Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures How far would you drive for a hypothetical HAMB get-together?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SDS, Jun 29, 2022.

1. SDS

SDS

How far would you drive for a hypothetical HAMB get-together?
    I think it would be great to meet everyone on here - we're all like-minded and it could be a good time!
    Could be regional or national - just throwing out the idea.

Thoughts?

2. Walking distance with the price of gas

3. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

4. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

That would be a good idea for the hamb drags. A bunch of bench racing to go along with a bunch of nostalgia racing and centrally located in the u.s.

5. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

I like the idea of some regional event and bigger national ones.

Stock Racer likes this.
  6. Not as far as for a real one.

7. About an hour in a hamb friendly car, couple of hours in a daily driver.

8. Moedog07

Moedog07

To the end of my drive way. :) Its down hill and my car isn't running. (Seriously around 250 miles)

9. 250 miles, depending on the event.
    That's how far I drove to a SEGA Gasser race.:cool:

57 HEAP, osage orange, hrm2k and 2 others like this.
  10. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drive to the HAMB Drags every year, it's about a 2500 mile round trip. I drive past 100 drag strips to get there, but I don't stop until Joplin.

-Abone.

cvstl, Torkwrench, -Brent- and 13 others like this.
  11. If you count crossing the Pacific ocean...I've done it.

The 39 guy, 2Blue2, HotRod33 and 5 others like this.
  12. Yep, the HAMB Drags has worked well for this multiple times for me. I have also met HAMBers as far as 500 miles away for some event. Depending on what was planned, I would say 500ish miles in a HAMB-friendly car is pretty do-able.

I honestly try to meet HAMBers any place I travel to.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  13. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've got a couple of HAMBer's who live within 50 miles of me that I see every once in a while. I would like to meet a few more of you hoodlums, but I don't get out very far anymore.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably SF to LV.

jimmy six and hrm2k like this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

depends how many days of fun it involves....I drive a long ways for week long adventures in old cars.

16. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An hour or so….

osage orange and Stan Back like this.
  17. I've met dozens of HAMB members while attending dozens of events as far as 2000 miles from my home base.
    You need to drive them!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  18. gene-koning

gene-koning

If you really want to meet HAMB members, you pretty much just have to get serious about doing it.

Going to a show, a cruise, or swap meet near you? Post up a HAMB meet and greet for at that show, about a week before the show, have a time (a 1/2 hour to an hour long time frame), and pick a location at that show. Then put up a cardboard sign so people can find you. Having some shade, maybe a cool beverage (even if only water), and name tags people can fill out helps a bunch.
    Years ago, there used to be HAMB meet & greets at nearly every big show or swap. Most of the problem is the guy standing right next to you might be a HAMB member, but you may not even know it.

I've met a bunch of guys from here, some even in my home town. If you see my coupe, stop and introduce your self (even if we have met before, the memory isn't as good as it used to be), lets talk!

Attached Files:

19. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Speedweek is a perfect place to meet.

Boneyard51, alanp561, RMR&C and 2 others like this.
  20. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In a rental car!

williebill, ffr1222k and mohr hp like this.
  21. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

1,084 miles to Lead Ain't Dead, a little longer for the scenic route.

winduptoy, bob b. and guthriesmith like this.
  22. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I‘d jump on a plane, swim or paddle…but I’d prefer the plane …

23. wicarnut

wicarnut

I have met some HAMB members at shows, they saw my 32, used as my avatar for several years, or I saw the HAMB tag on their ride/shirt/hat and started up a conversation, all turned out well. It's always fun to talk with fellow CarCrazy's in general, would I travel far today for such an event, probably not as time/age/circumstances have caught up with me, Have at it, organize it and see how it shakes out, Ass U Me your post is a feeler on possible interest for such an event.

24. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was fortunate enough to put together a meet and greet at one of the Jalopyrama shows in Annapolis Md a few years ago. We have Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Virginia, Delaware, West Virginia, Ohio, Texas, Indiana, Tennessee representatives in this group picture. All HAMBers. Not pictured was the Boss and his Attorney. They were suffering from too much self abuse the night before. They didn’t know we start early and leave early.
    Somewhere, there is this picture with everyone mentioned by name in the picture 21232C91-F749-4DEF-938D-2A0551362764.jpeg
    Dead center a few rows up in the yellow hat is Not Stock Photography John Jackson who drove his Corvair van up from Texas. We even got Al Liebman ( behind John Jackson ) behind the last row. Al has the distinction of being banned from the HAMB under more names than anyone else.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
  25. I HAVE GONE TO AND HAD MANY HAMB EVENTS. I USED TO DO THE HAMB BBQ, THE FIRST SATURDAY IN JUNE, EVERY YEAR, HERE IN SOTHERN CALIFORNIA. JUNE 8TH IS MY BIRTHDAY, SO I MADE IT A TWO-FER. I'M THINKING ABOUT STARTING IT BACK UP NEXT YEAR. SAME PLACE, LEGG LAKE IN EL MONTE, CA.

Torkwrench, Scott, Chili Phil and 5 others like this.
  26. x2 on Bonneville......always Hambers there. Hope we can get a get together going this year!

hrm2k and guthriesmith like this.
  27. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Hot Rod 100 Reliability runs are almost a HAMB meet and greet. I have met most of the hoodlums I know on these. Run roughly 300 miles to do a 100 and have a great time with great people. We are doing roughly 600 miles next week and plan on meeting up with some more. All depends on the venue I guess for me. Live just south of Mpls and always go to BTT50's and always manage to miss the HAMB meet and greet there, too big and too much going on.

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's 658 miles from my driveway to the Nugget parking lot in East Wendover. Now I have a place to stay in Wendell Idaho and that makes it an easy 2 day run both ways.
    We have had extremely informal HAMB gatherings at the East-West flathead run in Washington over the years.
    For me most of the interesting events where I'd find HAMB members are 150/250 miles from the house. That's Seattle, Portland or Spokane as I am pretty well between the three.

I've found out in the past if you wear one of your HAMB shirts to an event of any size you find Hambers, some are the classifieds only guys who don't participate on the board much if any and some are active members who introduce themselves. Then you get those who want to badmouth because they got the boot because of their ugly "rims" or having a street rod rather than a hot rod.

My problem right now is that my two favorite events where I do run into HAMB folks are in opposite directions on the same day usually. The East-West Flathead run and the Concours De Maryhill that is actually a pretty laid back end of the season car show on the grounds of the Maryhill Museum.

The 39 guy and guthriesmith like this.
  29. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Let's just keep it easy on me, and you all can just come to my place. I'll get a few cows to BBQ, and a few kegs of beer, and the boats will be full of gas..... Just me and a few thousand friends? Lol.

Imagine my wife's face when yall are pulling up the street....

30. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Was there not meet -ups at the L.A. Roadster show a few times? Could not find a much better event.

BTW...your cap-locks is stuck on.