Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage "War Surplus On Wheels" Exhibit at the Lyon Air Museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Jul 3, 2022.

1. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

2. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I see those pictures of the airplanes and cars and bikes and i get a big lump in my throat. Thankyou.

4. @woodiemike - Thanks for sharing all these pics! … much appreciated!

woodiemike, 41 GMC K-18 and Nobey like this.
  5. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

This whole thread looks like a HAMB convention! Great stuff!

6. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

It was a very cool event and everybody in the cars were great to talk to. On the way home a friend got a flat on his Roadster but luckily I carry a spare with me in mine so we swapped that out, then his motor mount broke and the distributor hit the firewall and a couple plug wires came off making the car miss really bad but we got that handled. Then closer to home my transmission crossmember broke an ear off the mounting poin 20220716_084225.jpg 20220717_113208.jpg t so the trans was hanging buy one side and every time I hit a bump the front U-joint hit the ladder bars. Got a tie strap around the frame and hoisted it up and made it home. Good Times

Okie Pete, Cgrgrspt10, HEMI32 and 4 others like this.
  7. Saw a few shots of my Coupe!!!! What a great show. One of the best events i've ever been to. HUGE props to Bobby Green and Ray Dunham for putting this on. So many cool Hotrods....

8. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Man what a cool f'n venue for a show. Absolutely wild.
    That A-26 is so rad.

Special Ed and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  9. Super great show, good to see those cars, planes, bikes all in one place.

I did leave the house here's proof...also @Bad Bob made it in the shot too (look for the arrow).
    lyons-1a.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  10. Special Ed likes this.
  11. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-8-28_3-39-26.png old Friday Art
    Hello,

Great photos of the early variety of Lakesters. It takes all kinds to race any car at full speed, let alone having just your head showing and/or laying down facing forward in those early Lakesters. Kudos to the guys/girls that built their versions of the rolling tubes.

Near our old Westside of Long Beach house, there was some construction going on and there were some large pipes laying around on the blocked streets. It was inviting us to crawl through them. Which we did, but felt the walls closing in on us as we continued down the long pipe. Despite the fact that no movement was evident, we still felt the walls moving in on us as we finally finished the long pipe, crawling along as fast as we could.

Many years later, we knew of the belly tank Lakesters at the dry lakes and Bonneville. We always appreciated hot rod guys trying to go fast, but being enclosed is not the most appealing thing while going fast and much faster.
    upload_2022-8-28_3-42-58.png
    Ernie Pereira, 200 MPH Club Member, Belly Tank Racer

When my wife and I bought a small racing sailboat, we wanted to get involved in the local So Cal sailboat racing scene. There are groups that go out and race every Wednesdays in San Diego and every Thursdays in Dana Point. Up in Los Angeles, it is also Wednesday and Thursdays. Then once a month, a big race is held in various locations all along the coast.
    upload_2022-8-28_3-44-12.png
    One day in the dock, I had to climb into the rear compartment to fix a couple of loose outer rail stanchions. The tightening bolts were just under the coaming surface of the narrow inside compartment. As I had to turn to get the rachet onto the nut, I had to squeeze into the upper regions inside of the coaming. Once there, I could get a good attack angle on the nut and start tightening it.

When I finished, I thought it was easy to get in place, so the reversal would be the same. I tried to crawl back out and was stuck at my shoulders. I could not turn to get loose and when I did, the twisting motion sent a sharp pain up my back. So, I was stuck under the small coaming area and could not get back out.

So, I lay there for several minutes thinking of those racers that had to sit inside of the Lakesters upright and those really crazy guys laying down inside of those rolling tubes. A little panic and a ton of frustration, for sure.

Jnaki

Now, I can feel justified in never wanting to race inside of a Lakester. That tight space inside of the small racing sailboat was a shock and proved my point on a racing Lakester at the dry lakes or Bonneville.

So, how did I get out? I stayed in that locked in position for about 5 minutes and when I decided to deflate my breathing method, it must have been enough to get me stuck. I guess that by breathing hard and getting anxious about being stuck, it expanded my shoulders and chest to the point of staying stuck. Shortness of breath, small spaces, lack of flowing air... I certainly got the picture.

I tried everything to get unstuck. But, when I let out all of my breath and mentally decreased the size of my body, I fell down on to the deck below and was now free. I instantly took a nice long nap before I moved in any direction.
    upload_2022-8-28_3-49-4.png
    A few weeks later, my wife crawled into the forward section to clean out the area. Some moisture had gotten inside from the sliding sprit opening. She was cleaning the area and wiping the moisture dry. As you can see, a smaller woman’s body could fit easily into the opening. But, reaching far forward to the far reaches of the compartment, she had to crawl half way inward. Now, she was finishing and had no purchase to crawl backwards out of the opening. She could not flip over or turn around, and was stuck.

If the opening were reversed, with the wider space at the bottom, she would have been able to back up with a funny, butt first, reverse crawl… As is, she just had to wait until I was able to crawl into the cabin to drag her, feet out and the rest came out “crabbing” at the whole world. And the dinky sailboat.

When I told her of being trapped in the same small sailboat, myself and related it to the guys that drive the Lakesters, she said we are never going to build or own a Lakester for any reason, good or bad. Ha ha!! So, we sold the little racing sailboat and got a faster, larger, technology advanced boat for our last go round on the water. It made a whole world of difference. No more “Lakester” tiny compartments to get stuck, or worry about the walls closing inward. YRMV

Last edited: Aug 28, 2022
  12. Gifted photographer, Royce Rumsey recently shared these 3 amazing images in his MIDNIGHT AT THE MUSEUM
    “Ventre Pétroliers Film Noire” post on the Exposure logo.JPG website:

Old Crow Speed Shop Belly Tank - by Royce Rumsey.jpg
    @Bobby Green's "Old Crow" Belly Tank with the nose of the "Hunny Bunny" P-38 Lightning

King & Hansen Belly Tank - by Royce Rumsey.jpg
    King & Hansen's '47 Belly Tank with a P-38 Lightning

Bill Burke's 'Burple' Belly Tank - by Royce Rumsey.jpg
    Bill Burke's legendary "Burple" Belly Tank with a P-38 Lightning

13. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

@Marty Strode I clicked on the YouTube video you posted and did a little YouTube surfing and found this.

14. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great pix!!!!---------Great display too!!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thanks for posting that, Ed is a good guy. He couldn't have been better to work with, and I made a good friend in the process.