Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lee Pratt Nomad fender flares...?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by lucky, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Does anyone here have the skinny on how he extended the fender lips on his Nomad? Newly formed sheet metal, or wire rod method? Ryan? Anyone?
    [​IMG]

39custom, Dan Hay and Gasser 57 like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

3. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

4. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Bondo!! And maybe metal welded to fender lip first. It's a custom after all, buckets of bondo is ok .

lucky likes this.
  5. They look a lot different up close than I thought they were.
    Seeing that close-up, you might be right @Ralphies54

WalkerMD likes this.
  6. 55blacktie

55blacktie

If you must run wider wheels and tires, try different offset, or narrow the axle. I don't know how anyone, in good conscience, could do this to a 55-57 Nomad.

Kelly Burns and rbrewer like this.
  7. Anyone can do anything they want with their own car

Silva, egads, chopper99 and 8 others like this.
  8. I would.
    It’s just a car
    It’s just metal
    The next owner can do whatever they like

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

It was originally built in the 60`s or 70`s. It was just another car back then. This is not a restoration forum.

Silva, 1Shot-Scot, egads and 8 others like this.
  10. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Nomad I had, I bought as hawk meat. Sold it as a hot running junker for thrice the price.

11. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I knew 50 years ago, not sure now, but I believe he framed the perimeter of the openings first with a metal strap, maybe a quarter inch by inch-and-a-half, that's what gives it that sharp, flat edge. Maybe quarter inch by two inch strap.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The museums are full.

Cut it.

13. Thank you, Tom!

guthriesmith likes this.
  14. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Lee built a copy of his original Nomad he had back in the day. So this is a newer build. Seeing as Lee is a talented customizer and metal shaper, I'm sure it's done to a pretty high standard. Not a bondo bucket, as some Neanderthals claim.
    That said, I did a similar job on an OT car. Easy to do with a shrinker-stretcher, and hammer and dolly. Or with a hammerform. Very little filler needed!

15. I believe he found the original midway through the rebuild. He did use the front sheet metal from the new build on the original car though. In short, this is mostly his original Nomad

drdave, Sancho and guthriesmith like this.
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

anyone that thinks that it is blasphemy to modify or customize an old car is probably on the wrong forum, I would suggest they find a restorers forum to join. Around here cars are for having fun with , and not worrying so much about what they are worth

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  17. Had a guy one time say “I’d like to do (fill in the blank modification) but my car is original and I don’t want to cut it”
    The car had the flaty replaced with a sbc, auto, dropped axle, open rear end and no fenders.
    So I guess, some time in the future, the owner thinks he might reinstall a flathead, stock axles/springs, fenders and mechanical brakes?
    A restored car isn’t original either. It’s just a custom built back to OE specs.

18. El Pratt

El Pratt

Tom Davisons explanation is pretty close. Flat sheet metal, trimmed to fit was welded to the wheel opening then another piece was made with a 90 degree bend and a shrinker/stretcher used to conform to the wheel opening. The edge was trimmed to 1/4 inch and welded to the lower piece. The top half is welded to the body using the stock Chevy wheel well radius to transition the new flare to the fenders and quarters. hope this makes sense.

lowrd, drdave, Silva and 14 others like this.
  19. It makes perfect sense, I really appreciate you taking time to answer! Gorgeous car

Sancho, LOST ANGEL and gimpyshotrods like this.