Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hydraulic clutch for a hot rod

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by johnny jackson, Jul 14, 2022.

1. JOHN H EDGE

JOHN H EDGE

Go with the cable. Used one for years. No leaks no bleeding
    The K.I.S.S. System

neilswheels and D-Russ like this.
  2. CyaNide

CyaNide
    from Texas

Only 2 drawbacks from the cable. You must really reinforce the firewall or it will flex because the cable has a huge force pulling on it, especially if it has a stout clutch. Other is it can wear you out if in traffic. I have had several fox bodies over the years.

CN

3. johnny jackson

johnny jackson

D-Russ,
    So the mustang the mustang cable has to have a peddle with spring to pull the clutch back from the compressed position?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  4. Yes, the spring on the one in the photo I posted is hidden under the brake/clutch bracket that's welded to the frame. The fingers on the pressure plate will disengage the throwout bearing and release the clutch from the flywheel, but the pedal return spring pulls the fork/throwout bearing off the pressure plate fingers.

5. I think reinforcing the firewall is probably a good idea if your pedals are going to be mounted directly to the firewall, but I'd do that for mechanical or hydraulic too. I've seen many hanging pedal set-ups built off a tube under the cowl for rigidity. In the race truck application with hanging pedals I mentioned, the cable's body side anchor as well as the pedals are built off of the roll cage.

I think your second point about the stiffness has more to do with appropriate pedal leverage and ratio. The car with the blue frame I posted has the absolute easiest/lightest clutch I've ever driven.

6. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, how far off was your install from the two-hour YouTubers?

Algoma56 likes this.