Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration This was about as cool as one could get when I was a teenager

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gahrajmahal, Jul 20, 2022.

1. gconnsr

gconnsr
    from AZ

A Pioneer SuperTuner that could literally suck you into the speakers and send you on a journey thru it's inner dimensions.

2. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Moriarity likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had never paid much attention to the 4 and then 8 track tape players in the 60's and got drafted in July of 67. Move to January 69 and I am on the way to Fort Hood Texas and because the short route was having serious snow storms I took the long way through California, Vegas Phoenix, Tucson and El Paso to get to Central Texas probably adding 1000 miles.
    When I was at a gas station in Tucson I picked up a kid hitch hiking back to Fort Bliss on Sunday afternoon and we headed out. about way dark thirty I pulled into a gas station somewhere in the middle of nowhere and got gas and went inside to pay and that station had the back wall behind the counter filled solid with tapes for tape players. We had been trying to find a station on the radio for almost an hour and there was no radio reception in that area at all any time. I didn't get a tape player until after I got married and it was just a small under dash unit that I think I still have out in the shed. Real 1969/70 stuff .

4. While still in high school I worked at Muntz Stereo City in Salem Oregon installing first 4 track then Combination 4 & 8 track and straight 8 track units. Muntz would send out one of a new model when they were getting ready to launch a new one to try out to try to increase orders. My two bosses had stereos in their cars they didn't want to change out so they gave me a new model to try out in my car. It had a special "theft proof" mounting bracket with special fasteners so I mounted it under the dash of my 64 Comet Cyclone, sounded great! That night while on a date at the local bowling alley went out to the car and the stereo was gone, but the bracket was still there. Next day told my boss what happened and that they also took all my tapes and some other stuff. Went out to the shop and went to work, couple hours later over the intercom I heard "GET YOUR ASS UP HERE NOW! I run up front to see my boss has some kid by the coat collar and my stereo laying on the counter. He brought it in to try to buy a mounting bracket. Because it was the special pre order unit there wasn't another one like it in town. My boss took his wallet with his drivers license in it and told him he had 30 minutes to bring back everything else that was stolen from my car or else! He came back in twenty minutes with two huge boxes of tapes and stereos they had stolen because he didn't know exactly what had came from my car. The officer that was waiting with me out in the shop was very interested in everything in those two boxes, I hope he wasn't given a slap on the wrist AND learned something! Sorry for the long story. Mark

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say at the least, that hopefully ended the kid's theft career.

6. Budget36

Budget36

Wow, a memory for sure, I bought a 8 truck super tuner and had it for about a year, then started getting cassettes, bought a cassette super tuner2. After 40 years I don’t know what happened to either of them.

Edit: Still have my gas pedal “foot” and somewhere I have my high beam switch foot.

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

It is cool though…

chryslerfan55 and Moriarity like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

had I known he was going to snap a picture, I would have straitened out the floor mats

dana barlow, egads, jim snow and 4 others like this.
  9. Around these parts it goes " I may have to grow old, but I refuse to grow up"

10. 997B7CED-9E4D-44B5-AAA6-1CD159318D68.jpeg

Switch the 8 track for an alpine 2 knob tape deck and that was me in high school .

had Boston on cassette !!

sad thing is manual transmissions are going the way of the doo doo bird .

buddy just bought an o/t euro car with a manual and was told this is the last year it will be offered across all the lines they sell .

said it before and I’ll say it again I’m so dang glad o grew up before computers

manual widows
    Manual steering
    And
    Manual trans !!

vroom f$&@ing vroom man :cool:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2022
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Man would of had that Robin Trower tape in.

slowmotion, Cosmo49, rod1 and 5 others like this.
  13. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wondering just how many dashes got cut up/butchered for the install of a tape deck back in the day? Or door panels or kick panels for stereo speakers?

Driver50x and '28phonebooth like this.
  14. I'd like to add to this thread but I have no pics of a 4 track unit in a 62 Ford 500xl with a 390 and 4 speed, a 64 Fairlane with a hipo 298 and 4 speed and a Pioneer 4 / 8 track player and a 65 Mustang fastback with a Craig 8 track that was removable with a 289 and 4 speed. :) None of those cars had an am/fm radio even though they were available in a 1961 Ford.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

16A63C36-CB6F-4430-A4BF-8BAACC761B43.jpeg BAB81521-ADAF-47C3-90E7-9A58850D2253.jpeg A9AE7F5C-139F-473A-A175-178050F6E0B7.jpeg 8CA60DCA-9869-4634-955D-5731664A441E.jpeg BBAD93A2-FB4D-49A0-A41B-7F4E92ECE4D4.jpeg 15BC83CF-4597-4EEC-8BBB-65A4D4024ABB.jpeg More vintage stereo stuff

16. jim snow

jim snow

ffr1222k, VANDENPLAS and Moriarity like this.
  17. cfmvw

cfmvw

The 8-track was a thing of the past by the time I was in highschool ('80-'84), but I did have a Pioneer Supertuner with cassette. Friend of mine had what was at the time a top-of-the-line Blaupunkt (not sure if I spelled that correctly) system in his car; didn't have it long as someone managed to steal the entire setup late one night.

41 GMC K-18, VANDENPLAS and Moriarity like this.
  18. raaf

raaf

I like that you could always have one rewound and ready to go too.

Moriarity and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  19. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would never fall for that cassette crap, those guy's always sat around with a pencell winding them back up.

Driver50x, Rickybop and '28phonebooth like this.
  20. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Ditch the Boston...keep the Trower.;)

Special Ed and saltflats like this.
  22. That's one of the reasons that aftermarket stereos never appealed to me... I hate cutting shit up! I also don't like the 'added on' 'didn't know where to hang it' afterthought-look. And the sound quality in a running, moving car (unless it's a Rolls Royce) isn't that great. Most guys installed them just to impress other people.

23. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

I’ve got a muntz blue light 4 track player somewhere in my stuff…

24. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Back in the 60's the best I had was an AM radio, bringing in KOMA Oklahoma City, & KAAY Little Rock Ark. Had to park on the hill to get a good signal.

302GMC, chryslerfan55, rod1 and 2 others like this.
  25. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

The quickchange, injectors and no roof made it hard to listen to music. Actually, I kinda thought the Cyclone was music of sorts.

jimmy six likes this.
  26. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Do people still steal car radios? It was a common occurrence, at least Down Under, right through the 80's and 90's. Spent a lot of time making brackets to hold stereos back onto the firewall to make it harder to remove in a hurry.

I figure that car audio prices have dropped so much that no-one steals them anymore, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Cheers,
    Harv

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's true and it's understandable.
    A lot of badass cars couldn't shouldn't wouldn't didn't don't and won't benefit from a stereo system. Cuz they make their own bad ass rock and roll.
    Literally. Bam! LOL
    The rest of us... we can and do and gotta have some tunes.

28. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

ha ha ha ..... 30 Boston tapes and No Abba,.... weirdo.

30. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I don't think stealing car stereos is a thing anymore, no. I got a jvc with all the bells and whistles for my dd pickup for like a hundred bucks, so probably not much money in it now.

I do have a stereo in my shoebox, but certain cars I agree shouldn't have one. There's nothing in my Chris Craft either, and that also makes its own 'music'. If I want tunes, I sing....

chryslerfan55 and Tow Truck Tom like this.