Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Vega power steering box help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SRAMA, Jun 27, 2022.

1. SRAMA

SRAMA
    from windsor on

I have a Vega power steering box in my model A coupe. Brand new build, probably less than 500 miles on it. It appears to be leaking from the pitman shaft seal. I called the supplier (Speedway Motors) and they referred me to the manufacture. I e-mailed CPP in california asking for the part number of the seal so that I could have one "in hand" before I started the job of changing it. CPP (the manufacture) doesn't know the part number of the seal. Anybody out there have and experience here.
    Thanks
    STEVE
    While I am tempted to rip the box out of the car and send it back to Speedway I would much prefer to change the seal and be done with it. And yes I don't really expect changing the seal to fix it because there is probably another root cause of the seal failure, its the easiest fix.

2. If its a GM built box National seal will list it in their catalog. If its China made who knows. You can always pull the seal,and measure the OD, ID, thickness,and have someone at a REAL auto parts store,or bearing house match one.

seb fontana and X38 like this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jalopy Joker and jaracer like this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Are you running the correct pump pressure? To high a pressure could possibly cause a leak.

Jalopy Joker likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

possible seal was slightly damaged when pitman arm nut was tightened down. What type of power steering pump being used? What type of suspension installed?

6. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Why would you need power steering in a Model A?

7. sdluck

sdluck

Speedway can't send you the seal? A few of the things I bought from speedway,Master cylinder did not take oem parts.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I doubt that speedway even lists a repair part like those seals in their catalog at all.
    As Irish Steve said he will have to take the seals out measure them or get the seal number off them and source new seals.
    The seals can be removed and replaced with the box on the car but it is a bit challenging to get them out. I've done a bunch of them that way but don't recommend it.
    I don't see how tightening the pitman arm nut could damage that seal unless you are using a 6 ft cheater bar and way over tightening the nut. They leak because of wear and the fact that when you turn there is some pressure applied there. Mostly just due to age and wear though.

Step by step,
    After you have the pitman arm off.
    Remove the snap ring,
    Remove the outside washer,
    remove the outside seal,
    Remove the inside washer,
    Remove the inside seal.
    Inspect the pitman shaft and install seals, washers and snap ring in reverse order.

9. sdluck

sdluck

Some you just remove the snap rings and start the car and turn the wheels a little,make sure there is a drain pan psi will push them out.

egads and scrappybunch like this.
  10. CPP don't 'manufacture,' they outsource. Subcontract. To you know where.

11. prpmmp

prpmmp

Just Gary, Dirty Dug and X38 like this.
  12. nobby

nobby

Have you got a cooler in the return low pressure line. People think on some late model cars that they are not there. But the return line is zig zagged to increase surface area for cooling and fitted it iarflow

seb fontana likes this.
  13. SRAMA

SRAMA
    from windsor on

So got everything sorted out.
    The reason for PS in a model A is for my 73 year old wife, plus motor came with it and serpentine belt.
    I installed Borgeson 8799001 pressure reducing kit, hoping this would help. It has helped in that steering is not so "light" now.
    However the real leak was the high pressure hose adaptor fitting in the top of the box. With fitting tight the seal washer was "loose" ........... DUH. Ground .065" off the end and bye bye leak. Don't know if problem was adaptor "too long" or box improperly machined.
    I am finally getting to put some miles on this car.
    Very happy now.
    thanks all
    STEVE

14. I honestly cant recall that Vegas had a power steering option. Hmmmm. Mitch. *Upon further research, I found that PS was available in Vegas and V8 Monzas. This I never knew, learn something new every day!!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2022
    seb fontana likes this.