Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I'm mad at my 34!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocky, Jul 15, 2022.

1. I've been thinking I might make a run from Omaha to the west coast to visit family. I'd planned to drive my coupe out there because I'd driven it to Joplin for the HAMB drags a few times with no problems. Checked fluid levels and the plan was to do an "exploratory" run 150 miles west to Grand Island, Nebraska just to make sure everything was ok with the car.
    Every since I put the motor [Pontiac 370 cu in] together the rope rear main seal has dripped a little but not enough to worry about. I was planning to put my highway gears in the quick change but got lazy....left the 3.54s in and set off for Grand Island. At highway speeds the engine was buzzing more than I was comfortable with [3300-3500 rpm] but what the hell.
    Everything went pretty good until I pulled into a gas station at G.I. for some $4.70 fuel. I could hear the rear gear a little louder than I liked and at idle the oil pressure was lower than usual. I fired it back up and came home. I noticed the exhaust would puff a little smoke on deceleration ........ that's new.
    I made it home ok and the next day I checked the oil to see it was ok, in fact it was over full. Hmmmm....the engine is MAKING it's own oil??? Welp, I've been through this before with an old ford pickup I once owned. I have a hole in the mechanical fuel pump's diaphram! Pumping raw fuel into the crankcase! I sniffed the dipstick and the oil fill to confirm my suspicions. Smelled like gasoline. I was pissed and parked the car in the garage for almost 2 weeks without even looking at it.
    Today I actually decided to work off my 9 point list of shit to fix and number 1 was jack the beast up. Number 2 was drain engine oil, trans oil and drain rear axle. I got the engine oil drained to find the genuine plastic washer under my drain plug has a crack in it. I'm sure I'll find other stuff wrong too.
    As I think about it I shouldn't be mad at all....the car got me 300 miles of fun and was able to get me home. Tomorrow is another day. 34onstands2.jpg 34onstandsoil.jpg

2. swifty

swifty

Better to find the problems on your exploratory run than on your big one. That's why you did it -right ? Now get stuck into that list and knock them all off. Then take that Ponty powered coupe on the big run.

210superair, Tim, brady1929 and 2 others like this.
  3. No tow truck, hopefully no damage and you know what's wrong. You got off light.
    Fingers crossed that your rod & main bearings are ok.

4. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

sometimes they own you ..../

5. That could have been a whole lot worse. Thank your lucky stars, Rocky, and safe travels when you get things sorted and head West again.

6. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn old cars, I hate 'em....

-Abone.

7. Sounds like your '34 is mad at YOU!!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

My sedan has oil spots like that underneath every place I park it. And my drain plug gasket is actually not one of them.

9. I got the engine oil leaks fixed with a new pan gasket and rear main seal, but the 39 trans leaks like a sieve from multiple places.

Also, not questioning you but, 3500 rpm sounds pretty high for 3.54 gears. Are your rear tires really small? Or were you running 85-90 mph?

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@Dan Hay I wouldn’t put it past him! Those Omaha hot rodders got a foot so heavy they sound like a pirate walking across the room. (Think one foot and one loud peg leg ;) )

It’s frustrating when your find the gremlins run is fruitful, at least your legs won’t go up the wall when you lay down under the car to wrench in that garage mahal of yours :)

no hill for a stepper like @porknbeaner tells me ;)

11. I think the Coupes mad at you!!! haha

12. 2935ford

2935ford

That's it....get rid of it!
    Just give me a call and I'll remove that pestering thing! :(

Hey, this is what these old jalopies do. Mostly just for fun and to keep you on your toes.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pontiac engines don't have oil leaks, they mark territory.

In real news, if that car has a 28 inch tall tire he was cruising along at about 82 mph and if had a 27 inch tire he was doing 79. http://www.advanced-ev.com/Calculators/TireSize/

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Sounds like your plan to do some test runs was a great plan, and it didn't leave you stranded either. So really a success, although not the results you hoped for. But not a total loss, and sounds like it wont be an expensive or time consuming fix either.

Thor1 and chevy57dude like this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Be mad at $4.70 ethanol.

16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

sounds about right. Most of the interstate over there is 75-80mph

17. Hey, I found regular down to $5.75 yesterday. Happy days.

blowby and seb fontana like this.
  18. Rocky, your coupe is like my old 1956 Harley, if there is no oil on the ground there is no oil in the engine/transmission. :D HRP

19. Old cars suck! But, they sure are fun too!

Thor1, chevy57dude and Tim like this.
  20. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Borrow some big tall tires from a buddy to make your big run ;)

21. killbilly

killbilly

Jeff, I saw your sedan marking its territory at Des Moines....

alchemy likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

that’s what the quick change is for ;)

23. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Man those drips are noting compared to my garage soot under the flathead. Been drippijg for years! Lol.

guthriesmith likes this.
  24. Budget36

Budget36

Ya know what’s funny, I had a 221 FH Ford, never leaked a drop on the cement. Bought an engine in a chassis, pulled the engine out it and put it in my ‘42 PU. Had it for 5 or 6 years before sending it down the road, but never had signs of an oil leak. Whoever put that engine together did it right.

Desoto291Hemi and 210superair like this.
  25. That’s kinda what I was thinking. I would be pretty embarrassed to show how much oil and oil dry is where I park my car.

Thor1, Tim and 210superair like this.
  26. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

A oil leak is the best way to keep clean oil in the engine.

slim38 and firstinsteele like this.
  27. alchemy

alchemy

I park over a full sheet of plywood in my garage, and even that doesn't catch every spot.

rod1 and guthriesmith like this.
  28. Cardboard under my old cars to soak up the drips.

I think the test was successful. Although it creates a lot of work. Better to fix in your garage than on the road.

slim38 and Tim like this.
  29. I worked in a gas station in 1963. A guy came in every day in a '54 Chevy to get a buck worth of gas and a quart of reclaimed oil. Had a pretty good leak. His oil always looked brand new. Never needed to change it.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.