Register now to get rid of these ads!

Spatter trunk paint for your interior?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Sparkle, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Reviving a 14-year-old thread. Anyone else have a Zolatone or spatter paint interior??

These first 2 are @3wLarry 's '32. The third is Ed Pink's '36 5-window.
    3wl 02.jpg
    3wl int 01.jpg
    ed pink 36 coupe 01.jpg
    zolotone interior pure vision poteet.jpg

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

A friend of mine uses Zolatone to duplicate the interior finishes of the vintage TranAM cars he maintains and restores. It was once very popular in race cars.... I haven't the need to use it yet, but plan to use one of their finishes on my A build. They get their Zolatone from Aircraft Spruce, and paint it using what he calls a pressure pot. Not being a painter, I've no clue what that term means - a regular spray gun or what.
    https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/zolatonepaint.php
    https://www.zolatone.com

Just Gary likes this.
  3. 34Phil

34Phil

Does hammertone stick/wear better?

4. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

In the 50s I went to a 4th of July parade that had several cars that belonged to guys from the Choppers car club in Cleveland. If my memory is right they were all hammered coupes, maybe channeled and all of them had bare bones splatter painted interiors. This club (still around) was pretty racing oriented.

Just Gary likes this.
  5. spanners

spanners

The stuff we used to use in the trays of utes and panelvans was called Colourflek, water based. We sprayed it using a Shultz or body deadener gun. You shook the can, never stirred it. The last ute tray I did I used chipguard done the same way and then sprayed colour over it. Lasted the 18 years I owned the ute and that tray got used and abused.

gnichols likes this.
  6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I remember a bunch of cars from the mid '60s to the mid '80s either having "Zolotone" paint under the carpets, especially in the trunk. Especially from "used car purveyors" who wanted to make it look like their vehicles didn't leak when it rained, or to cover up repair work. It was also cheaper than putting in new trunk mats. Got to admit it made the trunk look more finished...

gnichols and Just Gary like this.
  7. Even the famous Orange Crate Deuce sedan::cool:
    CC62CAC5-A25A-46F2-8C54-DC4CC4BB255B-scaled.jpeg 20220721_180609~2.jpg

8. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Think into the future, is there any issue with removing it if you decide to step it up and go with a high quality interior in a few years?

Just Gary likes this.
  9. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Grinning to myself here!
    The mention of ZOLATONE paint, brings back memories of when my dad painted the kitchen cabinet's blue and white ZOLATONE, back in the late 50's.
    He did it because it was cheap, he never thought it would be perceived as being trendy or cool !

427 sleeper and Just Gary like this.
  10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used kind-of-a light green Zolatone in spray cans for my 62 Chevy II trunk. Looked stock.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
  11. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I looked ALL except one were water-based. Just one solvent based and of course I can't remember which brand.

Just Gary likes this.
  12. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think I have a couple spray cans floating around somewhere. "Trunk Paint" - Oddly enough, it wasn't used in the trunk...!

IMG_5261.jpg IMG_5263.jpg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I always thought this looked good....

zolatoned.JPG

14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

That spray on stuff is NOT Zolatone! And it does not hold up if the area gets wet. Zolatone does.

gnichols and Just Gary like this.
  15. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Did something similar in my Corvette drag car. Sprayed the fiberglass floor and rear bulkhead grey and then cobwebbed with unthinned white lacquer. I didn't clear coat it but if I did it today I would. Probably matte clear.

Just Gary likes this.