Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Vega box no p/s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Nov 30, 2021.

1. birdman1

birdman1

Just wanted to share my experience with the speedway motors Vega gearbox. I installed it on my 1937 Ford coupe that I installed a 430 Lincoln engine and a T5 in. The Vega box steers very easy, even with the heavy engine and radial tires. No need for power steering at all. I also have a small steering wheel on it. IMG_20211129_140505753.jpg And like I have read on the hamb, I did have to adjust the gearbox after a few.miles.

2. I've used the Vega and the Borgeson steering boxes for years, I've used the in 40 Ford sedan and roadsters. HRP

19Eddy30 and dana barlow like this.
  3. scoop

scoop

I used the Speedway vega box on my 30 Model A can't get all the play adjusted out. I have 2 1/2 to 3" of play at the wheel.Junk.

jaw22w likes this.
  4. TCTND

TCTND

Many complaints about excessive play are the result of improper installation. The steering box has only one spot where there is no play; that is when it is perfectly centered. Your drag link must be adjusted so that the box is in this position (centered) when the wheels are pointed straight ahead. Apologize for the lecture, but this doesn't seem to be common knowledge.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    19Eddy30, Andy, Johnny Gee and 2 others like this.

5. X-cpe

X-cpe

Did you adjust the preload on the worm shaft first?

6. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I had the same experience as you with the Speedway box. 3000 miles and junk. From my personal experience, I highly recommend NOT using a Speedway Vega box. The price is just too good to be true.

X38 likes this.
  7. Koz

Koz

I've used many of these boxes, ( Part #91032204), and I tend to agree with TCTND above. Once they are adjusted properly they work and last just fine. And this comes from somebody who generally detests offshore shit. They are pretty well made and do the job admirably for a fair price. I love when a project in here bears the price of a Borgeson because they are set dead on right out of the box. It surprises me Speedway just doesn't spend a couple of bucks and set them on the bench before shipping. They most certainly have the technical ability to do so.

I will mention that it is possible to ruin, usually the sector and sector bushings, by running a box way out of adjustment. You can rip one up way easier than you would imagine. I'm running one on my Vicky that I'm building now and it seems to be just fine. Not the most traditional steering out there but easily the nicest on the open road.

8. scoop

scoop

Yes

9. scoop

scoop

Thats the way I did it.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I bought a Borgeson Vega manual box for my '39 Chev, even though Borgeson's info states it isn't for heavier cars. Only have a bit over 6,000 miles on it, and like any new steering box I needed to set the lash. But it's been a great box, and still feels like new.
    I looked at the Vega boxes at Speedway, but they didn't say where they're built, and their price wasn't much less than a known Borgeson.

11. scoop

scoop

Got a borgeson vega box, tried to put the pitman arm off the speedway box on, slid on but wouldn't tighten up. Now I have to buy a new pitman arm. Never again for Speedway! Oh yea, called them about their box not adjusting, past the 90 day warrantee. How the fuck do you build a car from the bottom up in 90 days? Unless you're on TV!!

X38, HemiDeuce, '34 Ratrod and 2 others like this.
  12. scoop

scoop

Installed the Borgeson box, I didn't even have to adjust it. Drives excellent!

X38 likes this.
  13. The 'Speedway' box is the same 'vega' box sold through a bunch of vendors. Enough people have discovered why they are cheap.
    A friend of mine had one. He went though all the proper adjustments and ended up dismantling the thing. Crude machining. The balls weren't even round! Replaced by a real steering box, no more problems.