Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My hotrod got damaged yesterday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sonofabob, Jul 5, 2022.

1. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

get to banging... more metal and less bondo...

R.png

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.
  2. collision 101
    D7D673F5-4744-4DAD-92B7-A17D20AAF9E3.jpeg
    Tap up the lows, tap down the highs

Cosmo49, Bandit Billy, SS327 and 3 others like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad to see as that is a nifty car but I'm afraid that when all the bondo is gone there isn't going to be a lot of solid metal left. You didn't buy it from a guy in Waco did you? I had a buddy there who could pretty well build a body out of Bondo.

Stan Back likes this.
  4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cave it and pave it! :cool:

blowby and anthony myrick like this.
  5. Cool looking model T, from what I see. Good luck on getting it fixed up really soon !

P. S. Nothing on the car is newer than 1962 mechanically. Saginaw four-speeds were manufactured from 1966-'86 ??

6. Damn. That is a great looking hot rod. All fixable with some work and $. Very sorry this happened,:( and I do know first hand how you feel.

7. junkman8888

junkman8888

Unless you want to sell it "as-is", there really is only one way out; remove the gas tank, the interior, the windshield, the dash, swap out the nice rubber for rollers then get out the propane torch and the scrapers and get to work. Remember to take pictures so we can share in the experience, best of luck.

8. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Was it insured?

9. Nacifan

Nacifan

GRN Turtle Deck1.JPG I have a 100% Steel Henry Ford ZERO Bondo-Mud-Filler etc.-etc.-etc. listed in the part for sale section....

10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Yep, I think you will be time and money ahead to just buy a replacement deck rather than try pulling the old one out and refiberglassing it. The bodies on those old cars don't have a lot of bracing and when you start pulling, you may stress the "cab" and warp it in the process. I'd just get a new complete deck for it.:)

11. Strip it, start hitting it with hammers and put some filler back over top, paint and enjoy. They don’t all have to be perfectly metal finished cars.

427 sleeper and anthony myrick like this.
  12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Will it be considered a "fiberglass" car then ?

13. 34 5W Paul

34 5W Paul
    from Fresno CA

Bummer. Very cool looking early/mid-sixties hot-rod with a bunch of custom touches. I'm a fan of Henry's designs so I'd be tempted to un-blend a lot of the body lines and features that seem to have been smoothed or hidden with filler. Your car, your call of course.
    So far the visual evidence looks like nearly an eighth inch of filler everywhere it cracked; the counterpoint to that is that it's held up since '06 with no issues until now. The area where the wheel wells were removed has the long vertical crack and it's a fair distance forward. The corner itself looks torn and the earlier comment about the sheet metal's integrity is worth considering.
    Would love to see a bunch of photos of it down to bare metal.
    Best of luck.