Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lipstick on a pig

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chessterd5, Mar 30, 2021.

1. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

2. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

3. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

4. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

5. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Okie Pete, chryslerfan55 and AndersF like this.
  6. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Maybe I'm a perfectionist, but my motto is, "Do it right, or don't do it at all."

chessterd5 likes this.
  7. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Thank you for your observations sir.
    When I bought this car it was in six pieces. The guy who showed up before me walked away from it and said it was not worth fixing. I did not hold his opinion. I have put many hours of blood, sweat, and tears into this hot rod. I do not have to bow my head to anyone.

8. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

I found a panel of plexiglass to make a top out of for the body. if I cut it right and paint it black, then it may look more like the stock style roof. I was also wondering if there was a spray on coating that would make it look more like the rubber tops that they had?
    I can't afford the roof kits that they sell so I'm going to make my own. I'm honestly attempting to make this hot rod in a traditional style even if all the parts are not.
    It has a fully boxed frame ( I made the boxing plates).
    A triangulated rear ladder bar suspension.
    A straight tube axle with radius arms up front.
    A altered wheel base ( the body is pushed back 6 inches on the frame).
    The wheel base is 109 inches.
    A dash from a 1947 GMC pickup.
    Homemade doors and subframe ( I would love to have all the original stuff but I can't afford it and I am not willing to just give up. )
    The top is unchopped (I like tall Ts.)
    It measures 54 inches tall to the sun visor from the ground.
    The drive line is a 300 straight six Ford, a C4 truck automatic and a 8 inch Ford rear end with 2.79 gears.
    It will have manual steering and brakes.
    It has a 4 inch channel with a 5 in rake.
    The rear fenders are bobbed and it will have cycle fenders up front in a east coast style.
    It has a manually operated flip top body and a two piece firewall to access the set back motor under the cowl.
    The gas tank is in the trunk.
    Thanks for watching!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  9. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

10. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Okie Pete and AndersF like this.
  11. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

12. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

In the previous picture, there is a access hole in the top of the cowl for the factory gas tank. What is that cover technically called? I have been searching Macs model T parts and I can't find it. I would like to get that original cover. I think it would look good on the body. Thanks.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

14. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, that's in true spirit of the HAMB...some old fuck with a "shiny T-Bird attitude", bashing a young guy who's actually building a hot rod from scratch.

15. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Okie Pete and AndersF like this.
  16. spudshaft

spudshaft

You can probably find the cowl vent or whatever it’s called pretty cheaply on the auction site. Do you think you could paint the roof with some sort of rubberized undercoating to get the look you want? Car looks good.

chessterd5 likes this.
  17. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Thanks. It's been a lot of work on a almost nonexistent budget.
    The rubberized undercoating may work but it needs to dry hard and not gooy but still be flexible not to crack. I have thought about truck spray on bed liner. Or maybe later I will just break down and buy the rubber material they use for restorations.

Okie Pete likes this.
  18. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

19. NoelC

NoelC

Is perfectionism a mental illness?

[​IMG]
    While not a psychological disorder in itself, perfectionism is linked to anxiety and other mental health issues, such as obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).

I think he's build it the traditional way, with what he's got, capable of doing, and can afford. Key word is that he's doing.
    [​IMG]

20. SS327

SS327

Next thing you know he’ll be putting panties on that pig. Nice job by the way.

hotrodjack33 and chessterd5 like this.
  21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

What I always remembered about working in my driveway was that it often took me longer to get the car jacked up and carry all the needed tools (always needed something else) to the driveway..........than I spent actually working on the vehicle. Then I couldn't leave everything just sitting there so I could return and pickup where I left off....nope, I had to put it all away. And I never ever liked working on a dirt floor or just "in the dirt". Thank God for "concrete"........:p:p:p:p:p

ffr1222k and chessterd5 like this.
  22. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

You have to realize that the people who make up these definitions have most likely never ever built anything with their hands and don't understand what having a sense of accomplishment means.

SS327 likes this.
  23. SS327

SS327

There is a product you can buy called Cool Seal. You can get it at Menards or Homeless Depot. It dries to a white rubber texture. It is made for sealing metal roofs. Your car would look good with a white top! Just put it on with a roller for texture.

chessterd5 likes this.
  24. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Thanks for the suggestion!

SS327 likes this.
  25. goldmountain

goldmountain

What is that front axle from? I could use something like that.

chessterd5 likes this.
  26. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Hello goldmountain,
    Aren't you building a 1927 Ford coupe as well? I think I have seen your thread but I forgot the name of it. It's pretty cool! Way nicer than mine!

The front axle is from a 1992 Jeep cherokee. It is a 2wd axle. I had to cut off the coil spring buckets and all the brackets for the trailing arms ( it's a four link). I made my own batwings to mount the original model T spring and 1965 factory Ford truck 2wd radius rods.
    I would love to have a much more conventional front end but it was way out of my price range. When I looked at the price for a axle kit and hairpins and brakes I knew I had to do something different. I got everything out of the junkyard. The radius arms and mounts were 5 dollars a side. And the front axle was 250 dollars complete, tire to tire.

There's a couple of things that I like about this axle.
    1. It is 48 inches wide across the upper ball joints. Which means it has the right track width for the car. I hate the oversized axles people were using in rat rods. It looks bad and it affects handling and steering more than people realize.
    2. Jeep used this axle from the 60s into the mid 90s so stock suspension and brake parts are still available on the shelf at the auto store.
    3. It has the same wheel bolt pattern as Ford wheels so there are plenty to choose from.
    4. The Ackerman angle built in to the axle is within 8 inches of my 109 in. Wheelbase. Which means it will not scrub tires as badly.
    I have daydreams about chromeing it someday.

27. goldmountain

goldmountain

Thanks for the compliment. I thought it was Jeep but 2wd ones are about non-existent around these parts. Regarding the missing fuel filler/ cowl vent door, mine measures 9 7/8" x 5 1/4" with a 1 1/2" radius at the corners. It should be an easy thing to make with a wood hammer form.

chessterd5 likes this.
  28. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

You're welcome.
    Thanks for the measurements. I will see what I can do. My fabrication skills are not all that great.
    If you can post a link to your build thread, I would like to put it on my watch list?

29. goldmountain

goldmountain

Don't know how to post a link but it is titled as "getting the bugs out ".

chessterd5 likes this.
  30. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.