Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cheaper alternatives for the Motorcraft FL1A oil filter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jul 3, 2022.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Been buying them at Wally World for 3.97 for the last few years and my stock is getting low so since I needed other stuff off I went and got sticker shock as they are now 9.92,I know its the way things are now and could have expected a couple dollar increase but not over 100 percent so are there any other similar filters out there that are not 10 dollars.

2. chessterd5

chessterd5
    from u.s.a.

Is this filter for SBF?
    if so, there are oil filters for small block MOPAR that will interchange.
    Fram is one brand.

3. I just checked and they are $7.00 at Rock Auto.

squirrel likes this.
  4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Plenty of cases of sticker shock these days, and plenty of price gouging! Manufacturers or middle men are marking items up 500-1000% and not batting an eye about it.
    I got sticker shock recently when I tried to buy simple points and condenser for my SBC distributor. Autozne didn't even carry them, and O'Reillys charged $17.95 for a condenser, and $27 for points. I needed them quickly to get going on a cruise, so no option. Checked later online and found the same prices. I found cheaper unknown maker parts I could save $10 on the pair, but not on good quality Blue Streak..

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You mean your Walmart actually still has motorcraft filters? About all ours has is Fram. And they have about quit carrying anything but synthetic or synthetic mix oil.

I've been using Wix filters for years The local parts place has them, or I get them from Rock Auto or O'Reilly's.

old chevy and jimmy six like this.
  6. Adriatic Machine

Adriatic Machine

The later style Jeep 4.0 has same thread and gasket size but the can is about 3/4” shorter. Might be a little cheaper due to the smaller size(?) I use K&N HP2004

7. squirrel

squirrel

Wix 51515 filter is a buck and a half cheaper than FL1A on rockauto.

But they also charge shipping....which means you have to buy a lot of them to make it worth the effort.

Since they only sell synthetic oil these days, consider increasing the miles between oil changes....perhaps 5k?

Deuces, juan motime, warbird1 and 3 others like this.
  8. July NAPA flyer has the 5 gallon bucket sale where you buy the bucket for $5.49 and get 20% off everything you can fit in the bucket. NAPA filters are made by WIX. 10 quarts of oil and two filters will fit in the bucket.

9. Too bad they don’t carry Harley parts!!

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Yes they finally got them back a couple months ago and Rural King usually has them for 4.99 but none in stock.again.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have six vehicles that use that filter so it looks like my oil changes got more expensive and some get changed a few times a year now that I am driving 95 miles a day for work.

12. SPEC

SPEC

Just don't use Frame filters they are off shore junk.

SOHC427, nosford, seabeecmc and 6 others like this.
  13. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Jeff, I use Wix. 51515 are $6.29 at Home Depot, Amazon, Walmart. NAPA Gold 1515 is a Wix. My local NAPA is a little proud of them. I can do better online with freight. Your results may vary. Mike

1935streetrod and guthriesmith like this.
  14. NAPA sells re-branded Wix filters which have always got good reviews from the guys that cut them open to see what's inside. It appears greed has gone up everywhere. Their 'base' line filter part # 21515 is now $6.70, the better 'Gold' one #1515 is now $12.60 and a 'Platinum' version #41515 is $14.70 at my local store. And the only one they stock is the expensive one... The local O'Reilly's wants $13 for the Wix 51515. This is from a check online 5 minutes ago.

Under $10 for the Motorcraft is starting to look better, eh? You can do somewhat better if buying in bulk online. Fram is junk....

15. egads

egads

alanp561 and 1oldtimer like this.
  16. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Quit using Fram years ago, always had cross thread problems where any other brand went on without an issue

17. rusty valley

rusty valley

Check Ebay. lots of times a case or partial case from an estate are going cheap.

bobss396 and 1oldtimer like this.
  18. KenC

KenC

This looks like a deal
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/174811599870?epid=169199296&hash=item28b39553fe:g:iCYAAOSwsNtg0gVB

egads likes this.
  19. hotrodfords

hotrodfords

$7 rack on Rockauto yesterday

20. The FL1A also has a new look..last one I put one was plain white with a sticker on it..no more silk screen graphics

21. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have neem buying oil in 5 gallon jugs so probably time to buy filters in bulk too.

22. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Yeah that's more expensive in the past but if you have a quality filter you like I'd stick with it and find cheaper place to purchase like many suggested rock auto above going with a cheaper brand. Of all places to try and scrimp an oil filter might not be the one in my eyes.

RMR&C likes this.
  23. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Motorcraft makes a quality filter, even at $10 I will still use them, but I’ll keep my eyes peeled for sales.

Walmart has sold those filter for $3-4 for like 20 years, we shouldn’t be surprised the price has gone up. If it had gone up 50c a year for 20 years we probably wouldn’t be complaining.

427 sleeper and firstinsteele like this.
  24. flatford8

flatford8
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Lyman,ME.

I’ve been buying filters at Rockauto too. Same shipping on six as on one and the one was a lot better price than my local NAPA. Still a WIX filter........Mark

25. Davesblue50

Davesblue50

My local Oreilly's will price match Rock Auto if you show price proof on phone for identical part. Just saying. And I worked there for four years.

alanp561 and Hot Rods Ta Hell like this.
  26. Roothawg

Roothawg

I feel for ya. I just paid $28 for 4 cans of spray paint today…..

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Prices are crazy for everything right now. The Mr. Gasket fuel pressure regulator for my flathead just started leaking. $39.98 at Amazon and everyone else is in the low 40's. Its probably been 3 or so years since I bought the one that's leaking but I sure as hell didn't pay anywhere near 40 bucks for it. 614XvdZAsBL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

28. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Write down the interchange numbers and buy equivalent ones at swap meets for a dollar or two.
    I even use Fram filters with no concern, and I've read about how bad they are.
    Engines didn't even have filters once.

29. 67drake

67drake
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Muscoda WI

I dunno, I don’t mind spending an extra buck or two for a good oil filter, it’s not like I put that many miles on my cars where it’s going to kill me. I’ve been running WIX and NAPA filters for at least the last 20 years. I’ll shop around for price with windshield washer solvent and unimportant things like that.

Boneyard51, warbird1 and Budget36 like this.
  30. indyjps

indyjps

Cross reference to other brands
    https://www.oilfilter-crossreference.com/convert/MOTORCRAFT/FL1A

I think this is from Bob is the oil guy site, saved the image but not the link. Element area is the main comparison measurement, but doesnt really capture the filtering capability of the element.
    The note that Motorcraft filter is Puralotor made is interesting.

Screenshot_20220704-064035_Chrome.jpg

Motorcraft FL299 7 inches long,
    Motorcraft FL1A 5.5 inch long.
    Internet says.... direct swap if you have clearance. I'VE NOT DONE THIS, please compare them yourself.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    46international likes this.