Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Rodder's Journal back in '22? Does anyone have any news?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thinkfink, Jun 30, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best news in quite some time. Long live Rodders Journal !

catdad49, 54reno, Church Key and 2 others like this.
  2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

So if I'm reading this correctly I can't buy the new issue off of the website yet until they fulfill all the subscriptions?

Scooterville likes this.
  3. Correct. Same goes for merchandise orders.

4. 5window

5window

[​IMG]

saltracer219 and catdad49 like this.
  5. "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours."

das858 likes this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I talked to Steve for the first time since all this went down last week… His number one priority is making right by those that paid him. He’s laser focused on that.

7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I wouldn’t read Hot Rod if you gave it to me for free or even paid me... I don’t agree that it went down hill since ‘56 though, perhaps in the last twenty years or so? In regards to my comment of no tech articles I stand by it. I never said I didn’t like it by the way. I don’t swallow KoolAid just because everyone else is! It would be a complete magazine if old school tech info was supplied. I did say it was a very good coffee table type magazine though, just wish it had at least one article per issue like R&C did when Ganahl was there.

chevy3755 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  8. Actually it was originally penned by John Lydgate. 1370 - 1450

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

“You can fool all of the people some of time; you can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all the people all the time.” Attributed to Abraham Lincoln in The New York Times, August 27, 1887.

catdad49 likes this.
  9. 5window

5window

Yes, thank you. I knew that but figured more HAMBers would appreciate Abe than a 15th century English monk. But, good for you to catch the literary reference.

Outback, catdad49 and Algoma56 like this.
  10. fargoguy

fargoguy

While I have tried to remain silent since the original thread years ago, this statement gives me hope. Thanks Ryan.

Outback, catdad49, rod1 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Church Key

Church Key

This is terrific news. I hope it will be available at Barnes and Noble.

5window likes this.
  12. SR100

SR100

I wouldn't hold your breath. Magazine distribution is a mess. At least one of the distributors of smaller (by circulation numbers) and imported magazines went under in the pandemic and mag publishers have had to scramble to get on newsstands. Newsstand sales aren't particularly profitable after shipping and distributor discounts. (The volume does help with ad rates.) I'm guessing it will be below website orders on his priority list.

marcoman likes this.
  13. marcoman

marcoman

Having been in the publishing world over the years I can attest to what it takes to produce a quality magazine. Steve is a man of his word and I have no doubt that he will stand up to the task. It's been years since I chatted with him; I admire the guy but don't envy his dealing with costs demands, distribution woes and the general economy these days. Hopefully he'll be able to also finish whatever (personal) projects he's got going on. I also offered to help do some photography for him but maybe he'd rather do it all by his self? Well Coonan if you read this thread, the offer still stands. Good luck to you Steve and may TRJ have many more issues to come!

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lee Pratt just posted the alternate cover and the spread of his coupe on Instagram. Feeling hopeful!

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

This Subject Will Be Kicked Around Until Reality Wins.... 293130731_10159046186784397_119964177718137510_n.jpg

17. Rusty

Rusty

Woohoo I can’t wait !!!

18. We stopped by Rodder's Journal and East Coast Hot Rod Garage during the Jalopyrama tour and Steve showed us the samples for that issue before it went to Press.

280141246_416131513659414_6999717086462534208_n.jpg

19. Garpo

Garpo

#84 made it to some New Zealand customers

Outback likes this.

20. TJR Issue 85 - Mark Skipper's '34 Roadster Custom Tribute.jpg
    @Royalshifter's '34 Roadster Tribute Custom on the alternate cover of TRJ #85​

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  21. acme30

acme30
    from Australia

Likely that they were subscribers via a local or Australian Distributor eg Australian Street Rodding or Cruzin Magazine.
    Rodder's Journal shipped 84 to their distributors in Australia but not to people who subscribed directly to them in the USA.
    Not trying to start an argument here - just stating fact.

22. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Such great news and I need to get a copy.

Outback, LOU WELLS, HEMI32 and 5 others like this.
  23. mgermca

mgermca

Subscribe and cut the middleman out....if I understand correctly, the distributors to retailers who shredded thousands of copies of TRJ were a contributing factor to the wheels falling off of the TRJ train in the first place.

I'm thinking that if what we are reading here in this thread is true, there doesn't appear to be much risk in subscribing. I know when my local mag emporium didnt carry a couple of issues back in the mid 2010's and the retailer said 'if we get them from the distributor we put them on the newstand' I said 'OK that's it!' and subscribed to make sure I never missed an issue and Steve C got his monely with no middleman.

Can't wait to get no. 85! GO Steve GO!

LOU WELLS and Snicklefritz65 like this.
  24. The exact opposite happened for issue 84 outside the US. No subscribers got it and at least in Western Canada all the distributors did. The real kick in the pants is it's about 1/2 the price to buy from a distributor than it is to subscribe.

Algoma56 and acme30 like this.
  25. Fordors

Fordors

I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it a different way this time- nobody moves and sets up shop near San Francisco to save money. I think that was the tactical error that started the downfall.
    JMO. Flame away if you feel you must.

saltracer219 and Snicklefritz65 like this.
  26. mgermca

mgermca

Royalshifter is in Caifornia if I understood correctly.
    Never mind. Sorry. Don't subscribe then. Whatever LOL.

27. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

28. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

TRJ started in NorCal because that’s where the financing was sourced. Just prior to Covid hitting, Steve moved the operation to the east coast in an effort to better control overhead.

Hamtown Al, Lil32, 5window and 9 others like this.
  29. @mgermca - @Royalshifter was being sarcastic / facetious about needing "to get a copy" ... i.e., the TRJ #85 "alternate cover" pic I posted (see post #140) features his "1934 Roadster Tribute Custom".

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
    Royalshifter likes this.
  30. young51

young51

Plus when Steve moved to SF he took over Roy Brizio's old shop, an ideal place for a mini studio.

Hamtown Al, Outback and Scooterville like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.