Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Engine, Early Olds Rocket tech summary.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bluthndr, Mar 7, 2005.

1. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

I hear a lot of pessary yhat the sbc is superior to the olds in every way. Is that true? I know they say it's better than the Ford y-block in every way. But the fact is the y-block has built in features conducive to performance that the sbc doesn't have. I'm guessing olds are the same. I just don't know what they are.
    What are some of the features of the olds that make it better than the sbc?

2. cabong

cabong

When looking for a mill for the "El Caballo" back in 1989, I had the option of using a highly modified 303, as Ak Miller did, or using a '58 371 to end up with the same displacement. I opted for the latter. Larry Spengler of Benicia, Ca found the complete '58 olds which donated the engine, and then went on to build it. Basically, it was stock. The original cam was sent to Ak, and he, along with Ed Iskenderian, used the Isky shop, late at night, to put a regrind on that puppy that worked extremely well. It would wind into the next county!! I would assume that the engine balance was responsible for alot of how it ran. I did not know at that time who Al Blazic was, but I sure do now. I believe that my engine may have been the last Olds that he did. Whatever magic he used, worked !! I used a couple different carb setups, including Strombergs, and big Holley 2-bbls.
    That engine was very strong, and for street and some racing venues, it was perfect. Plenty strong, smooth, and yet wicked sounding.
    Moral of the story, I really don't think you need to get carried away with exotic parts to make a really bitch'n Olds mill....... 371olds (2).jpg

rod1, jebbesen and Paul like this.
  3. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

@cabong Do you have any other pictures of that carb setup? Are the throttle blades reversed in two of the carbs or did the linkage just pull them opposite directions? Also, do you have any idea the specs on the cam you say Isky ground? Was it a solid lifter one or did they stay hydraulic?

4. cabong

cabong

Hi Jeb !! The carb linkage pulled in opposite directions, and actually worked quite well 'till the person responsible for taking the critter across the border during the Carrera in 1991 drove around town and never turned on the electric fan. fuel vapors from the rear most carb caught fire and ruined the carb. We jury rigged the setup to work, but it was a mess. It also burnt the distributor. Ak Miller made a Chevy unit work. The carbs were 48's, as they are a tad larger than the 97's... The lifters were hydraulic, and Ak and Ed never revealed what they did to that cam, but man did it work well....

5. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

It looks like you had to mill a flat on the side of the carburetors that face each other?

6. cabong

cabong

That's correct, it was a very tight fit. This setup was exactly like the original, cept'n for the 97/48 switch. Then, after running the Carrera Panamericana with Ak Miller and Ray Brock, I made adaptors and ran 2 Holley 500's. They worked great.... That's what I used for the next 10 years that I was vintage road racing the bugger. When we moved to Idaho, I donated it to the NHRA Museum in Pomona. Now when I go to the LARS and the GRNS, I can go visit....
    Needless to say, I love "Specials"..... One day back in the 90's, a friend in Livermore, CA called to see if I wanted to forego the Monterey Historics to go to Sears Point for some drag races, then hang and BS with the boys. I thought about it and simply said, thin about this.... I drift through turn 11 at Laguna Seca, slamming 2nd gear as soon as I'm kinda straight. I run up to 6 grand and nail 3rd. Hard on the loud pedal for about 3 seconds or panic, whichever comes first, then ram it back up into 2nd and pop the clutch, approaching turn 2. Turn 1 is flat out. The rear tires complain loudly as the smoke whisps off from nearly locking up. Other racers move away. Tweak the wheel to get into a drift just before the apex, then try to get straight again. Hit it hard to get as much speed before turn 3 creates panic all over again. I get to do this adrenalin rush 11 times every lap, in traffic. Now why in the hell would I want to go drag racing?? I miss him as a friend !!

jebbesen, Paul and Oldtmtech like this.
  7. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn haven’t pulled this up in awhile. Still collecting olds parts though.

Paul likes this.
  8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

engine138, sdluck and 40FORDPU like this.
  9. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

I Love this thread, What is the reason for shimming and by what means?
    Oil filter adapter:
    http://webpages.charter.net/dhomstad/
    Or grab one off a 394 – bolts right on (a 303 at least) – possibly all?
    Get three bolt version, shim gasket, clean, paint alum paint both sides, bolt before dry.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023