Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Foot Starter Switch Lubrication ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Steve Lowe, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Steve Lowe

Steve Lowe

Getting ready to install my new starter switch on my Mopar flathead. Anyone know if the contacts should be lubricated or left dry? When I took the switch off there was a black grease that had definitely been applied to the copper contact surfaces. I rebuilt this starter 35 years ago, but can't remember why I lubricated it or if it was even supposed to be? My dad, a professional mechanic was alive then. I'm thinking he may have suggested lubrication? I'm wondering if it may have been some special lube? I was thinking of applying a light coat of anti-seize? Thoughts and opinions welcomed!

Attached Files:

Toms Dogs likes this.
  2. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I wouldn't put anything on the copper....On six volt contacts you need all the contact you can get...

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  3. TCTND

TCTND

Anti-seize has a lot of metal in it; probably not desirable for electrical contacts.

4. joee

joee

i put a smear of dialect grease on mine

5. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

The problem with grease is that it collects dirt. In time the dirt both, causes wear and impedes current.

6. Budget36

Budget36

Maybe your dad wanted to try and seal it up some for corrosion? Probably thinking where the contacts are, the grease will soon be gone, yet still remain around to protect?
    Just a guess.

7. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ

8. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I know when I let mine sit a long time I will get some corrosion between the pedal and copper contact.
    Basically like a dirty battery cable and no contact.

I operate the pedal several times and it is sorta self cleaning. Starts working on it's own again.
    First time it happened I tore it apart and cleaned it .... second time I just used it til it worked.

My advice.... Drive the crap out of it and not let it sit. .... Maybe some dialectic grease could help?
    Seems anything you put on it will get mechanically removed by using the starter .... I dunno.

9. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

Maybe the black grease you saw had migrated from the plunger shaft or was on the insulator pads

The contacts are designed to rub as the make contact so are self cleaning to some extent. Leave them dry. Any oxide will rub off with use. Grease can burn under the right conditions so not desirable where there is an electric arc

10. goldmountain

goldmountain

I had one of those trucks way back when. On mine, the starter pedal on the firewall was worn out so the shaft would get stuck and the starter would keep on grinding. Replaced the starter with a passenger car unit that had a solenoid and went to starting it with a key switch.