Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shorter throw column shifter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by winr, Jul 9, 2022.

1. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If one was to shorten up the throw on a 3 speed manual column shifter a bit

Moving the holes closer on the column arms to the column ?

Or moving oving the holes closer on the trans arms closer to the attatchment points ??

I trying to picture the arc and leverage of each in my mind

I thought of shortening the shift lever a few inches as well

I rebult the column with new everything including internal shift tube

Redid trans as well

Shifts in to each gear with no effort but the shift lever swings in a very wide arc

Ricky.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    41 coupe and Hillbilly Werewolf like this.
  2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

It could presumably work if the OEM geometry is maintained and neutral remains in the same position. Sounds like something is amiss if column was rebuilt and it's still sloppy, did you also replace the column and transmission shift rod bushings?

3. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All bushings are new, its not sloppy and shifts smooth and easy

The arc of the shift lever on the column is huge, I just wish to shorten the ratio a bit
    ......................................................................................................................
    " Moving the holes closer on the column arms to the column ?

Or moving the holes closer on the trans arms closer to the attatchment points ??

I edited the "Or moving "
    .................................................................................................................................

I trying to picture the arc and leverage of each in my mind
    Ricky.

4. inthweedz

inthweedz

Depending on room, I would try lengthening the lower column shift levers first, maybe make an inch/ inch and half extension, drill some holes at different distances, (evenly spaced, thru both extension pieces) tack weld the extension on to the end of the existing levers, hook up the linkage, and try it for movement at the gear lever..
    If that don't work, it's easy to break the tack welds, and put back to factory.
    If it is what you want, don't forget to finish off the tack welds..
    Moving the trans lever holes closer to the pivot will create the same effect, but might require too much pressure thru the linkage to shift gears..
    No doubt others will chip in..

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022

5. KenC

KenC

You need to change the ratio between the column lever and trans lever. Changing one or the other often creates interference with other things, firewall, brake mechanism etc. Changing both just a little rather than one a lot is just as effective and usually easier. move the trans lever hole closer, and the column further away from the center of rotation.

I'd bet a half inch on both would gain enough to satisfy the need. Redrilling the trans hole and welding an extension at the column would be my choice.

6. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Sounds about right..

7. Think of each as the partial arc of a circle. The larger the radius of the arc, the more distance of each degree of the arc. To get a shorter throw on the shifter, @KenC is correct. Shortening the lever on the transmission however will create less leverage to move the shift rails, so it may take more effort to change gears. I would focus on the column levers if there is room.

8. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I shortened a 47 Ford column about a foot to fit a channelled roadster. Mind you, I did it to convert from a three on the tree to an automatic. Had no problems with anything but if you are going to redrill for the pin between the levelers, make sure you drill them straight otherwise you will have binding issues. DSC00431.JPG DSC00433.JPG DSC00434.JPG DSC00435.JPG

olscrounger likes this.
  9. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

The time it takes to move from one gear position to another was carefully engineered to allow the best engagement of the moving gear pieces. Altering this time will affect the life of the transmission components.

In other words, you start speed shifting that thing and you'll probably break something!

A floor shift conversion would give you shorter throws, quicker shifts, and less chance of flexing rods to cause misaligned gear engagement and breakage. But column shifters are theft proof mechanisms nowadays, not many people under 50 can drive them!

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.
  10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Longer arms on the column, or shorter arms on the transmission would shorten the throws.

seb fontana likes this.
  11. winr

winr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks much guys !!

Ricky.