Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects NOT THE TYPICAL '30 ROADSTER BUILD

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

2. Agree. I think this one is going to be a keeper for years to come.
    As my parents are now getting older ,and depending more and more of me, I find myself enjoying every minute I can with them.

oliver westlund, brEad, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  3. The plan was to install the engine and trans this weekend but got delayed since the trans adaptor is at the machine shop getting a hair cut.
    More of that here... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...-installation-question.1269068/#post-14545604

I am glad I caught it before installing everything....

In the meantime, I started final prepping the T5.

I bought the Clutch slave cylinder from Krylon32. Man, it fits like...nice and easy
    thumbnail_IMG_8978.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8977.jpg thumbnail_IMG_8980.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_8979.jpg
    No plans for reverse light, so out with the old and in with the new
    thumbnail_IMG_8976.jpg

Speedo cable showed up. Ready when needed
    69" long
    thumbnail_IMG_8975.jpg

oliver westlund, brEad, Thor1 and 2 others like this.
  4. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Your cost analysis/breakdown is something that every professional shop would love to have to be able to show potential customers up front just what it takes to build one of these cars. You have done an outstanding job and should be extremely proud of what you have accomplished.

brEad, Thor1, warbird1 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Thank you! It is eye opening for sure.
    Every step I take forward gets me a lot farther than what I ever imagine ever getting to.

Thor1 and GordonC like this.
  6. Next biggest expense is going to be the interior. I am not ready to start buying materials yet but definitely brainstorming colors.
    I think my mind is made...at least, for now :)

thumbnail_IMG_8996.jpg
    Love that saddle bag color against the blue!

thumbnail_IMG_8997.jpg
    Interior panels, trunk, and seat are going to be done using the Saddle bag leather
    Carpet will be square weave Tan with leather trimming.
    Top material will be Stayfast Tan Canvas

I am guesstimating $3k-$4k in materials, yikes!!!

oliver westlund, brEad, Thor1 and 5 others like this.
  7. One step closer to getting the engine in...Yay!
    I got the T5 adapter back from Vellios and they did a great a job shaving the inside rim to avoid interference with the pressure plate's counterweights.
    I am a fan of good customer service and those guys a great!

thumbnail_IMG_9008.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9009.jpg

I got plenty of clearance now. It shouldn't hit.
    Very glad I caught this while researching how to install the engine/adapter/trans.
    I can only imagine the mess of taking everything apart to fix it once installed.
    Happy I didn't cut the counterweights as suggested by the article I read.

thumbnail_IMG_9006.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_9010.jpg

Transmission is ready and bolted to the engine. Everything fits....However, my torque wrench broke and it only spins :) Crap!
    I will be picking a new torque wrench tomorrow and finally mating the trans and engine, hopefully, for the last time
    I am still on target to installing it in the roadster this Saturday...fingers crossed!

8. Today, was a really good day for me in the garage. On cloud nine moment!
    My dad came over around 10am and we just started working and talking about the kids, COVID, new downtown bridge, work...I was mostly listening, he was doing the talking....and out came the old stories, the ones I've heard many times before...When I was your age...back in the days...these days...
    I slowed down and I heard him talk, I even asked questions that I already knew the answer to just to keep him talking and engeaged.
    Impressive to see how his long time memory is so sharp and vivid but his short time memory, little by little, keeps getting worst :-(
    Both my daughters came out to the garage and just sat on the floor and were simply paying attention...I was just happy to see them away from their iPads for more than 10 minutes. I hope memories like these get imprinted on their minds.

Felt like time moved so fast and before we knew it, the engine and transmission were in, right before lunch time.
    Nice cold beers in celebration!

thumbnail_IMG_9019.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9020.jpg
    I said it before and I will say it again, this thing looks massive!!!

thumbnail_IMG_9024.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9025.jpg
    There she is. Perhaps, my most expensive investment in this project.
    Built by H&H flatheads. It was meant for my '36 truck but sold the truck before installing it.
    It finally found it's new home and we put no scratches on the paint....A little dusty from storage but ready to go vroom, vroom!!

9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

The best part of the story is how much you and your dad enjoyed the day working together and your girls joined in, memories that will stay with you and your daughters forever!

10. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Did you make sure your clutch disc didn’t scrape anything? Regular s10 clutch (for me) interfered with the flywheel bolts I remember; so I had to get the special one from speedway. Its different because it has the center riveted on the trans side of the disc instead of the engine side moving it just far enough away to clear.

Thor1 and Outback like this.
  11. That's for sure! Capturing every memory along the way.

