Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Kinda a Project 50 Ford Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Hombre, Jun 13, 2022.

1. Hombre

Hombre

When I first got this little coupe plans were to get it on the road and enjoy the critter. I always had a few plans for it to make it a mild custom, but my taste really leans more to the Hot Rod side. Why can't it be a little of both? Mild Custom and Performance related as well. I think it can and I will strive to reach that goal. It is Olds powered and I really like that, suspension has been updated without taking it out of the traditional cars. Interior is done, paint has been on the car for quite a long time but still looks very good. There a few must do's though. The only wheels that I had were those damn ugly rally things, they have to go and real quick to. I am leaning towards Torq Thrust wheels but I would like to see what they look like first on this car, may have to go with a more traditional ( for the time period of the car) Chrome reverse, but they present there own set of problems on the rear.

One thing I will need to address is the hood. It is just my luck that I was at one of the first cruise nights this year. This is a huge cruise in with sometimes as many as 250 or 300 cars. The block off the center of the street and cars park there as well as in front of the stores and shops and this goes on for blocks. My car was in a good location and I was happy with were it was, but the promotor came to me and asked if I would park in a area set aside for wounded vets. So a friend of a friend asked if he could move it. The hood was up showing off that Olds engine and he jumps in the car starts it up and he says his foot slipped off of the brake and the car shot forward, the hood bent bad in both rear corners and just folded back. I guess I am lucky it didn't hit the top of the car but it did a real number on the hood corners. I do not want to paint this car, at least not right now, and there is very little chance of matching that 15 year old color. So I am going to have to get damn creative in what I do to make it more presentable. Anyone have an idea I am all ears. In these pictures the hood is in its damaged state and it is not too bad, but I need to do something. 1950 Shoebox1.jpg 1950 Shoebox2.jpg 1950 Shoebox4.jpg

Ford52PU, v8flat44, bobss396 and 6 others like this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Nice ride! I’ve no knowledge of them, but maybe the folks that do “paintless dent repair” can help out?

Hombre likes this.
  3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a sweet little ride. Can't see the damage in these pics. Need closeups if you can get them. Just a question, does the friend's friend still have all his teeth?;)

Hombre, lothiandon1940 and Budget36 like this.
  4. Damn! I would be royally pissed. No one should ever try to move a car with the hood up, let alone a nice Shoebox Ford. Just too much can go wrong even if the guy's foot didn't slip off the pedal. A simple gust of wind could have caused similar damage. I feel like you have more than just damage to the hood itself. The arms are probably tweaked and alignment of your hood is going to be a bitch. These cars are difficult in that regard even with no damage like you have. I don't have the answer and wish you the best. Maybe a really good body man can help. I would try my best to find one and never let anyone else drive the car.

5. Squablow

Squablow

Chrome reversed, or "OE" chrome without the reverse offset, would be the perfect set of wheels to be both a little hot rod and a little custom at the same time. I think if you're leaning that way, it's a solid idea.

Sucks about the hood, I have an Imperial that has the same damage, maybe a bit worse, haven't tackled it yet but I feel your pain.

I like the car, the Olds motor is cool and it's a pretty color. Those headrest bucket seats stick out like a boner in sweatpants, though.

Baumi, alanp561 and Hombre like this.
  6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Look at pics of HRP’s shoebox. It had Torque Thrust wheels on it. You should be able to google ‘49/‘50 Ford and come up with pics of those wheels on those years of cars.

Hombre likes this.
  7. BJR

BJR

That's why "friends don't let friends drive fords!"

Baumi, Tow Truck Tom and alanp561 like this.
  8. Hombre

Hombre

Guys I gotta tell you somedays you are the bug and somedays you are the windshield. Today I got to be the windshield.
    I have a very sick wife, it was a sudden thing but for the time being she is completely bed ridden. She has had to go to the doctor visits and a couple of times to the hospital and always in an ambulance, there is just no way for me to move her to the car. To make things even worse you are totally at the mercy of the ambulance company. If they have any other calls the simple will not show up even though I was making the appointments a week in advance. There not showing up has happened 7 times in the past two months. That piss's off the Doctor and the next appointment may be two weeks away when you reschedule. So I have been in the market for a used lift or handicap van. Finally found one not to far away and went today to look at it and hopefully buy the damn thing. Get there and the van was everything the guy said it was, good price as well, I buy the van and as I am getting ready to leave I see back behind this guys garage a 49 Ford Coupe body. Well I need a hood so I ask the guy is he would sell any parts off of this beat up old ford ( and god only knows it was beat up) he says no he wouldn't sell any parts but he would sell the whole car. We go out to look at this thing the Hood was in real good shape, so I ask what he wants for the car. I ended up buying the car for $900. I figure what the hell I can get my money back in parts. Now in looking at this car and since I was only interested in the hood, I actually stopped looking once I saw the hood. I tell him I will be back with a trailer and a winch to get it out of his very tight yard and loaded. He says ( and I almost passed out) "Don't need a winch I can jump it off and drive it on the trailer) I say " You mean the damn thing runs?"

