Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hemi, baby. (270 in my '32 3 window)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironandsteele, Jul 11, 2022.

1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I haven't done a formal build thread on this car, since my progress has been sporadic. But yesterday I was able to set the motor and trans in place and figure out their positions. Also got a feel for the placement of the pedals, steering and exhaust. Now I can build mounts and move ahead with the rest of the major component placement.

Engine is a '55 270 Red Ram that was completely rebuilt top to bottom by a local Hemi guru that recently passed. When I got it, it was on a run stand and had only been broken in. (this is why it has a big/dumb fan on it, that will be changed. It's also why the plug wires are long and goofy looking, he had them routed up to big brackets that stuck way out on the run stand for some reason - will also be changing that of course.) I'm waiting for the family to round up the build sheet for me, but boy does it sound nice. Very punchy, with a nice sounding cam. For a little thing, it sure sounds great. I've always liked these baby Hemi's, and I think it fits well in this car. I did some minor trimming to the firewall to get it sitting as far back as I needed it to/as high as I wanted it to.

I'm not a "patina" guy necessarily, but this one will stay basically the way it is. I'm just going to paint the chassis in a semi-gloss and drive the thing. I'm also going to raise the rear end up at least an inch to give it a little better rake.

Some other note-worthy things about the car:

-4" straight chop, pillars leaned back
    -Chassis built by Schroeder Speed and Custom (Portland, Oregon) swept 2" in the front, Model A front crossmember moved forward 2", 1940 rear crossmember, notched rails for clearance.
    -Muncie M20 wide ratio
    -'57 Olds rear end
    -Big window magnesium Halibrands, 8.20 and 5.60 Firestones

If anyone wants to read the story of how this car came to be in my possession, it can be found (along with a ton of other content) here: https://ironandsteele.com/blogs/news/better-lucky-than-good

32hemi.jpg

32hemi2.jpg

32hemi3.jpg

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

You will styling and profiling :cool:

3. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I to am a case nut for the old engines, sizes and eights. I had a 291 DeSoto hemi but a little 241,270 or a 276 would be fun.

4. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Thanks man! Definitely needs the rear lifted up a little bit further to get that nice rake and then it will be pretty good I think.

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

5. 73RR

73RR

Looks good. Nice to see another 270 in a rod.

6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

With the front cross member moved did you land at like a 108” wheelbase?

7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

This is bad ass :)

Attached Files:

8. elgringo71

elgringo71

What a great looking Coupe. You have definitely done it justice.

9. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Nice car. I built this RPU just so I could do a Hemi once. Yesterday took it out for maiden voyage and was extremely satisfied. You will like that baby hemi if it is anything like mine. Target for the build was 275 HP, one HP per cubic inch and runs like we hit the target.

Attached Files:

10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Not sure about that. It looks pretty good just like that. Got a full side view ?

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I'd have to measure it, but that sounds right.

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

Tim likes this.
  12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

I'm 100% sure. The rear will come up, the front will come down some too.
    3window16.jpg

politicstshirt.jpg
    ironandsteele.com​

13. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

With the full on side view it does look like it needs a little more attitude. I'd do one end at a time and see how it looks before doing the other end. Here are some pics that might be useful in seeing little differences and what suits you best.

Gammel 32 Cpe Article 10 001.jpg
    32 Ford Example lf.jpg
    32 Ford example vh5 001.jpg
    DSCN5652.JPG
    IMGP1230.JPG
    RJ 20  32 Ford Side View  1 001.jpg
    RJ 49 32 Ford Side view 1 001.jpg
    RUSA 39  32 Ford 1 001.jpg