Register now to get rid of these ads!

History A Cheetah in Emeryville

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 6, 2022.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

A Cheetah in Emeryville

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

mgtstumpy, alfin32, Ziggster and 19 others like this.
  2. NoSurf

NoSurf

I've always wanted a Cheetah. When I was a kid my Dad had bought a new Chevy truck and he received the Chevy Friends magazine. I remember there was a Cheetah on a trailer behind a new Chevy pickup on the cover of one issue. I was like "what is THAT?!!!"...

I taped out the wheelbase on my shop floor before I started on my AV-8 coupe: 90 in. compared to a model A 103 in! Crazy short.

dirtcop1947, SS327, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Yeah Ryan's Kellison post reminded me of my all time dream sports car, a Cheetah. There was a kit for sale on CL in Sacramento a couple of years ago, for 10K. Needed a boatload of finish work and time that I don't have but I think about it often..

If I'm not mistaken that one was at the vintage races at Sears Point a few years ago.

SS327, VANDENPLAS and NoSurf like this.

4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Bill Thomas was also responsible for the fastback Chevy II's. Both it and the Cheetah are very cool cars.
    Lots of great pictures on this website:
    https://billthomascheetah.com

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy, alfin32, SS327 and 7 others like this.
  5. noboD

noboD

As I remember the trans was coupled to the rear without a driveshaft. One of the few kit cars still built I would want to own.

SS327 likes this.
  6. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

I had a 1/24th scale Cheetah slot car made by Cox when I was a teenager. That was a long time ago!

7. chiro

chiro

I've got a left nut I'd trade for that. Always loved those.
    Andy

Deuces and NoSurf like this.
  8. HUGE fan. I love the self-built sports cars from the 1950s-1960s. My only question now that I'm older is I wonder if they ever made a kit for fat guys... ???

B Bay Barn and Deuces like this.
  9. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Who wouldn't want a Cheeta ? Thanks Jive

Deuces likes this.
  10. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The Fast Back Chevy II looks very similar to a AMC Marlin.

1940Willys, kevinrevin, SS327 and 5 others like this.
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  12. Thomas' Cheetah is an absolute favorite!

...and imagine if he kept going with the Super Cheetah in '65 (second pic is the aluminum prototype)!!!...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sky Six, mgtstumpy, SS327 and 4 others like this.
  13. NoSurf

NoSurf

14. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I got to see Cheetah #1 at Duncan Pittaway's place in England. A sexier car has not been created.

Tickety Boo and Deuces like this.
  15. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

Yes, I “found” this particular project car - bought it from Bob Auxier - it was his personal car, then I sold it to Ian who had it restored and races it here - it was up to 5th at the Goodwood Members Meeting this year in the Graham Hill Trophy race with pro-driver Anthony Reid racing it.

I only sold it as I was up to my neck in my ‘34 Bonneville build but had to have another one and found this Bob Auxier continuation car - previously owned by Bob Boyce, it was one of only six race versions.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/08/fast-cat-the-bill-thomas-cheetah/

We raced this one in the Big Bend Open Road Race down on the Tex-Mex border - only driven it on an abandoned airfield before and had no idea which way we would be pointing when we exited the first corner but it handled perfectly - sticky Avons transformed it. Downsides were the scorching heat in the cabin - it was so hot in there we couldn’t wear our Nomex suits - and the noise - 126 decibels through those open pipes over 120 miles makes your ears ring after a while.

Regards

Jon.

P.S. I know where the Super Cheetah lives.

Attached Files:

16. Deuces

Deuces

All I could afford is the Aurora HO slot car..... :(

17. Ziggster

Ziggster

I only discovered the Cheetah a couple weeks ago while watching a YT vid of Duncan racing his. Reading up on it I think I also had one for my slot car track when I was a kid. The sound of that engine winding out on the track is just incredible.

Deuces likes this.
  18. Deuces

Deuces

20. SS327

SS327

I thought the Cheetahs all came with 377cu engines?

21. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Another car I'd love to own but never will. There was one at our local town annual car show about a decade ago, made the cruise, never got a chance to get an upclose look at it.

Devin

22. silent rick

silent rick

20220710_111905.jpg

bob boyce got a good chuckle out of that. he doesn't know what auxier has been feeding you but bob still owns his continuation cheetah and continues to modify it and make it better.

Deuces, mgtstumpy and SS327 like this.
  23. noboD

noboD

At least ONE was built with a 427.

Tickety Boo, Deuces and SS327 like this.
  24. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

Yes he does. I bought the car - continuation chassis #006 - from racer Phil Smith, who said Bob owned two continuation Cheetahs and the one I bought was his spare car. Makes no odds either way - it was a great car and the new owner had never heard of Bob anyway!

Regards

Jon.

25. killbilly

killbilly

Sitting on the front tire of a Miller that won Pikes Peak in the early 30s

Hollywood-East likes this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-7-13_3-46-26.png Anaheim, CA

Hello,

"...Raw racing indeed..." That red one is very impressive and valuable. We encountered several models a long time ago in So Cal. By 1963, my friend with the 57 Chevy Bel Air and I were at a stopping point of our hot rod adventures. His 57 Chevy and my 58 Impala were as built as much as our budgets would allow. The next step would have been to install a 671 supercharged SBC motor for the ultimate street power and perhaps go back to the drags that we had been reluctant to attend after 1960.

But, in thinking back, we let our 671 292 c.i. SBC blower spec motor go and that episode was now officially over. In thinking of what that motor would have done in the 57 Chevy and/or in my 58 Impala, who needed a 409 Bel Air Bubble Top? As the year rolled on, we were looking for the next thing and his friend had a mild Corvette that was a reliable street, daily driver.

Our conversations turned to modifying the Corvette and cruise around with a lightweight sporty car. Not good for double dating, but at least it would give us a different outlook on speed and power for the street. So, we read about the Cheetah sporty cars being built just 20 miles away in Anaheim, CA. It had SBC power, a light weight chassis/body and could be set up with any amount of go.

We drove over to the shop and saw several in the lot and street. They were impressive although we did not hear any being run at the time. They just looked mean and ready for any action. The one problem we noticed was the lack of any insulation and upholstery. The gauges were full complement of what we all knew from our hot rods, but the two buckets seats were the only thing upholstered. So, noise and heat were two things we knew would be in great quantities.

Jnaki

We were teenagers and were impressed with the American sports car that could challenge the Corvette market if put into production. The odd styling would be a problem for most, but the power would have overcome that styling for us power hungry teens. The cost was way over what we would pay for a new car, so that was just another dream.

As we stood there looking, we could not get over the cool design and power that would have been the talk of the town. But, we talked about cost and reliability, while sitting in the drive-in restaurant back in Bixby Knolls eating our quantities of French fries and gravy with Cherry Cokes. “Teenage wastelands…only teenage wastelands..."

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  27. Jax2A

Jax2A

My dad had a Cheetah slot car too, it was my favorite out of all our slot cars and why I love Cheetahs… His was about 1/64 scale though and I still have it:
    upload_2022-7-24_22-30-19.jpeg

GlassThamesDoug and Deuces like this.
  28. patsurf

patsurf

that fooled me into thinking it was 1/ 24 scale!

29. silent rick

silent rick

again, bob never owned two cheetahs. the guy fed you a line