Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage get out your piggy bank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redoxide, Jul 11, 2022.

1. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Wow! That many 34s under one roof.
    In the early 1900s in Paducah, Ky at the riverfront area was (at the time),the largest glass dump in the world. It spanned 30 or 40 current city blocks. Several whisky makers dumped their waste ceramic jugs there. I have a couple of qt jugs from Nashville found on the 70s. A friend of mine in his 70s had 3 of the 6 pint jugs of a certain brand that were known to exist. They were valuable and highly collectable.
    That is until in the early 90s, somebody dug out about 25 of them and dumped them into the market at the same time. His went from 3000 bucks to 300 bucks overnight.
    Not saying that this is going to kill the market on 34s, but a collection this size would be better on the seller if it were metered into the market at a drip, instead of a stream.
    Just my .02. And, I am probably wrong.

NoelC, chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  2. But he still dies.

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

They said, "where do we begin"? How bout eating a salad once in a while guys.

4. 201 by my count! $40K average. $8 million give or take. Good grief!

hotrodjack33 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  5. 5window

5window

Nope. I'll take "living with a few cars" over "dead leaving behind a lot" any day.

6. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mind blowing amount of Model 40s although the little blue coupe with the spatts is my pic.

7. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Wow. That’s a lot of cars. Looked like the majority of the 33-4 sedans were RHD. I wonder if those came up from Paraguay ? Anyway, looks like his collection will be “gone with the wind” :D

8. NoelC

NoelC

Well if they were RHD, you can guess the reason they were being stored and not driven. RHD are accidents waiting to happen on North American roads making left turns.

Analysis of the Accident Risk for Right-Hand Drive Vehicles in Québec (gouv.qc.ca)

Could be driving them will bring the value up for the LHD models?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dead guys have the neatest stuff!

10. 5window

5window

Your report only studied men up to age 34. So, not a very good sample set, eliminating women and experienced male drivers over 34. Sounds like a study to increase rates for younger drivers.
    RHD can be fine if you pay attention. Also, RHD can be converted. IMHO, this was a collector (hoarder), but I did not know the man.

11. NoelC

NoelC

Converted is the difference between the collector who values how it is and the hotrodder who sees how it could be better.

And while the study is limited, it's relative to the differences of RHD vs. LHD and increased accident risk from driving RHD on LHD roadways in some situations. Also, most older males aren't buying them. Nor are the women.

LHD turning left at a busy intersection is bad enough. Doing that left turn in a RHD is like judging traffic from the passenger seat with your view blocked. So you inch out a bit further and the nose is now out there. Still can't see great but you eventually take a chance.
    Hesitate and wait, gun it and fun it?
    What do under 34 do with out hesitation? That's right, the gun it and fun it.

Those cars, RHD as they are will shake the market up some, but most of us won't feel the tremor if they cause one to occur.

12. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While the Butler collection is marvelous, so far, the Harold Lemay collection, is still my favorite diversified collection, of everything automotive !

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It seems Rhett did pretty well after dumping that Scarlett O'Hara.

ronzmtrwrx and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  14. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seen in DFW area freeway on the weekend.
    6F6A9A05-01DB-4ED1-9F8F-AEEA90E29E59.jpeg

15. indyjps

indyjps

That's just too many.

16. 5window

5window

Yeah, okay,fine. Still a hoarder. Collectors might be one subset that hot rodders out-number. As for deeper pockets, we'll see.

17. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still cant take em with you,,,enjoy what you got...never take that for granted...

5window and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  18. Hotrodderman

Hotrodderman

He had quite and affection for the Model 40's Wonderful collection. I always like 33 and 34 Fords.

19. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Zero info on title status...

20. Wednesday looks like my kind of day- just dreaming.

21. fuzzface

fuzzface

So with so many listed, do you buy early or late at this auction for the deal? or with so many do you buy in the middle?

When there is only a few same items at an auction, I like buying the first one and some times by doing this I am reselling it before I even move it. Seems the items tend to bring more when less are left at the auction. But with so many, do you play the other game and leave people blow their money early and leave and you buy at the end when less money and people are around?

I know for a collector you buy the one that trips your trigger the most but just looking at it as a flipper game mindset.

I also was wondering with so many being sold at once what might happen to market value of them? good thing they are not all LHD otherwise it might have a bigger outcome. I guess as a buyer, you welcome so many more to enter the market but as a seller, you are probably biting your tongue and lip right now.

I might have to follow this one to be nosey and see how it plays out if the early bidders get the deals or the late players.

22. 5window

5window

The article says he bought them mostly in Uruguay, hence the RHD, but no mention of titles. Also says he built his own driving track so they weren't on the highways. Pretty amazing he stayed under the radar. Can you make that much money ranching in South America? No family?

panhead_pete likes this.
  23. [​IMG]

Good googlie mooglie! If I saw that rolling down the highway I would have thought I had traveled back in time, those cars represent a ton of cash! HRP

24. fuzzface

fuzzface

The ones I saw went pretty cheap I thought.

25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

chryslerfan55 and Tman like this.
  26. 5window

5window

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup sign in to your mecum profile then all the sold prices show. if you don't have one it is easy to sign up

5window and chryslerfan55 like this.