Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A Kid's First Project: 1957 Fairlane 500 Town Victoria.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_Cat_Of_Ages, Apr 7, 2021.

1. SS327

SS327

Like Dirty Harry once said “a man’s got to do what a man’s got to do”. He also said “a man’s got to know his limitations”.
    So do what you have to to make it safe.

2. Ford had ran some brake lines and installed them before the body went on. This might be your case.

3. Yeah, one of the brake lines is sandwiched by the body mount, the rubber part of it.

4. Ford ran all chassis side lines before the Bodys went on the frames. The 57 firewall to rear axle line was run outside the rails threaded between outside body mount stands and crossed over the Top of the rail back to the inside. That line in stock form was Never captured in a rubber body mount anywhere. I can only say that if your actually trying to duplicate that stock line exactly as Ford built it your NutZ". Your car is not a Restoration Job so don't make things hard. Start at the front Brass T fitting and move the line inside the rail. Do your best to go over the Top of the trans mount and as far away as you can from the exhaust and get it to the rear Rubber hose bracket. Move On after that. Also, if your doing a new Fuel line do the same with it. You're not going Drag Racing so you don't have to worry about the Exploding Flywheel severing either line.

5. I think its a factory defect no one noticed, also since its raining, im taking the light switch apart and giving it a cleaning. 20220606_114759.jpg 20220606_105421.jpg

oliver westlund, 2Blue2 and bobss396 like this.
  6. I'm amazed about how it could just come apart and wasn't permasealed, I took it apart, gave everything copper a vinegar bath, put some new dielectric grease in it, then rewired it (correctly, everything was wrong on the switch apparently... but it all works now, even the instrument cluster dimmer.

7. I was able to remove the original brake/fuel lines out and then replaced them with NiCop lines. Bent them as I went along. I totally know where you are coming from with stuff dropping on your face and into your eyes.

Mike

SS327 and The_Cat_Of_Ages like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

I use those cheap flexible safety goggles, not glasses, when laying under old stuff. Keeps debris from falling in my eyes.

9. I think I might have a light out still, not 100% sure though...

VANDENPLAS, 2Blue2 and bobss396 like this.
  10. SS327

SS327

Looks like you may have a burned out bulb. Keep up the good work!

11. All those little bulbs are available. I had to go to a few parts stores as I replaced them all.

12. I've been replacing them one by one.... not the easiest thing in the world with the vents in the way.

13. The horns worked!

For a few seconds...

So i took one apart and got it working again, the other just broke apart, now i really wish i knew where a junkyard of 50s fords was...

14. all bulbs are working, its the camera making it seem darker than it is.

aussie57wag and SS327 like this.
  15. the rear line is still trapped, the front line under the oil pan was shiny under the sludge, found that surprising to find, same with the tie rods and such, looks brand new under a layer of slag and other dirt.

something else... the rubber lines we got dont fit into the stamped steel retainers on the frame, any ideas?

16. Only the clip portion fits through the opening. So just about a 1/4” actually fire through. If the hole has been shrunk somehow, you may have to pry it open a bit. I am assuming this is your problem.

mike

17. I had to file on the hose itself, the new hose used a different design, 10 minutes with a file fixed it.

SS327 likes this.
  18. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

congratulations

19. Now, I've wasted quite a bit of line, and accidentally messed up some things and I think I overestimated my ability to bend brake lines alone... it will get done before august... i also need to fix the speedo cable

SS327 and Squablow like this.
  20. Squablow

Squablow

Don't feel too bad, the lessons you learned on that "wasted" line will pay for themselves many times over with more cars you work on. I know I did the same shit.

21. SS327

SS327

Just don’t overthink it and try to make it too perfect. Think like the line, don’t want to be bent too sharp.

trevorsworth and The_Cat_Of_Ages like this.
  22. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't overthink it. These cars are simple and simple solutions work. Time and time again I look at a problem, think of a solution, second-guess myself, ask someone for help and learn that "the way to do it" is just the way I thought up in the first place.

And don't let little shit like a speedo cable keep you off the road. None of my cars have working speedometers right now... you aren't getting any tickets in that barge, don't worry about it.

23. There is a bit of a learning curve with making up brake lines. I have a couple of benders I use, but for some reason most of my lines have the radius of a floor jack handle.

tomkelly88 and SS327 like this.
  24. The only thing i want to work is the odometer.

25. 20220630_212152.jpg 20220630_212207.jpg 20220630_212224.jpg
    Bagged the brake equipment and have new grease, bearings are in the freezer, drums will be turned tomorrow (hopefully they are within spec), new master has arrived (gave up on rebuilding the old one, it was too pitted inside for me to consider it safe), and i need to fix the passenger side spindle, seems the bearing wasn't to spec and they drove on it... its all scored and black. Lines are after this, I just need a bit more practice, and line...

26. Bearings in the freezer? This is a great way to introduce moisture into them. I would take them out and let them sit in the sun for a while. They should slip onto the spindle easily, no fight. Get a sheet of emery cloth, I have used 180 grit and 220 grit for cleaning up spindles. Tear a few strips and make like you are polishing shoes. Check the fit with the new bearings as you go. Were new bearing races installed in the hubs?

27. SS327

SS327

Only the races need to go into the freezer. The bearings get the “warmth of the sun” like The Beach Boys said.

The_Cat_Of_Ages likes this.
  28. They will be installed after the old ones are punched out by the guys turning it.

29. The bearings and the bags they are in are filled with grease, will remove the bearings after work, and let them warm up

SS327 likes this.
  30. 20220701_150501.jpg they will call me when its done.

oliver westlund and bobss396 like this.