Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Jack Mickelson Roadster: FOUND!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Chris Julis

Chris Julis
    from Eagle, Id

Thank you.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. My boy, ya done good( hot rod heroism that is) . I like the fact that you’re putting a flathead back in it, I mean if you’re going to restore it back to it’s former glory then that’s what you must do. Good luck with the journey sir.

3. Squablow

Squablow

Glad to know it's going to get redone in a fashion similar to it's original build. Can't say I'm thrilled to hear it's going to get an automatic but overall this is still moving in the right direction and that is a good thing.

4. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Welcome aboard Chris,
    I’m sure Gene’s happy knowing that you’re still enjoying what he didn’t get a chance to.
    The last time I saw the roadster was at our Outriders picnic. When did you relocate to ID?

I’ve had a similar era “old lakes warrior” for 23 + years myself. I was going to build it very different than what it is today. I instead built it close to what it had been in the only photo that I had seen of it up to that point, but in setting that goal I looked for and found the only heir to the history of the Hot Rod. This person was a 3 yr old boy in 1947 and had images of him in the car. He’s now basically family.
    Go look up Clem WASKE 265b Roadster in the search. It’s a good read. We’re still working on that very same car 6 yrs. after I made contact with him.
    Good luck with Gene & Jack’s old 32.

chryslerfan55, KKrod and woodiemike like this.
  5. indyjps

indyjps

Would love to see it in OG set up.

Ultimately - the car's history is known, it's still alive, and can take whatever form you decide.

chryslerfan55 and KKrod like this.
  6. Chris Julis

Chris Julis
    from Eagle, Id

Thank you all for the positive feedback.
    As far as taking the car back to all 1940's, I would love to, but I unfortunately do not have the budget for it, nor the time to seek out all the correct parts. I want it to look correct from the outside, but I also want driveability. I take the car everywhere. This will also be passed down to my daughter, hence the automatic trans. I do plan on teaching her to drive a manual, but I am sure she will use the automatic more.

I hope Gene Scott will look down and be pleased with what I have done and just be happy the car is still on the road.

If anyone has a line on parts i may be able to use, please reach out: [email protected].

I will post pictures as I progress this fall.
    Enjoying the car all summer long...

chryslerfan55 and KKrod like this.
  7. Chris Julis

Chris Julis
    from Eagle, Id

We moved to Idaho in 2018.
    The car culture is nowhere near California of course, but there are a ton of cool things to do here, weather permitting.

8. KKrod

KKrod

Chris - Please keep us posted on your progress and any parts you need. And if you have any more pictures along the way please post them. We never get tired of pictures. Lol

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  9. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

This morning while having coffee, I was flipping through a great book I have, "THE BIRTH OF HOT RODDING - The Story of the Dry Lakes Era". I'd seen the Mickelson '32 in this book before, but always wondered where the shop was that's written on the cowl. The first word appears to be rubbed off, and after that, it says: SPEED EQUIPMENT - 2214 Fawcett, El Monte. When I first saw it, I thought it must be "EVAN'S" in El Monte, but remembered Evan's is/was on Seaman St.

That's what got me Googling the 'Mickelson '32' and finding this thread on the HAMB. So cool!

I grew up in El Monte and am interested in the history there. Fawcett street is only a few blocks long, and now has 5-digit addresses. I'm really curious what this place was, and where it was. Fawcett Ave. is just North of the 60 freeway.

My Dad talked to a guy sometime around 2005 about a white, heavily chopped, full-fendered '32 3-window Coupe that was parked way back in the driveway of a shop located at 10817 Fawcett Ave. If I recall correctly, the owner had passed away, and the Coupe was being taken to Oregon. Anyway, I wonder if this is where '2214' was in the 40's.

chryslerfan55 and woodiemike like this.
  10. Chris Julis

Chris Julis
    from Eagle, Id

That would be awesome to find out