Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Route 66, my family, and a 63 wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Driveway builder, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Yes! That was us! Lol Thank God we broke down a 1/4 mile from Bozo’s. His welder was the save of our trip for sure.

chryslerfan55 and Texas57 like this.
  2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

When my son went to college at Texas Tech we made a trip each Fall & Spring in his '54 Studebaker wagon to and from Lubbock. Every one was an adventure! So don't count her out when she gets to college. :)

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

4B56FC1A-0373-4DA6-B5C1-1D184B1DAFF6.jpeg 2A8448E2-F38B-41D2-BCB5-AF0744BDDA8A.jpeg Just WOW! How did I miss this post! I just read it from start to finish and have to say, good job!
    I identify with Route 66, having traveled it many times since 1952. I don’t remember it until my trip back to Oklahoma from California with my folks in October of 1957. It took us a week to get back with my Dad and I driving a 1937 Ton and a half Ford truck ( which I still have) loaded pulling a four wheel trailer, loaded! My Mom in a 53 Ford station wagon pulling a Shasta camper and my Uncle in a 1936 GMC pick up pulling a trailer. Being six years old, I took it all in and can remember it like it was yesterday! A big adventure for a kid! You are making those memories with your children and it will stay with them , forever!
    I remember another trip with my folks in that 53 wagon in 1962 to Illinios,Kentucky and Tennessee area. We saw a ton of interesting things!

My mother, just got back from a trip to the flight 93 memorial last week! At 98 she was determined to see it , so my baby sister took her on another road trip!

Driveway…..keep up the good work! And like you say…..there are a ton of good people in the USA!

Bones

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Good stories! We took lots of 66 trips when I was a kid at least the Amarillo to LA part before heading north the the Bay Area. One round trip was in a late 40s International K Model 2 ton. My brother & I rode in the bed on the return trip with furniture my mom's uncle had given her set up like a room. The last trip my dad & I made was in '59 in an overloaded '52 Dodge 1/2 ton pulling a big overloaded trailer. That Dodge 6 was amazing!
    100_2293.jpg

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I rode in the back of a 1959 half ton pick up from Oktaha , Okla to Ventura , California in 1962, when we sold my grandparents house, due to my grandmother dying! Rode back in the cab , as we brought her 1955 Ford Fairlane back to Oklahoma with us, so we had enough room for everyone inside!
    I ended up putting a 430 MEL in that 55 Ford!
    I still have that truck, also!

Bones

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    chryslerfan55 and Six Ball like this.
  6. Driveway builder

Driveway builder

Yeah man! Every road trip we have taken so far have been awesome. But nothing will ever compare to our 66 trip… I don’t any of us will ever forget it.

Six Ball, TFoch and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

The human memory especially likes the good times and deals with the rest. You have set your kids up to have many positive memories. Parents can do little else that lasts as long.:)

8. Jacob O'Hara

Jacob O'Hara
    from Dorset, UK

waking up a old thread but man this is cool! I just read through from start to finish. Driving the route 66 is a dream of mine but I'm in the Uk so not happening for a while! The old rambler just trooped on too. I sold my 63 (profile pic) last year and regretted it greatly, somehow have found a 64 196 manual wagon (rare over here!) in need of resto but after that...roadtrip time!
    Thank you for documenting all of your adventures!

Thor1, OahuEli, Six Ball and 4 others like this.
  9. Thanks for giving this a bump. Threads like this need to reappear on the front page maybe a couple times a year or so.
    :cool:

10. Davesblue50

Davesblue50

One of my favorite threads also.

ClayMart, Six Ball and guthriesmith like this.
  11. Yep, we need more threads like this to keep us all motivated to drive this old junk. :cool: