Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Yeah, Its got a Hemi/41 shop truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bandit Billy, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

2. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

my painting technique sucks; fixed a group of runs/sags on a recent job with a single edge razor blade. Didn’t bother with the RunRazor. I found it to be a bunch easier than sanding, lots of vids on google.

Stogy and Bandit Billy like this.
  3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks great. Man your neighbors have got to be like what the hell is he doing over there now? Practicing a moon landing?

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Truck should be killer Bill!
    About that bounce house/paint booth, that is cooler than the other side of the pillow!

Stogy, Bandit Billy and Algoma56 like this.
  5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Mile-deep black! Worth the absence of long-gone fingers, numbing of most body parts... (your OWN!) :eek:

Remember what Mom told me during the 1956 Nitro lacquer 32 coats of RED on my '32 five window:
    "Next year you'll look back on this and laugh!" Good advice. Yep...The next year I was painting my '36 Five window. Only with synthetic enamel. :D

Billy, you have taken all of us on an extra tenuous (?) journey that may be traveled by ONLY the young and brave. :confused:
    Thank you, and may you soon partake in some of the long haul truckers' nectar: George Dickel: Tennessee Sour mash.

Stogy, Bandit Billy and guthriesmith like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:eek::cool:

Yeah, I'm going to wait until next week to dig into it. I need a break from all the fun.

My legs and back are killing me! Painters are typically not built like me. Footballers are but I doubt they paint much.

I have one of those in my arsenal. Like welding, I'm a better grinder. In painting, I am a good sander. Someday I will learn better and do less clean up.

One of them did drop by with some buddies visiting from Australia. I poured some whiskey and they marveled at the fact I was painting in my backyard. All good.

Thanks man. The bouncy house has a serious flaw and for those of you that will follow suit I have a word of warning; have a high temp reducer on hand. I didn't and the sun busted out (in the PNW? Seriously) and the interior temp soared to 90. Mid temp reducer and activators are 70-80 f. Being a dumb ass I applied the clear to the bed and fenders because I wanted to be done and the clear did not flow out. I should have waited until this morning early to clear them, well within the 12 hour window. I have a little solvent popping on one fender that has me concerned. Other than that the paint booth is awesome and I highly recommend the auxiliary ventilation fan I added. The booth was pretty clear the entire time.
    I toasted this stage of the journey with an old friend Elijah Craig yesterday. He is good pal, he listens more than talks. :cool:

Stogy, fauj and Tim like this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The rear fenders,
    upload_2022-6-30_12-10-9.png
    and the bed
    upload_2022-6-30_12-11-0.png
    Not horrible but I have some sanding to do. The good news is the clear set so fast there are no sags in these pieces. What a game of science, technique, patience and practice this painting is. Unfortunately for me I lack most of those qualities. :cool:

Two days ago my prep table looked like this
    upload_2022-6-30_12-14-38.png
    Now my truck is considerably heavier. I will lighten it a bit with sanding though.

Anyone use one of these? Air and water 6" sander? Looks like it would make the next step a lot easier.
    upload_2022-6-30_12-17-28.png

Toms Dogs, Stogy, Just Gary and 10 others like this.
  8. Looking good, I like (like isn't really the right word, more like suck it up) to hand sand at this point.
    You haven't mentioned the hood...

Bandit Billy likes this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The hood that I bought from you I had chemically stripped. I removed the interior brace as there was a small area under the left side of the brace that rusted out. I still need to patch that index size area and punch the louvers back in it. I figure it will start off life as a no hood truck :cool: That way you can see my pretty firewall.

The tail gate is not painted either, I will hit it when I do the hood or if I have to re-shoot the one fender that popped on me.

Stogy, The 39 guy, fauj and 1 other person like this.
  10. Roothawg

Roothawg

Patina sucks! Painted shiny cars rule! Gonna be so nice.

bchctybob, Just Gary, Hombre and 5 others like this.
  11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amen to that. They are more work to create, more expensive to build, more work to keep up, and in my opinion more beautiful to look at. Chrome it, paint it, polish it.

bchctybob, The 39 guy, Hombre and 4 others like this.
  12. Rckt98

Rckt98

I HATE patina. Back in the day we always strived to get the nicest finish we could on a car.

