Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How much to get title and registration in California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banditomerc, Jun 28, 2022.

1. banditomerc

banditomerc

I want to buy an old truck I found a neighbor selling but the truck is out of the system there's no title the DMV website says the VIN digits are not enough to check it so what are the fees to pull a title and register in California

2. banditomerc

banditomerc

I don't know if it makes any difference but it's a 1951 Chevy 3100 all complete the seller said he'll give me a bill of sale so where do we go from there

3. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

If you do a California DMV " title only " it's $35 !

4. banditomerc

banditomerc

Do I need chp inspection for title

gimpyshotrods likes this.

5. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I've lived in California all of my 67 years. A number of years ago, I sold my stepfather's motorcycle for him. However, he never acquired a Certificate of Non-Operation, and it hadn't been registered for several years. The buyer returned, stating that several hundred dollars in back fees were due. I refunded the amount of back fees.

Dealing with the California DMV can be a nightmare. The $35 transfer fee, if still $35, doesn't include sales tax or any back fees that might be due. I wouldn't go forward with the purchase until you get something in writing from DMV that shows exactly what it's going to cost you to transfer title and register it. If it's so easy, the seller should be able to obtain current registration; the buyer will then only be responsible for the transfer fee and sales tax.

If you intend to register the vehicle in another state, registering an out-of-state vehicle that isn't currently registered, title lost, etc., might not be any easier than registering it in California. Personally, I wouldn't buy anything that is missing the title, isn't currently registered in the state in which it's located, or does not have a valid Certificate of Non-Operation if the registration is expired. The seller probably doesn't want the headache, or it would have been done already.

6. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

In California there is a provision in the law to exempt certain cars from having to file a non op. Google.."CA waiving back due fees". It exempts pretty much all the cars we deal with here from having to file a non op. Not having to file a non op means no back fees can accrue. A few years ago you had to argue with the DMV as the individual agents hadn't run into this...but it might be more common knowledge now. To answer the OP.....youll also need a vin number verification and since it's a truck...it has to be weighed.

Special Ed likes this.
  7. You need to physically go down there and apply for a missing title, there is quite a bit of paperwork to do but it's not terrible, it's there to provide a paper trail that proves it is not stolen and establish a chain of ownership. The CHP will need to verify that the serial number on the truck matches the paperwork you will have filled out before inspection. It will need to resemble a vehicle, a pile of parts stacked in the back of a utility trailer will not cut it. Since it is a truck it will also need to be weighed at a certified weigh station. Politeness with the dmv folks will go a long way to having them be more helpful too.

51 mercules and gimpyshotrods like this.
  8. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Best thing to do is check with a licensed and bonded title service. You can get a title with just a bill of sale BUT unless you have at least some form of official document you'll need to have the vin verified by the CHP as others have posted. The private title service can not verify the vin. I bought a '54 Ranch wagon with just a bill of sale but I had a 1972 registration slip from the vehicle. A title service came to my house, verified the vin and did all the paperwork. I never set foot in the DMV and recieved the title in my name in a month or so. Personally I wouldn't buy a vehicle without some type of documentation paper work so I could avoid the CHP/ DMV visits. JMO.

hidez57, exterminator and irishsteve like this.
  9. banditomerc

banditomerc

Thanks for all the info gentlemen..

10. I had vin verification done right here at home, there are certified people that do this, $80 range for vin verification isn't bad for a mobile deal.

Kustomline54 and irishsteve like this.
  11. Look up posts by @gimpyshotrods, he has a nice breakdown of what’s needed as he does it. Basically you need to get it CHEAP to make it worth it (and it needs to be complete or at least look like it).

12. Justin B

Justin B

Use a dmv service, not worth the time to deal with dmv/chp directly, it’ll save multiple trips and the headache that comes with dealing with dmv employees that aren’t used to non standard renewals/title changes.

