Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Horn relay wiring - 59 Chevy Painless

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hellfish, Jul 2, 2022.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

I'm trying to figure out how to wire a horn relay in a 1959 Chevy BelAir with a Painless wiring kit. I think the relay is for a '63 but I'm not sure that matters given the universal Painless kit and no voltage regulator. The horn worked before I wired the car ~20 years ago and now I'm getting around to fixing things I've been ignoring. :)

Painless says black wire #953 connects to the horn button. I found an unlabeled black wire in the right section and the right gauge so I assume that's it. I connected it to the green wire coming out of the column. I ran the green wire labeled "horn" coming out of the fuse panel out to the horns.

If I apply power to the horns, they honk. If I connect the green Painless wire to a terminal on the relay and connect the other terminal to the horns and the "Bat" terminal on the relay to the battery. It clicks. If I reverse the blade terminals, nothing. Nothing happens when I press the horn ring either way.

Here's a pic of the relay, and what appears to be the same relay, but with a diagram that I don't understand (except there's a switch between 1&3 that makes contact when it's closed aka the horn button).

I know this should be simple. What am I doing wrong?

upload_2022-7-2_17-7-22.png

Attached Files:

2. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Are you trying to integrate the stock horn relay into the Painless system? My Painless fuse box incorporates a horn relay, the only connections required is one wire from the horn switch which activates the relay and the output from the relay to the horns. It would be helpful to know what Painless system you have.

squirrel likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

if it has this relay (orange arrow) then yeah, it likely has a horn relay already, and you just need to connect the horn wire that's with the turn signal wires, to the horn wire that comes out the steering column. And the green "horn" wire to the horns. And make sure the HORN fuse is good in the fuse panel.

Painless_14-circuit_Fuse_Panel_med.jpg

DBruce likes this.
  4. I’m thinking you connect the black to the horn wire terminal in the plastic terminal for the turn signals. Then the green wire to the horns themselves.

5. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

On your first pic, term 3 and/or 5 would go to battery positive.
    Term 1 would go to horn.
    . Term 2 would go to your horn switch and ground out when pressed.

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

I feel like a dumbass. Squirrel is right. It does have a fuse built into the panel. It's working now! Thanks!

pprather and squirrel like this.