Now listen to this it not only runs but it has a small block chevy and a 700r4 tranny. I couldn't be that lucky again in my dreams. I will take some pictures tomorrow in the daylight and post them. Good day for me a real "Windshield" day.

alanp561, Ford52PU, Tim and 8 others like this.
  9. Sorry to hear about your wife's health issues, but glad you were able to solve the transport problem. I hope it makes your wife's life easier. That '49 was icing on the cake. Ya gotta love Karma!

10. loose49

loose49
    from tucson az

As long as your going to mess up your paint when you repair the hood. If you ever thought about louvers. Nows the time to do it. The wheels I just run steel 15s on the car BUT I have 4 different styles of full wheel covers and 4 sets of dog dish style. And a couple sets of beauty rings. I change them around from time to time. Gives the car a whole different look. And gives you a good excues to collect hub caps. When not in use the caps decorate the walls GOOD LUCK

Attached Files:

11. ...............Sending prayers your wife's way.

alanp561, Ford52PU, Hombre and 4 others like this.
  12. v8flat44

v8flat44

That's kinda a really cool coupe......as an old friend used to say "KINDA NICE" !

Hombre likes this.
  13. Sorry to hear about your wife. I hope everything goes well for her.

I have used paintless dent repair in the past. It was the hood on a 65 Mustang Fastback. The dent was baseball size at the very front. When he finished you could not tell it was ever damaged. Your results might vary.

What a bargain on the 49!

Hombre and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Hombre

Hombre

I have talked to a dent guy. I only wish it was baseball size I could live with that. It is both rear corners of the hood, a large dish towel might cover it, maybe!!!

This old shoebox is a really nice cruising car, I hate to even think about painting it I even like the paint ((Kinda)) This hood is more of a problem for me than anyone else, most folks really love the car, or at least say they do. I have had it to a couple of places to try and repair the damage and repaint just that part. They just laughed because of the color and say there is no way to match it. If I could find a way to hide the damage I would just do that, but for the life of me I cannot come up with a plan. So I now have another undamaged hood, I sup[pose I will have to paint it maybe this winter.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. junkman8888

junkman8888

Take the car to an automotive paint store that specializes in matching colors, not to a body shop.

Hombre likes this.
  16. Hombre

Hombre

Junkman, Trust me buddy I have done that, been to more than one paint supplier. One of them even had this machine that they held up to the paint and it is supposed to be able to match even older paint paint jobs. So machine does its thing and guy says absolutely it will { be close to a match} I asked the cat what exactly close meant. And I quote his exact words ( it will be within a shade give or take) . So I have given up on that deal completely.

17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Had a body shop close to here paint the replacement hatch on the wife's OT Fbird, it came out perfect. Don't know how they did it, it had already had a repaint in the supposed factory yellow color, but you can't tell the hatch was painted last year and the car several years before that.

Hombre likes this.
  18. Hombre

Hombre

I must say that when it comes to this tech stuff I am dumb as a board. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to get pictures from my phone to the computer were I can post them. I promised some pictures of the Running Driving 49 ford hood donor car I bought for $900. So here is that old guy. More I look at it a kinda sorta want to build this car. It is a mess and while the running gear is in pretty good shape it needs ton's of body work. But you know what I am old, 14 years older than water to be exact, retired and need something to keep me occupied. Maybe this one will be fun, God only knows I could use a little fun right now. thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail.jpg

19. I'm just a little into 49-51 Fords. I know the Hood program a bit. Now mix-n-match is pretty common with them, some goes easy some not so much. Anything can be done. That said a 49 hood doesn't just bolt straight onto a 50. Hinges and mounts are different. You can make it work but it's not Nutz and Boltz. That said, you are calling the second car a 49. What I'm looking at is a 50, or 50 sheetmetal on a 49 Body. Probably a better thing for you as it will change over. If the door handles were on it I could tell ya what year the car actually is. A few other external things are a give away also. I say this because a 49 Hood would have 4 block letter mount holes n the front not the 2 off center for hood badges. Does the drive side have an exposed Gas Cap or a door over it? Are the door strikers a Fork or a Roller latch?
    Yes they can be a Mild Custom as well as a Hot Rod.
    nikki.jpg Smokin 51.JPG

20. Hombre

Hombre

Pist-n-Broke likes this.