I use Liz at https://www.boulevardregistration.com/
    She’ll come to your place to inspect, and you’ll have proof of title from dmv within a couple days (or sooner if you pick it up at her place)

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

have you gone through the truck looking in every nook, cranny and hiding place for old paper work such as an old registration slip or even the title. A guy gave me a "no title" ot rig a few years because I wanted a couple of pieces off it and when I was cutting the hulk up right there in the mass of papers in the glove box was the title. An hour late the hulk was in my buddy's wrecking yard crusher row.
    I'd pop the seat cushion out and look any place that I thought a registration slip might be tucked away.
    Here and I suspect in Cali and most states the older titles are not in the computer system and have to be dug out of the files in the archives by a clerk physically going and hunting for them and searching though the files. It took about 4 days to get confirmation that the title that my aunt gave me for my 71 GMC that my uncle had owned was good. Then a year or two later she found the original title that they had filed lost title on so I have it as a historical document that has no value except the history of the truck. It's worth the hunt to see if you can find anything with name, registration number and maybe title number.

14. 327Eric

327Eric

59 El Camino, no papers, registered last in 72. Hired a title company. Stated it was given to me. Got a weight certificate, paid 450, dollars, stayed home and watched TV, he did the work, title and plates came a month later. 53 Henry J, with pinkslip from 1968 from my Uncle. He said keep the pink slip, gave him the info he needed and 450 dollars, stayed home and was lazy. Got a title, plates and a refund of 70 dollars a month later. It is worth your money to pay a professional. I did my others myself, no more.I use Ken Leek at Peninsula registration service.

15. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The advice about @gimpyshotrods is good. As I said in my earlier post a title service is the best way to go. BUT if all you have is a bill of sale and no other documents a title service CAN'T verify the vin. That means a trip to the CHP and the possible problems that might (or might not) mean.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

100% correct!

If you have any sort of state issued document, or license plate, or old registration, that is documentation enough.

No document, you have to go to the DMV, where they will most likely refer to CHP.

51504bat likes this.
  17. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Just like I said: if it were easy, the seller would take care of it. Unless you just have to have it, the price is right, you have the patience of Job, and you can handle the stress of dealing with rude, ignorant people, move on.

irishsteve likes this.
  18. deucemac

deucemac

I built my roadster using an original 32 frame given to my by the widow of one of my best friends. He had it stored for at least 30 years and the vin was no longer in the system. I called a CHP verifier and got a ration of bauracratic nonsense and was told that he would not I spectacular the car until it was completely ready to drive. I had the car at a muffler shop in Bakersfield and looked across the street and saw a title service. I went over there and talked to the lady and asked if she was a verifier and could generate a title when one didn't exist and was long out of the system. She said she could and told me the fee would be $150. She walked across the street and inspected the car and vin. I paid her and a few days later, a clear current title was mailed to me. Within the year, the roadster was street worthy and I took my title to the auto club and they were able to issue me a current registration and license plates. Easy peasy.

19. You 100% need to get a bill of sale, and a statement of facts from the sellers saying he lost the title. Then fill out the paper work and submit.
    i would make sure there is a legible vin # on the chassis where it’s supposed to be for the model it is.
    Make sure all the numbers jive.
    You will have to get the vin verified, mostly just get a paid verification About 100.00.

Most old cars the CHP will not bother. Well in LA proper atleast. You call the CHP, they will let you know if you need a CHP ver. or a regular paid one.

if you pay for the registration service expect to pay about 250-400. Add the Vin verification. Then add the fees. there you go.

Is it worth it? How cheap this the car? Free99.??? That about a 500.00 investment. time and money.
    If you have AAA DMV they can help with some of the forms, but I dont think will do the verification- I think I called and asked.

BTW. All the bubs giving advice from out of state…
    I actually did this a few years ago and payed up because it was a running driving car, that was mistitled and got fixed. Same route.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
    gimpyshotrods and irishsteve like this.
  20. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

51 3100 would not have a vin number on the frame. They had a plate on the door jamb with a serial number and
    an engine number, either could have been used to register it originally. Obviously the engine number would mean that
    it would have to have the original engine, and the serial number plate was held by clutch head screws, not rivets.

