Register now to get rid of these ads!

I got a new work bench.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Bruce Fischer, Jul 13, 2022.

1. EB06EC19-6A5F-4466-8DD8-BB81C995BCDD.jpeg E64A94E2-0A3F-4736-8434-911F16A451E3.jpeg 0B1391CC-B2EB-4751-AEC6-901D7F8FB311.jpeg My new shop didn’t have anything in it when we moved here I was going to in stall more insulation but this new work bench popped up right down the road from us and when I saw his price I had to get it. The guy said it took him just a hour to put his together . Ahhhh don’t think so Here’s what it looked like when I got it all part. It’s going to be 3 pictures , so wish me luck LOL I will post a picture when I get all together . Thanks Bruce.

2. Budget36

Budget36

First thing, throw the directions away. A real man just wings it;)

3. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

That looks fine, wood is good .

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  4. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Think maybe knee pads, until it stands on its own.

5. kls50

kls50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wish I had room in my garage for a new workbench!

6. spanners

spanners

"Part A slots into Part C , no hang on, Part D goes in first. Where's part F? There's not enough nuts. Shit, where did I put my beer? "

Okie Pete, alanp561, scotty t and 3 others like this.
  7. I know right?LOL.

8. Ziggster

Ziggster

An hour! Lol! It took me two hrs to figure out how to assemble an Ikea nightstand.

Okie Pete, alanp561 and Bruce Fischer like this.
  9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Should be fun!!!!----------Cover the flat surface with 16 Ga. steel for long lasting thumping!!

10. BJR

BJR

I just used the box it came in and threw away the parts inside.:D

11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When I built the work bench for my old shop back in 95 I had the local sheet metal shop make me a 14 gauge top out of stainless. Indestructible. Sadly it now sits in a storage building because I didn't have room in my new shop.

Okie Pete and Bruce Fischer like this.
  12. I will cover with something due to paint mixing.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  13. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Most of us would have new work benches, that is if we just cleaned the stuff off of them... DSCN1272.JPG And it was relatively clean here...

14. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve got 16 feet of bench that would rival that;)

15. Nice ! It looks like you need an existing work bench, so that you can use it to correctly assemble your new work bench . :) :D

16. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

MAN LAW #2 When all else fails read the directions.

17. Thats looks like my old wood bench.LOL.

18. I hope to add to it in time.

19. There was nothing in there when we moved in and hope to add a nice beat up work bench to it.

20. Yea that’s my down fall. LOL.

catdad49 likes this.
  21. catdad49

catdad49

If you have a finished picture, you have half a shot of assembling it correctly. Here's mine when first finished with the addition of a bottom shelf, don't mind the guy with the funny hat!

Attached Files:

22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What are you doing taking pictures of MY shop? ;)

23. Headed out to try to finish it up today.

catdad49 likes this.
  24. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Hey Bruce,
    An empty shop is the best time to epoxy that floor....and add any needed wiring.....and more LED lights.....and insulate more....and paint....and....Well you get the picture! LOL

Okie Pete, Bruce Fischer and catdad49 like this.
  25. catdad49

catdad49

Bruce, some advice if you’re thinking about an epoxy floor. Choose your base color wisely and Don’t get speckles because the Only way to find Any small parts is with a broom!

26. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

If you watch on Facebook or look for auctions, you can find stainless steel tables. The prices vary, but reasonably priced ones pop up on occasion. Eithe use as is or remove the top and put it on your workbench.
    I have one I bought eons ago that isn't as big as my original workbench (16'). Its about five feet with a small backsplash. I use it for working on dirty engine stuff and then wipe it clean when done. If oil runs out it is trapped in the SS top and doesn't spill over onto the rest of the bench. Works good for paint as well.
    Later I picked up an 8' complete table with a flat top. Its kind of a catch all for stuff when working under the lift. Still later I found another basically flat with a backsplash and raised edges. I built another storage building that has extra lighting and a vent system so it can double as a paint booth. I put the 5' table in there and set a paint shaker on it. Works great for mixing paint and easy to clean.
    Prices vary a lot on stainless stuff but if you keep checking you can find some reasonably priced stuff too.

Crane in Leanto 1x.JPG

27. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Small but efficient. The wood top is covered in Plasticote. Easily assembled once you replaced all of the missing nuts and bolts. (All of the rest of the junk is strategically placed on another bench out of camera range)
    20220709_125523_resized[9736].jpg

Okie Pete, Bruce Fischer and alanp561 like this.
  28. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now, I don't know how good terms you are with your local fast-food places but, from time to time they change the way they utilize their workspaces and some perfectly good industrial stainless benches and tables get pushed into their storage or worse yet, get thrown out. I currently have two that I acquired from a local fried chicken franchise FOR FREE. The worst part about them was cleaning years of accumulated chicken fat and some other stuff that I don't even want to know what it was. When I was done, I had a flat top that would hold my '27 T body. The top on the other one was 30" x 50" with an 8" backsplash. The working top on that one was 36" off the floor and makes it just the right height for working on carburetors or transmissions. It's covered up right now so no pic. Come to think of it, the 5' long x 24" deep x 6' tall wire shelving against the back wall came out of their freezer when they reworked it. IMG_1833.jpg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  29. spanners

spanners

I'm more concerned about the nice hat with the funny guy under it.

Bruce Fischer, catdad49 and Budget36 like this.
  30. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bruce, great to have you back on here! Have you found your favourite station wagon yet? If not, you sure found your favourite workbench, that´s a start! Good to see you on here again.