Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***July 2022 - May You Be Lucky***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Jul 1, 2022.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a load off, thanks! Its silly of me as never noticed it before even though have spent quite a bit of time under the car. Cheers!

Outback and 282doorUK like this.
  2. joemac05

joemac05

3. So
    This is a solution,
    C7F485F1-8E15-4C0A-8BAD-99D81CBBE091.jpeg
    that has so far prevented this, which happens to be a Scat crank
    EF855D2C-7C61-4267-B06B-14B02FBA864A.jpeg

4. 5280A2

5280A2

Yes, the combination running with those two crankshafts included lightened and balanced flywheel and clutch assemblies. I believe the cause of the breakage was excessive spark advance, the set-up running at that time had about 30 degrees of total advance.

My solution was a new Burlington crank, steel main caps, inserts and pressure oil to the mains. Ten years later it's still running and taking some occasional abuse.

IMG_2482.JPG

Dustyp489, brjnelson, Jet96 and 3 others like this.
  5. joemac05

joemac05

Thanks for the reply, I will let him know.....

Outback likes this.
  6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

There really isn't a rear main seal. Is your engine modified for oil pressure? If so then the oil from the rear main is being forced out of the rear main past the oil slinger that was stock. If you have a B engine, then the fix is to install the after market oil seal that is available from the Model A parts houses.

If your engine is not modified for pressure, then you may have a plugged rear main drain pipe, or have to much blow by creating too much crank case pressure forcing oil out the rear bearing.

Dustyp489, Old Dawg and panhead_pete like this.
  7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Friends, can anyone identify this?

I know it's somewhat related to the "SM" Smiley Martin Magneto Drives, but this one is a little odd.
    It's got a drive, but there isn't a base to mount a mag.

Leaving me puzzled, I'm curious.... What would this be used for?
    IMG_3050.png IMG_3051.png IMG_3052.png

Barrelnose pickup likes this.
  9. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Does the shaft have a key way? It looks parallel?
    Maybe it is for some type of coupling or auxiliary drive for something? ?

10. It could most definitely be an aux drive. As far as the shaft, there is no keyway and the hole isn't threaded.

I'm considering reproducing some shaft driven water pumps, and might run this with them. Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 8.41.00 AM.png

11. Water pump would be a good thing, it addresses part of the inadequate cooling system in the "A/B".
    The fact that there is no key would lead me to believe it is for a magneto, using a clamping collar for timing.
    It's all good, keep it up!
    J

Old Dawg likes this.
  12. Full assembly

AFB5A03A-E970-4AC6-BCB6-10F426BC1B4E.jpeg

Outback, Jet96, Old Dawg and 2 others like this.
  13. I think the water pump could be pretty cool. My friend, @chevahaulic took a Chevy 216 pump and adapted it. Apparently the flow of water was backwards.

I'm working on this, despite being super rough. Plan is to start cleaning it up, and possible 3D print it for mockup. I'm hoping to have it setup for a Wico X mag or Bosche MJC. untitled.png

14. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Seems as though this email address may not correct.

Can anyone verify this for me?

29 Speedster and Old Dawg like this.
  15. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Does anyone have the directions to FAB the throttle Pivot Arm that is used with aftermarket manifolds. I have the Riley Downdraft aka Equalizer.

Used to be a PDF floating out there.
    Thanks

16. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

John , you have the best toy's

Outback likes this.
  17. Steve,
    Yeah, I wish, I am just doing some work on it for Bonneville.
    It is going in the 4E4 tank, turbo and fuel. One of the first 5 main girdles I ever did.

J

Outback likes this.
  18. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i read where the salt is bad this year . bummer

19. We will not know until we get there.
    Usually, the online chatter is "It's the best we have ever seen" until you arrive.
    Couple years ago, it was like soup, car stayed in the trailer, my liver did get a work out though...

J

20. IMG_0307 crop.jpg
    Retson,
    Yes, keep building on this platform. Only comment, make the pad larger to fit a rectangular pump flange.

John

Outback, 4bangerbob and raaf like this.
  21. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

Perhaps a mounting pad in front of the accessory gear too, then something could be driven off the front of it. It would be easy enough to remove some metal and smooth it over if someone didn't like the looks of the extra metal.

22. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"We will not know until we get there.
    Usually, the online chatter is "It's the best we have ever seen" until you arrive.
    Couple years ago, it was like soup, car stayed in the trailer, my liver did get a work out though..."

"It's the best we have ever seen" -- said the rookies.

"Couple years ago, it was like soup, car stayed in the trailer . . ." -- We weren't that smart, but we did set a record. Logged 4 miles getting to the 3.

Old Dawg, Outback and Dustyp489 like this.
  23. Stan
    How many spin revolutions does it take to go a mile? Got that Martini driver still?
    I missed the stuffing party, work you know, or don’t
    John

24. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Nah -- sold the roadster after 57 years. Great new owner that knows and appreciates its history. The Martini guy just drove his banger roadster from Arizona to Montana, allegedly cruising at 70 mph on the way. The two of you musta figured it out.

Old Dawg, Dustyp489 and Outback like this.
  25. My 30 closed cab is still stolen.....sigh.

Outback likes this.
  26. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

John,
    Is this a wet or dry sump set up? There doesn't look like there is any plumbing for an external oil sump.

27. Definitely will do! At the end of the day, I'm just a kid learning CAD!
    Here's what I've made so far. It's quite rough, but I'm still getting the hang of it.

I'm considering having it secured with some longer oil pan bolts, which I feel might help with rigidity since it kicks out to clear the oil return tube.
    new new side drive.png

Old Dawg likes this.
  28. That’s good to know, it is the enthusiasm that needs to continue. I watch so many collections just dumped by the surviving families.
    I think of it as being a curator in the history of these cars and working on passing it down to Owen.
    That’s great Martini is in Montana, don’t tell him the warranty ended at the end of my driveway.
    John

Old Dawg, Jet96 and Outback like this.
  29. CDO
    This is wet sump only single stage pump
    I typically run belt drive on dry sump assy
    The pump would stick out pretty far

Old Dawg likes this.
  30. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

That sux