21. There are still thousands of 47-54 Chevy trucks in Ca. Find one with clean paper. Craigs list, Facebook market place have them all the time. I understand saving basket case 32 Fords,but some vehicles are still so common that starting with a head ache makes little sense.

gimpyshotrods, abe lugo and chopped like this.
  22. 55blacktie

55blacktie

49 years ago, I bought a non-running, non-registered, 57 Chevy 3100 short-bed/w 235 and 3-on-the-tree for $300. The body was in great shape/w no rust, but it needed a windshield. There was a long paper trail and CA plates. Even then, trying to sort it out was a nightmare. Being an 18-year-old high-school senior, I got it running and drove it anyway. I was eventually ticketed by the CHP, while parked in front of my school (at least it wasn't towed). After blowing the engine, I sold the truck to a friend. He put a rebuilt 235 in it and someone got DMV to issue a new title and registration ( he must have had more patience than I). I went through the same process with a 66 Mustang GT Fastback in 1992. In that case, again, I left it to the buyer to deal with. What I've found over the years is that 12 different DMV employees will tell you 12 different things. If the OP wants to pursue it, he should go to CA DMV website, print out all of the rules/regulations for transferring title and registering the vehicle, and take the information to DMV when he goes. If he has AAA, he might start there. They might be able to tell him what he needs to do, if they are unable to take care of it. I was unable to turn in the personalized plates on my dad's 55 Tbird when I inherited it (DMV would not allow me to keep them). I also wanted to replace them with CA Historical Vehicle plates. AAA was not able to do it. That was 11 years ago.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There has been a near-complete staff turnover since then, a complete new staff education program, and a totally new computer system, with scalable storage.

I can now get in an out of the DMV, even with the most complicated transaction, with less than 15-minutes at the counter.

There is never anything you can do about how many people show up before you that day, except making an appointment.

I have a DMV 30-minutes outside the city that, if you know when to go, you can walk directly to the counter and get fast friendly service.

AAA is great, but they only handle basic DMV services.

5window likes this.
  24. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Too much information. You can get a title without any "title service"... fill out the paperwork, you can download it from the CA. DMV website, Make an appointment, The DMV office will verify the VIN... if you bring the vehicle to them (unless it is a MC, then a CHP appointment is required), pay you fees, was $35 on a car I got about 3 months ago. I have titled 3 cars and 2 motorcycles without a title service, and started with nothing more than the actual vehicle.
    Most of these title issues are self inflicted, know the rules and your rights.

Irish Mike likes this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not that this is a bike site, but the need to go to CHP is at the discretion of the DMV verifier.

The last two bikes, both vintage, and both coming from out-of-state, did not require a trip to CHP.

I agree, much of this grief is likely self-inflicted.

Irish Mike likes this.
  26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to say that across the country way too many guys are looking for the easy way out rather than stopping to figure out how to line their ducks up in one tidy row and head to the closest DMV office or maybe not so close that is far enough up the state DMV food chain to accomplish things in a simple manner.
    Several states red flag titles from certain "creative" title companies. Titles from one or two easy to get paperwork states have been red flagged in some states for years. Simply put, those states are where it was common to create a title for a stolen vehicle.

27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, you can get a title in CA for a vehicle with just a bill of sale without using a title service. But if you've never done it by yourself the process can be intimidating, at least for some. As a retired 30 year + CA state employee for a licensing/enforcement agency I've personally seen what should be relatively simple and straight forward turn out to a genuine cluster f*ck. Or you can use a title service that knows exactly what is required for an effortless encounter with the DMV. And you'll never have to step inside the DMV. Of course this doesn't apply as posted previously if all you have is a bill of sale without any other supporting documentation.

28. 55blacktie

55blacktie

I can't imagine it's better now; there are a lot more people residing in CA now, and DMV came under fire for long lines/w people waiting for hours, even with appointments, to be served. For that reason, I've put off getting a "real" drivers license until my current license approaches its expiration date.

29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or continue with a "non real ID" and use your passport to fly or gain access to a federal building.

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just told you it is way better now.

If you are having wait time issues, pick a less crowded DMV. But then again, I already told you that, too.

Fogger and jimmy six like this.