would still like to hear about the methods used to match the other paint to the hood. But either way, keep up the updates, I've got all the bits of a '34 I'd like to assemble at some point and this is motivating.

Outback, woodiemike and DeadFast 33 like this.