Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Road through your Windshield...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat Hack, Oct 30, 2007.

1. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-6-30_3-24-34.png 1962-64 Pontiac era
    Hello,

Ever since those hot days of 1960-64, my friend’s 57 Chevy Bel Air Hardtop was one heck of a hot rod cruising sedan. It had the most done to the motor and chassis of any of our Chevy sedans. His final step was to get an all white tuck and roll upholstery, like several of our friends, down in Baja. We had gone with the other Chevy sedans down South to get the less expensive all custom tuck and roll, so we knew the process.

But, as nice as his white 57 Chevy Bel Air was and my 58 black Impala fit the bill as far as teenage hot rods, when it was the middle of summer and we were still trying to cruise around, we certainly wished for an A/C car. His mom and dad had a new 1962 Pontiac 4 door Bonneville Hardtop Sedan as their family car. The whole family was tall and this giant sedan fit quite well.

On those very hot days, we usually lowered all of the windows and opened the vents on our Chevy sedans. That was the cheap version of air conditioning. But, we opted for no A/C on our cars as we knew it robbed horsepower when needed.
    upload_2022-6-30_3-27-20.png similar family car
    It was a cruiser if there ever was a large comfy rolling, cold vehicle. The A/C was the most important thing and we withstood the comments from others at the local drive-in restaurant parking lot gatherings. “Out with mommy’s car, again?” “The 57 not as reliable?” “What a barge of a car…etc” We just smiled, ate our hamburgers/gravy fries combo and flipped them off. We were in comfort, cruising around and they were not, so it all evened out as to how much anyone could give or take. We took in all in cold comfort.

Jnaki

But, as nice as the 4 door hardtop Pontiac was, my friend tried to convince his parents to get a two door version for their family car, and preferably in black. My friend loved the black paint on my 58 Impala and helped maintain it when necessary. But his version of a Pontiac sedan was this similar looking one sitting on the side of the road.
    upload_2022-6-30_3-28-55.png
    It did not matter if it were a stick shift or not, as long as it had A/C. His parents would not like a stick shift car, anyway. But, the room inside of that large Pontiac was perfect for “double dating” scene, that was very popular as teens.
    upload_2022-6-30_3-29-34.png

2. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The use of the SW Greenlines is a nice touch in the 56.

RMR&C and scotty t like this.
  3. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

4. From Tuesday evening going to eat at the place with the big pop bottle out front on Route 66.

8507801F-C163-46D5-9AA3-2FC99FDD4649.jpeg B74CEF42-28DC-4279-9637-58659857BA09.jpeg

hrm2k, TFoch, lucky ink and 9 others like this.
  5. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Man guys, I have a few gigs up north this weekend. About 260 miles each way. I've never driven the shoebox that far, but I'm tempted to pack her up tomorrow morning and do it. She cruises around 65-70 without issue and has no mechanical issues that I'm aware of at the moment.

Waddya guys think? Should I nut up and cruise her that far? It'll take a little longer for sure, but has the potential to be an awesome road trip with just me and a guitar case in the front seat....

Jet96, Blues4U, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  6. Man , don't believe I would have even asked that question! Just do it and tell about it later. That is what I do.

Ben

guthriesmith and 210superair like this.
  7. JUST DO IT AND TAKE PICS YOU CAN SHARE WITH US... :D A road trip report is always good too. :cool:

And, yes, I meant to leave caps lock on to mean I was yelling. :D

8. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Well damnit, I just found a bubble on the sidewall of my driver's side front tire. So I guess that's that until I get a new tire, and then I can post some behind the windshield pics. Damnit... I was getting pumped for the first medium distance road trip in the box. Oh well. Safety first I guess.

9. This is one of those posts that needs a “dislike” button. Surely you have a spare? :D

High test 63 and 210superair like this.
  10. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

I do not have a spare, no sir.
    MisguidedGoodnaturedGypsymoth-max-1mb.gif

11. If you like to live dangerously, then your tire may make it 520 more miles? :p

manyolcars likes this.
  12. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

C7FAAD75-8102-4070-98BA-B03CF967A83C.jpeg 2200 miles since April, one tire, a windshield and lot of gas!

hrm2k, TFoch, David Gersic and 5 others like this.
  13. Lil32 and Dave Mc like this.
  14. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Waddya think? It really ain't a bubble. Kind of a solid line running up the sidewall.... Safe?
    20220630_160623.jpg

guthriesmith likes this.
  15. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

16. Looks fine from here. :D

210superair and MMM1693 like this.
  17. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

210, get a set and play it!!!!!

