Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical red actual rubber fuel line

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by fabricator john, Jul 8, 2022.

1. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

is there a source for red actual rubber fuel line ? 3/8 preferably i have the red transparent stuff with spare that i swap out ,but it seems to fade and harden ..thanks in advance
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

2. tomcat11

tomcat11

I personally have not heard of any but, I do remember someone a long time ago warning against using the transparent red stuff and something about a fires.

Atwater Mike and SS327 like this.
  3. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

I think you are talking about Tygon fuel line. It is NOT recommended for anything with pressure. It tends to harden with heat and time.

Use Gates Barrior fuel line, I've had it last many years even with E10 fuel we have.

4. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

what im looking for is not tygon (transparent fuel line ) but actual red rubber fuel line im googleing and coming up empty , i love the post war and mid 50s look and i see red rubber lines , aircraft surplus perhaps like the clamps i have , im just trying to complete the look ,, is there a modern red rubber fuel line thats red (about the color of red air hose ,not red air hose but only in color)
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

jim32 likes this.

5. larry k

larry k

Use the red transparent fuel line ,run 3/8” Nicop fuel line inside , it looks just gasoline, and it bends easy , and it won’t catch fire or melt !!!

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Red Silicone Fuel Hose ? They make this .

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

Please do not refer to PVC tubing (the red stuff) as "TYGON", "Tygon" is the trade mark of the Saint-Gobain corp. It is manufactured out of the AKRON, OH facility. It is common for many to call all PVC tubing as "TYGON" but that is not the case. In fact there are many variations of TYGON some that are designed specifically to run current fuels from small engines in leaf blowers, chain saws etc. These tubing's have "vapor" barrier inner-cores so the outer layer does not release emissions per government regulations. My experiences with silicone is that they will absorb the fuel into the walls of the hose , so use hoses designed for gasoline contact.
    My experiences with hose material is many focused on PTFE inner-cores and SS braiding, I recommend PTFE with "anti-Static" inner-cores typically carbon enriched (carbon black)
    I worked for Saint-Gobain for nearly 32 years before retiring in 2020, so I feel I can speak with some authority.
    Larry K (post 5) has a good solution, or you can get some "red" heat shrink and shrink it over a compatible rubber hose

9. Joe H

Joe H

10. Perhaps you can find some kind of dye to dye the rubber.

11. indyjps

indyjps

Screenshot_20220710-065612_Chrome.jpg

This stuff? Hydraulic Hose ? Red is actually just the outer wrap.

Check it often, expect gasoline to damage it (swell of corrode the inner wall), be prepared to rebuild carbs.

Without knowing the specs of the hose, you won't know how it will handle fuel.

Here's the different types of material that hydraulic hose is made from amd a quick article from Parker site.
    Screenshot_20220710-070301_Chrome.jpg
    https://blog.parker.com/site/usa/en...-hydraulic-hose-and-chemical-compatibility-us

Here's the link to gates fuel hose. If you click thru the types and specs, there's a reason there are types for different applications.
    https://www.gates.com/gb/en/fluid-power/engine-hose/fuel-line-hose.html

The napa stuff suggested above, may have actual specs and you can see how it's rated for fuel.

If you have ethanol blend fuel in your area, it's worth getting the fuel hose rated for it,with a "liner" PTFE is typically used. Even though it's commonly referred to as fuel injection hose due to ability to carry pressure, it will have a thin liner to prevent gasoline / ethanol from damaging the hose.

Gates 4219BG " barricade cabureted fuel hose" is interesting. Has a liner for ethanol use but is more flexible due to not having to carry a fuel injection pressure rating.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
  12. indyjps

indyjps

After all that - red is your main concern.

When you end up running gasoline thru air hose or hydraulic hose for the look you want.

Please check it frequently

Please replace it every year.

I don't want to see your car burn down.

13. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

yeah well the "look" is not as important as safety, just looking for red rubber looking hose not braided not bound actually looks similar in color to a red air line hose , however what seems to have been used then was surplus aircraft fuel hose. in looking at current red aircraft available rubber hose, man its thick .available but thick . a 3/8 " hose is 11/16" in diameter , guess im looking for in the wrong places or just havent found my needle in a haystack .... thank you to all you guys who are looking and advising in this hunt for the impossible..
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

14. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

15. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

There USED to be some...redish, "fuel" (red / orange) line, years back. I don't know if it can still be found.
    Was good stuff, lasted a long time without getting hard or cracking, like in many years, long time.

Mike

mad mikey likes this.
  16. Many years ago I got some off eBay, NOS Edelbrock. I was skeptical at first on how well it would hold up, but it is a quality made hose as Mike VV mentions. I still check it often tho to be sure.... ;)
    Edelbrock Hose.jpg

fabricator john likes this.
  17. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

You mention aircraft.
    Sounds a lot like fire sleeve.
    3299.jpeg
    Slides over any smaller diameter pipe, in aircraft usually fuel and oil lines, electrical cables in proximity to exhausts etc.

Might actually be beneficial to insulate and keep engine heat out of gasoline pipes too... Nice thing is you can put correct grade pipe inside it and have that safety factor in place.

Phil

SS327 likes this.
  18. hipojoe

hipojoe

Like this? IMG_0966.JPG

SS327 and fabricator john like this.
  19. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

Kadillackid and hippojoe. Yes and yes , THAT!
    Fabricator john
    Miss you dad

20. hipojoe

hipojoe

How much of it do you need?

51 mercules likes this.
  21. fabricator john

fabricator john
    from venice fl.

pm sent joe
    fabricator john
    miss you dad

22. Red fuel line and red heater hose too... haven't seen either in years. IIRC the manufacturer color-coded the hose, black was one size, red the other. I distinctly remember 3/4" heater hose as black, the smaller 5/8" was red at the local parts house. Fuel line was black 3/8" or red 5/16", or maybe 5/16"/1/4"...

23. hipojoe

hipojoe

Got it! Check your in box...

210superair likes this.
  24. Garpo

Garpo

purchased some a year or two back, I think from Speedway.
    Hose is printed with "Gates Premo flex multi purpose 1/4" 250psi non conductive"
    That should lead to a source somewhere.
    I like it. Nice and flexible. Looks good. Rated for oil, petrol, diesel.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  25. Clydesdale

Clydesdale

regular hose with red heatshrink over the top?

26. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Being have been in that business years ago you have to really watch out for compatibilities. Otherwise you're asking for issues/troubles like hose deteriorating, swelling, hardening, cracking etc. which could all lead to leaks etc. Fuel can eat a hose alive. It also gets tricky when you use the term "fuel" too as there are many types. So having an expert recommend a compatible and durable hose to me is a must. Also the fittings used must be designed to go with the hose as well. Fuel applications should not be taken lightly.