Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Getting hinge pins out (video)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ActionYobbo, Jul 5, 2022.

1. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

2. elgringo71

elgringo71

That was a good video and a great method. I have seen many threads where people fought hinge pin removal and didn’t know that a tool existed until now.

3. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah that was way too easy. Maybe groomed for the video. When they are worn out of round and rusted a more brutal technique with heat and some big boy words is the chosen method.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    kadillackid and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  4. That looks like the tool Drake sells.......I never had any luck with it on original, never removed pins, but.......the taps with the hammer look to be pretty effective......

Pist-n-Broke likes this.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

I am thoroughly convinced that if you got a hinge pin out, it wasnt really stuck. :) I bought that tool and it was destroyed quickly. I think heat is the only way if its really stuck. I have driven my 39 Ford truck daily for 17 years. What state are you in?

kadillackid and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  6. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

Arkansas.
    Before buying that tool I had tried punching out the pins on the drivers door but the reallity of physics is that a hammer alone will give around 20 pounds of shock force if you get a perfect hit straight in line with the pin. If you hit on an angle that force is less. If you use that tool and wind it up to 100 pounds of pressure and hit it you get 120 pounds of shock force directly on the pin in line with the pin even if you hit on a big of an angle. Thats the basics. The shock actually multiplies the effect of the pressure. You can wind until the tool bends and not move the pin or load it up and shock it.

when you say truck do you mean comercial car or 1 ton or 1.5 ton truck?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    '28phonebooth likes this.
  7. That has to be a set up for the Video. I have that tool and it has never worked like that for me (or anyone else I know). I have a different method, hasn't failed me yet and don't involve a Drill or a Hammer. I should make a Video.

kadillackid and manyolcars like this.
  8. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Ratchet wrench would surely speed this process up.

9. ActionYobbo

ActionYobbo

Pins were put in in 1939 and taken out in that video just as you see it. The truck was used into the 1980’s then sat until I got it. When I got it the doors would not open. The latches were rusted and stuck. When I got the doors opened they were stiff and the hinges flexed and groaned. That door had been opened aprox. 20 times from then until the pins were taken out.
    So no setup just documenting fact.
    You can push on a window with 20 pounds and it wont break. Hit it with 20 pounds and it shatters. The difference between applied pressure and shock.

elgringo71 likes this.
  10. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

This is exactly the way I do it. I've never had a problem getting them out doing it this way. When I first tried using this tool, it was apparent that just tightening the tool wasn't going to do it, so I tapped the bolt head with a hammer and was surprised with how well that worked. I've done several hinges using this method. Just did two hinges recently, with no problems.

11. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve not used one, but seems the same principle as using a wheel puller. Put some pressure on it then smack it with a hammer.

12. NoelC

NoelC

While I'm a member of the club that didn't buy the tool, it appears if I had, it just might have been worth it.