210superair likes this.
  18. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I've taken my cars to gigs several times, particularly the A pickup. But they have all been local gigs. The only fear I would have about taking the shoebox to the gig is the possibility of missing the gig due to a break down. My band mates would not be amused about it.

210superair likes this.
  19. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

tmp[9417].jpg

20. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

Looks like where the whitewall is seamed together. I bet all your tires have it. Take it out on a 20 miler, check the air again, and Go for it.

210superair and guthriesmith like this.
  21. High test 63

High test 63

22. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Cruising in downtown L.A. yesterday 20220703_133738.jpg 20220703_132640.jpg 20220703_133744.jpg

23. jnaki

jnaki

Hey WTB,

You guys are having some great cruising in Los Angeles. That street is the famous 4th Street leading to one of the most filmed bridges in all of So Cal. It is in most TV shows and movies using Los Angeles as a background. When we lived in Boyle Heights (across the bridge) many years ago for a short while, we crossed the 1st Street Bridge and the 4th Street Bridge to and from the downtown L.A. area. Back then, they were just bridges. Today, they are famous landmarks.

We recently saw an old favorite music video with the bridge as a set backdrop. There are countless movies and TV shows that use the bridge and under the bridge to show what L.A. looks like.
    Rocketeer... w/Ryan Tedder

Jnaki
    upload_2022-7-4_5-6-36.png
    Just peeking out on the left near the palm tree…

It looks like you guys are having a great time in the area. Hope you guys stopped at some of the great places on both sides of the bridge for lunch… or a late snack. But, in your photos is one of the most unusual structures in Los Angeles.

upload_2022-7-4_5-7-39.png
    “P-a-t-t-e-r-n-s Pavilion for the Sci-Arc 2013 graduation.”

“Program: league of shadows is an outdoor semi-permanent event structure serving the Sci-Arc campus (Southern California Institute of Architecture) and the arts district in downtown Los Angeles.”

“A new sign: bringing Sci-Arc to the streets. Positioning the pavilion at the corner of 4th and Merrick Street, it allows the project to afford a double life: its obvious function as an outdoor public event space and a more iconic one, that of a formal beacon at the southern tip of the property, a billboard sign that reasserts Sci-Arc’s institutional presence in downtown Los Angeles.”

“The intention of this placement is that when seen from 4th street, the new pavilion serves as a landmark, a natural marquee for Sci-Arc campus. Due to both its placement and visibility, the pavilion can become a suitable venue for Sci-Arc to engage outside audiences from downtown community and larger L.A. area.”
    upload_2022-7-4_5-8-31.png
    This place would be a great venue for a hot rod/custom car shows that used to be at local parking lots and school campus locations back in those early days. Space for plenty of cars, easy freeway access and direct access to downtown Los Angeles are plus factors.

Note: for anyone coming North into downtown Los Angeles, this 4th Street freeway exit is the easiest way to get right into the actual downtown area without fighting much traffic on the other busy intersections. But, remember, you will be driving through some unusual business/industrial areas leading to the major downtown buildings. YRMV

Attached Files:

63fdsnr and lurker mick like this.
  24. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Cruising through whats left of the orange groves in Redlands,Ca on the way to a car show.[​IMG]

25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2022-7-9_12-9-49.png
    Los Angeles begins a three-day community celebration this weekend to mark the completion of the 6th Street Viaduct, a new connection between Boyle Heights and the downtown Arts District that replaces one of the city’s structural landmarks. (Genaro Molina/Los Angeles Times)

upload_2022-7-9_12-10-32.png

Hello,

Those bridges over the paved Los Angeles River Basin have been a part of L.A. History for years. The 4th Street Bridge being the most famous as far as recognition and inclusion in many movies, music videos, and TV productions. But, the other bridge to the South also has its own notoriety. It, too has been in several movies and productions. It was built in 1932 and needed some upgrades for safety.

But, over the years, it has taken a shadow to the famous 4th Street Bridge. Now, after a 6 year renovation project, this weekend, the city will celebrate its new fangle design and construction with a two day celebration. This is history and hot rod/cruisers road trip locations above and sometimes, below on the dry river surface is back in play, again…

Jnaki

We just might have to cruise up to that familiar area from our 50s and 60s past road trips and see the new construction for some good old times. It is just several streets South of where @wheeltramp brian and his group cruised on the 4th Street area just a few days ago. YRMV

upload_2022-7-9_12-22-58.png

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    lurker mick likes this.
  26. Texas John

Texas John

On my way to an early morning rod run - Key to the Hills Run, 2021
    2021 Boerne Rod Run.jpg

guthriesmith, b-bop, TFoch and 9 others like this.
  27. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan