Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 61 Olds 98 project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rukwikenuf, Jul 9, 2022.

1. rukwikenuf

rukwikenuf

Hey all, i have a 61 olds 98 that i just picked up. The guy i got it from doesn't seem to know anything, but looking out over, it seems like someone did a decent restoration on the body and chassis... interior is empty, no carpet even (there's a center console), 394 Skyrocket and a 700r4 trans were included. I'm not much of an automatic guy, but i think I'll go with this until i decide that it's time to switch to 3 pedals. Anyways, i want to make the OE console shifter work with the new transmission. I have the adapter plates and such to install the trans itself, just wondering about the linkage.

The car came with all the trim in a bucket, it looks like it's all there, but there's some title issues that I'm trying to get resolved before i begin the inventory process.

My goal is to get it to the Frankensteiner's Ball in October, under its own power. If the interior isn't complete or the trans doesn't click into 1, i really don't care

Budget36 likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

First rule of the HAMB when introducing a new buy, is to post a pic or two;) lol

3. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

These guys don’t list Old’s, but they’re probably worth a call. They make a variety of kits to convert 2 and 3 speed auto floor shifters to more modern 4 speed autos.

https://shiftworks.com/

4. Switching to manual is not cheap- the bell housing/adapter is odd/specific, as are the clutch and flywheel= expensive (translate as, I may have a clean, low-mileage 394 for sale soon)... :p:D

rukwikenuf likes this.

5. rukwikenuf

rukwikenuf

Here's a pic of the car from seller's listing

Attached Files:

Budget36 and elgringo71 like this.
  6. rukwikenuf

rukwikenuf

Here, this one was when it was loaded on the trailer

Attached Files:

7. rukwikenuf likes this.
  8. I looked at a '62 Olds 88 around 1975 that was converted to a stick. He used parts from a '63-ish Pontiac for the pedals, linkage, etc. It looked pretty factory.

rukwikenuf likes this.
  9. One of my favorite cars…make stellar mild Kustoms…if ya get bored with it shoot me a message

rukwikenuf likes this.
  10. rukwikenuf

rukwikenuf

My homie/neighbor who has been pressuring me to get this project called "dibs" when we picked it up.

My plan is to get it slammed together, heat the springs to lower it a bit, and drive it for a couple years at least... until my 58 chevy truck is done. Who knows, momma might like it by then and not want me to sell it.

One of the best and worst things about 61-64 oldsmobiles is that there aren't many around, locally at least. Minnesota isn't the best place for finding old cars, which is why i had to jump on this one when i saw it.