Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake light switch

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by jerryt, Jul 15, 2022.

1. jerryt

jerryt

I have a 26 model t roadster. The car has a Datsun 4 cylinder with a four speed. My question is it doesn’t have a brake light switch. Any ideas on how to incorporate a brake switch? I have a 40 style master and drum brakes. I just got it running it sat for 25 years.
    Thanks
    Jerry

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.
  2. You can use a brake pressure switch to activate the lights

better way is a micro switch on the brake pedal arm .

3. Hillbilly Werewolf

Hillbilly Werewolf

Most '40s cars used a hydraulic switch, mounted in a T in the brake line. Easy because it can locate anywhere near your master, but do yourself a favor and get the "low pressure " version. Runs about $20-30
    OR
    Get a mechanical "street rod" switch. It bolts under the floor with a mechanical arm, usually adjustable, that touches the pedal arm. Costs about $20-30
    Of course, both need two wires going to switch, power, turn signal, lights etc

4. alchemy

alchemy

dirt t, gimpyshotrods, SPEC and 4 others like this.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I removed the pressure switch from my '46 Ford and installed a Chevy truck mechanical switch under the toe board. It's activated by the pedal arm, just like the Chevy's do. One reason I really like it is because the brake lights are activated instantly with slight pedal movement, instead of relying on pressure to build up. The other reason I like it is because I don't have to deal with junk pressure switches anymore.

7. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I prefer not to use the pressure switch specially on a single reservoir ,plumbed into the brake line ,they can blow out most made now are cheap made , if desire to use use a commercial /industrial grade 9B2DE9F1-AACE-48D8-9987-FC981EE61104.jpeg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. I use these on all my cars with an under the floor master. Just get a good quality one.

[​IMG]

9. Jay A Driggars

Jay A Driggars

10. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

...then there's always a motorcycle mechanical break switch.

11. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

I use an old GM switch from a '56 Chevy on one of my bikes!

12. squirrel

squirrel

I use one on my 59 Chevy pickup...because it's original equipment. They fail, too, I've replaced it several times over the 45 years I've had the truck.

1oldtimer likes this.
  13. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve read here on the HAMB the Harley Davidson pressure switches work on the EV8 masters cylinders. I bring it up since you mentioned a 40 MC

nosford likes this.
  14. clem

clem

^^^^ I have read the same, although I think I read that they have to be mounted vertically to work correctly.

mechanical is the only way I would go after swapping out the cheap hydraulic ones every year or two…..

15. I've been buying up the nos ones at swapmeets, I have an nos one one my '56 panel (also on the non GM makes too). I've had the Ford aftermarket ones leak at the crimp or even pop the contact end off while driving (no leaking before hand on inspection), I used to carry a new switch and a pipe plug (just in case the new switch leaked). If the GM goes out you'll just loose the brake lights, not brake fluid.

16. squirrel

squirrel

I've been using NORS switches, they last for a while, but not forever. The last one had the shaft rust in the housing and shear off.

1oldtimer likes this.
  17. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

knock on wood… The hydraulic switch on my 41 Cadillac is damn old but it still works fine. I bought the car in 1985 and it looked old then. I still want to put a lever switch on (such as the Chevy pick up type) because I would like to have very quick reacting brake lights.

18. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run a generic GM mechanical switch on my Ford.

It is adjusted such that the brake lights are on while the pedal is still taking up free-play.

TrailerTrashToo and clem like this.
  19. Troubadour85

Troubadour85
    from Dayton, OH

Like it or not this was my favorite set up yet. 5 dollar momentary switch I put into an old pedal pad. Always works after 2 failed pressure switches and I had a hard time finding a clean way to install the mechanical one with the arm using an ansen style swing pedal

Attached Files:

20. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Took one from a mid eighties Chevette and farmed up a bracket to the pedal on my 58'. Had a stock pressure switch till it got to the point where I was almost at a full stop before the lights came on.

21. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

22. A Boner

A Boner

Skip the hydraulic switches…with a mechanical switch you can tap the brake pedal to deal with tailgaters, w/o actually slowing down, like what happens with the hydraulic switches.

John Starr likes this.
  23. I have a few old brand replacements. The last new ones I bought (years ago) where wildly off, some didn’t have continuity until half way…..so I started to collect NOS/NORS ones.

24. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

The MC is under the cab so I used a sealed momentary switch and a home brewed bracket. It sits on the heim joint where the pedal connects to the booster pushrod.
    stswitch2.JPG
    stswitch.JPG

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022