Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Bumpers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 12, 2022.

1. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

This is what gave me the idea

Attached Files:

bobbooth, Dave Mc, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s a personal choice but I like bumpers on just about everything. I don’t like ones painted and chrome may not get you home but it will look better on the roll back. I order the chrome (bright) package on every OT new pickup I buy…

HOTRODPRIMER and nochop like this.
  3. I have always like that look, it does make the car look totally different. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, it does look good on the maroon cabriolet but are you willing to bob your rear fenders to get that look? HRP

Dave Mc, gsnort, clem and 1 other person like this.
  5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

My personal feeling about bumpers is it depends on not just the type of car, but the type of build. Some styles of build just look better with bumpers, while others look better without.
    I have small nerf bumpers on the rear of my Austin gasser, but no front bumper. It looks more period style this way to me. On my '39 Chev coupe I have no bumpers front or rear as I wanted a smoother look and the bumpers looked out of place on my build. I filled in metal front and rear to eliminate the holes for bumper brackets also. It also doesn't have running boards, as I didn't think those fit the build either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TFoch, chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I never noticed the cut fenders, no wonder it looked goofy on mine

chryslerfan55 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. To me the only bumper that looks like it belongs on the deuce is the '32 bumpers, I prefer using the sedan delivery bumper irons, they just seem to tuck the bumper closer to the body. HRP

[​IMG]

nochop, Dave Mc, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  8. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

8AE0605B-D0EF-449B-90F0-770288BCF8B5.jpeg

I like the push truck style

9. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

At least the bumpers I got were free. I did buy shorter bumper irons from Brookvale.

10. Back in the 60's in and around mu area of the state most of the 55 Chevy's were missing the front bumper, HRP

[​IMG]

11. I have been trying to find the short rear bumper brackets in plain steel. No one seems to have them. Any suggestion's?

12. Mark, I had 2 sets and used them on my sedan and pickup, but speedway motors use to have the shorter sedan delivery style bumper irons. HRP

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. Kelly Burns

Kelly Burns

I think it was Car Craft in the 80s, had section on Nomads or tri 5 Chevys, there was a black '56 Nomad I think with flames and no bumper...bad A!

14. I have a set on the coupe I just did that came with my roadster when I bought it. Speedway does not list them any longer. I will keep looking. Thanks

15. C & G Antique auto in Encino, California does list some chrome ones. HRP

16. Blake 27

Blake 27

Mike Brock's old Deuce roadster.

HPIM0440.JPG

Dave Mc and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. I did not see them listed. Yogi’s shows stainless. Was looking for plain steel. I may have to make them.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

The factory bumpers on my 50 Chevy Styleline Deluxe really didn't do much for the car's looks. I've gone round and round trying to figure this out. As of right now. I'm planning on doing something custom with the front, and probably will fit a 55 rear bumper to it in the back. The shape of the 55 just fits the car so much better.

19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-7-7_4-22-45.png 1960

Hello,

The rules stated at the time during 1958-60, is that to be in the street legal Gas Coupe and Sedan classes, it had to be licensed by the DMV. Afterall, it was supposed to be a “run what you have” from the daily grind of the neighboring streets. So, in order to qualify, all safety inspection points had to be checked.

Early hot rods had bumpers as part of the licensed process. Just like headlights, brake lights, license plates and working windshield wipers. Everything one is supposed to have to be a daily driver to school or work.

But, now, you are racing at a drag strip in a modified class if you modified your stock motor or if you swapped the 4 cylinder motor with SBC motor. But the Gas Coupe/Sedan Class was labeled as a strictly street legal class. If any of the items mentioned were missing or not installed, then the so called daily driver was moved into the Altered Coupe Class, with fully modified motors, straight exhaust pipes, a single seat and full roll bar installations.

So, how does a missing bumper do for street legal Gas Coupes? A must is what the tech inspectors said before they slapped on the white shoe polish on your window. In one of our early forays to Lion’s Dragstrip with the 283 Stromberg carburetor powered SBC motor, we attached the black tow bar to the bumper brackets, after taking the bumper off. Normally, we would store it in the Impala trunk through the rear seat opening with the backrest down. But, this time for some reason, we left the front bumper at home.

After the inspection, the tech guy said we are classified as a B/Altered. Why? Bucket seats, 10 % motor set back, headlights, . were all pointed out. But, the street legal class necessitated a legal front bumper. So, we were an Altered Coupe as far as the Tech inspectors were concerned. Racing against the Reath Automotive 29 Altered Sedan was not our intention, nor was racing against the Bader and Ferrera Altered Crossley Sedan.

Jnaki

So, my brother chose me to drive home and get the bumper and bring it back. One little thing made the difference between street legal hot rod and an Altered Coupe. That was not going to be pleasant or fun. So two miles later, I had the front bumper installed and we had the tech guys wipe off the B/Altered insignia off of the window. Now, we were fully legal and in B/Gas. The competition was not any easier with Doug Cook and Junior Thompson in attendance !
    upload_2022-7-7_4-23-49.png

20. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Had a close call a few days ago and nearly got hit head on by some jackass in a Honda Civic! Came around the corner to my street off the main highway. The street is very narrow, and I always keep as close to the right as possible whether entering, or leaving it.
    As I came around the corner, here comes some idiot in his Honda hauling ass up to the stop sign, in the middle of the street! I hit the brakes hard, and stopped, but he seemed slow to react. I braced for impact and he finally hit his brakes and stopped less than a foot from my left front fender! So we're sitting there face to face, and the guy points his finger towards the road behind me, like he wants me to back out onto a 4 lane highway so he can get out. I climbed out of my '39 and walked up to his window and told him if he wanted to get out, he better backup, and pull into the driveway of the business there, or we were both going to sit there a long time.
    Not sure if a bumper would have saved me, but glad I didn't need to find out!

Driver50x and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  22. It's ironic that just a few days ago I had a very similar incident where a lady didn't stop for a stop sign and pulled out in front of me, we almost hit head on, then she had the audacity to flip me off like I was the one that did something wrong.

There are some whacko's out there, thinking they are entitled to drive any way it pleases them.

In a situation like this a bumper would be a asset. :rolleyes: HRP

1971BB427 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

24. Hmm, it appears that your mechanic is preparing to do a full oil change, replace the transmission fluid and filter and a complete alignment of the front end. Oh and also taking a power nap.

25. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

DSCF0001.JPG
    Tripple ripple does the job!

26. clem

clem

it doesn’t look goofy. Just takes time to get used to it. Leave it on for 6 months and it will look normal.
    I think that if you had a straighter bumper that from side on didn’t overlap/hide the fenders, it would work better.
    Or mount it a little further back.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    nochop and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

'35 Ford

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. I think with fenders my 33 Chevy looks better with bumpers. IMG_4984a.jpg

Dave Mc likes this.
  29. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

It’s amazing that a lot of guys here aren’t crazy about nerfs on pre 35 fords.
    You just don’t see a lot.
    I like em.

8DA5FF86-8D32-4A1A-B016-8147BE15DDDE.jpeg C0DD4278-C644-4FDF-96A0-E7A6A8C65DB3.jpeg A39A5C26-DAF6-4CD3-990B-E4EAF37F47CE.jpeg

Dave Mc and Hank37 like this.