GordonC likes this.
  12. I didn't check the disc :-(
    Disc and pressure plate came already installed from H&H so I didn't bothered to check....Hopefully it doesn't come back and bite me...

oliver westlund, Thor1 and GordonC like this.
  13. Sometimes the most obvious things are not so obvious...Finally got my fuel stand, baffle and push up rod sorted out and ready to install.
    As I installed the fuel pump, I realized the "In" outlet was right up against the firewall. I looked at it for a while and couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.
    When I mocked everything up, there were no issues. I clearly remember having plenty of room.
    The fuel pump I used for mock up was a glass bowl stock unit, the one I am using now is an Offenhauser for multiple carbs. Pretty much the same thing...it shouldn't be this off.
    I scratched my head for a while...the one I used for mock up is long gone in the trash. now

Went back to the crappy fuel pump instructions, nothing.
    Went on-line and did a search, nothing.
    Took a break and started pulling out the parts for the fuel line and there it was. The top part the fuel can be rotated. Dumb, dumb!
    I felt like the total rookie that I am :) Gave me a good laugh.

thumbnail_IMG_9042.jpg
    Out of the box

thumbnail_IMG_9046.jpg
    Rotated to the next screw

thumbnail_IMG_9048.jpg
    Let there be clearance.

thumbnail_IMG_9049.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9050.jpg
    At least the GO pedal went in without further drama

thumbnail_IMG_9047.jpg

Added a little extra color to the fan; maybe now I can see it spinning and don't loose a finger.

14. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like what your doing so far! Good choices on the carpet and seat colors. If you ever meet my wife DO NOT show her your spread sheet! She claims I have spent $50k on my 31 roadster and I claim I am not into it for more than $30k! The discussion ends when I say" I do it because I love working on old cars, I don't do it to make money!" Her reply is "Damn good thing because you aren't!"

oliver westlund and Thor1 like this.
  15. Mo rust

Mo rust

So how did you know your roadster was a 1930 and not a 1931?

16. LOL! You got it! I won't tell her how much money I spent :)

GordonC likes this.
  17. The instrument panel was a '30 based shape of it, the radiator shell had a smooth top and no painted details, the body number hinted to '30, no indented firewall, body number by the bench seat ...but most important than all, the title I had :)

18. Looking great!! That firewall looks like a mirror. Did I miss some details on the gas pedal cover? Looks like you molded one that sweeps down the firewall. Looks really nice!!

19. I used a '36 pedal, modified to fit the firewall, and made a cover for it.

thumbnail_IMG_5534.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5536.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5539.jpg thumbnail_IMG_5554.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9056.jpg

20. Nicely done!!!

I love your attention to detail!!

roll of the dices and Thor1 like this.
  21. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

That's what it takes to really make a period correct car. Really great work

roll of the dices and Thor1 like this.
  22. Thank you Brian!

23. Thank you!

24. I was planning on an easy evening and getting a couple things done...din't quite worked that way but got them done

First thing was mounting the firewall insulator...literally, must have put it on and off 15 times to measure it, re-measure it, cut, adjust and repeat. I am happy with the outcome. This thing looks nice, good quality product.

thumbnail_IMG_9066.jpg

Then it was the coil.
    Here I am thinking a 2 minute job. 2 screws and then I can finish the wiring.
    Well, I never mocked up the coil's position, combined with the breather cap and fuel pump stand. Come to find out they don't like to play together. If I position the coil vertically, in the stock position, there was no way to remove the breather cap/oil filler.

The solution was to mount it horizontally but not before making a bracket to use the stock bolt location.
    Using an epoxy filled coil just to make sure I have no issues with a horizontal mount.
    I can now remove the oil filler cap with no issues.

thumbnail_IMG_9063.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9064.jpg thumbnail_IMG_9065.jpg

25. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coming along nicely , you do nice work. Here is my '30 roadster, looks black but is Washington Blue. 264004618_3137331443167372_1657811651365746038_n.jpg

oliver westlund, Stogy, hfh and 4 others like this.
  26. Kodak Jack

Kodak Jack

Thank you for taking the time to post often an in such detail. Its been a pleasure to read thus-far and to watch your skills improve as you go and watch the mistakes/learnings you are going through. Wish I would be in the garage with you and helping. Looking forward to future posts on this thread for sure.

brEad and Thor1 like this.
  27. Thanks for continuing to post the costs in time and money for your project. I have yet to build a period inspired hotrod. You have a great perspective on the time with your folks, too. You never know how much time you have left with them. Lost my mom a year ago this month. Miss her everyday. Had the blessing of taking care of her the last few years and cherish every minute of it. I really liked how your kids were also engage. Precious!

Thor1 and 1-SHOT like this.
  28. That roadster looks nice! Really dig those fenders and that Top.
    Thanks for sharing

Dago 88 likes this.
  29. Thank you. It has been a great journey. Would do it all over again for sure.

30. Sorry to hear of your loss
    That is exactly my fear. Both, mom and dad, are getting older, health is deteriorating, and I find time moving so fast on us.
    We are spending a lot of time together, traveling, making it a point to go see them at least every other day, or so.
    I am getting my girls to spend as much time as possible with them too. I do want my girls to have good memories of them. At 5 and 12 years old, they are creating their one memories....They are so memorize with all the stories they hear from them. They still can't believe they used and hand crack candlestick phone and worts part they couldn't text or play games with it :)
    Good thing is mom and dad also enjoy so much spending time with the girls. It keeps young, they say.

oliver westlund, brEad and Thor1 like this.