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Billy has the same afflictions I do...polishing things and shiny paint.

bchctybob, Just Gary, Hombre and 2 others like this.
  14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My buddy Kim is a HAMBer, he has a 1950 Ford Business Coupe that has the original black paint on it. From 20 feet it is beautiful. Up close you can see how thin it is but I wouldn't paint that one. I still would not call it patina.

Stogy and fauj like this.
  15. I have been painting cars for years and am not sure I would trust myself with one of those. I am much more comfortable hand sanding prior to buffing. I would be afraid as round as your truck is, it would be pretty easy to go through without knowing it pretty quick with that sander.

Oh, and truck is looking great! :D

Stogy, Tim, Roothawg and 1 other person like this.
  16. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah I thought about that too. It is a lot of work but hand sanding is probably a better route. The little sander is a jitter bug sort of thing, not like a DA, but even that could make a real mess.

Stogy and guthriesmith like this.
  17. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have watched guys use them on youtube, but never invested in one. if you go slow and start with 800 grit, you should be safe.

Stogy and fauj like this.
  18. They use 800?!?! Most painters I know don’t get anywhere close to that anymore. They think I am nuts for hand sanding with 1000 first to knock out all the orange peel. They start with more like 1500 or so which won’t take out the orange peel best I can tell.

Stogy and Tim like this.
  19. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have seen some that start with 600 to get it flat in a hurry. I suck at cutting and buffing. It’s something that scares me, so I try and lay it down like glass, so I don’t have to.

Stogy likes this.
  20. Yea, I am not fond of sanding either so try to lay it down as flat as possible too. But, without the sanding and buffing part, my paint jobs would appear amateur like they are. :rolleyes:

Stogy, The 39 guy and Bandit Billy like this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

Mine are but I know my limitations….;)

Bandit Billy likes this.
  22. I’m too lazy to cut and buff, amateur works for me…

23. dln1949

dln1949

Billy I'm still in the sanding stages on my 29 tudor, the more I do the more I find to do. Will be thrilled if it turns out any where's near as nice as yours. How many coats of color did you wind up laying down? Again, gonna be a real nice truck.

Bandit Billy and guthriesmith like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I laid down a black urethane sealer, a medium coat of color and then two wet coats. Same on the clear.

I totally get what you are saying, I was still fixing spots a couple days before I sprayed it. 80 year old metal has a lot of dings and issues, a lot of them were factory installed.

fauj, Roothawg and guthriesmith like this.
  25. I agree, originally, they were far from the level you are taking yours.
    Utilitarian vehicles, farm trucks..the order of the day.

26. 64Pony

64Pony

Great job! You’re moving along fast and the truck is looking really good. Thanks for the motivation. I was getting burnt out with mine. haha

27. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, they did not get the care that cars received for sure. Maybe even more so on war era cabs like this one.

Stay the course. A buddy of mine yesterday started his golf round with 4 straight pars and then imploded. On the back nine he threatened to just leave. I told him to stay the course, work on short irons, chipping, putting. Don't walk away, we don't make any progress that way. Go get something done on that truck today, even if it is just putting.

Stogy, Roothawg and Dick Stevens like this.
  28. dln1949

dln1949

Billy did I miss the part of the body work where you eliminated the spare tire dimple in the pass side rear fender or is it a later truck fender? It all looks good.

Stogy, Bandit Billy and Roothawg like this.
  29. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nice work Bandit!

30. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That left rear fender is a 46, and as such had no dimple. I cut off the bottom where it mounts top the running board and replaced it with a new piece. I like the spare tire a bit, I don’t care for the dimple and no tire, but I like neither the best.

Thanks, means a lot.

Stogy and The 39 guy like this.