Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What are you doing to get ready for the 2022 Meltdown Drags (the Final Meltdown)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 20, 2020.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Life and work has been messing with me more than usual this year. But I have been collecting parts to turn this little {o_Oo_O} beauty in to a screamer that easily keep within 10 car lengths of the Salt Shakers rear bumper!! lol And James and AJ are right. That gold and black beauty is Fearfully F#$%ing Expensive! With my dad passing in July and getting Mom settled in to a new house. Fall out is ify at the moment but meltdown is on my radar. Putting a new 428 together . Forgive the wheels from my 67 mustang. N eed new tires for the vintage torque thrust I picked up. Larry

20200328_160245.jpg

20200613_163247.jpg

2. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love that 56 ... bad ass..

loudbang likes this.
  3. Thanks brother!

loudbang likes this.
  4. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

Oh man have I missed seeing Yesterday’s Chili! You have less than 365 days to get that car ready and have Marc practice his driving skills!

5. Since I’m sure the Child & your Grey Lady Down, will have a “dance contest”, I’m gonna let one of the old ladies from church drive, while Marc and I enjoy a Sasparilla, and have a chuckle. ;)

6. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Thanks buddy.

loudbang likes this.
  7. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Bought me some slicks (Thanks Smokey) put on some po'man WWalls
    WWtire.JPG wwtire2.JPG

8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Meltdown Drags Association - MDA
    5h ·
    The Meltdown was the first event of its kind, it encouraged people to bring old iron and obsolete forgotten vehicles back into the spotlight, it was always focused on original historic cars and acknowledged the people who were there in the 60’s.
    The MDA took a break and while we have been away, we have noticed a few things. Every track now has a version of the Meltdown copied in various degree’s which is an amazing feeling. To be copied is the highest form of flattery.
    The Meltdown’s entire reason for existing was to find, pull out, and show these cars from a lost point in time. We did that! Not only did that happen, it encouraged many to build cars, make new friends, and learn about the hobby. It encouraged entire clubs and groups to be born and really pushed 60’s drag cars from a niche to mainstream.
    From some recent conversations we can see that things have moved much further away overall from Vintage and into Nostalgia….which is what Hot Roding does….it moves and flows nothing stays the same, much like 60’s drag racing that flowed into new technology, new classes and new equipment.
    We are sad to announce that we do not want to attempt the impossible and try to pull things back to where they were 3-4 years ago, we do not wish to upset our friends, and loyal fans who may have changed their vehicles to a point they no longer fit the criteria.
    For this reason we will be cancelling the FINAL MELTDOWN in August of 2022.
    Our apologies go out to you and your families. We want the Meltdown to remain in your memories as what it is, was, and always will be….the fire that ignited Vintage drag racing in the United States.
    We feel the time is not right for Meltdown. The future may bring a Meltdown Re-union event, only time will tell.
    The MDA will see you at events, car shows, and swap meets!

Is this for real? I just saw it on Facebook. Gary

10. As a former MDA member that worked at no less then 6 meltdown drags the above statements pisses me off to no end! Thanks for getting everyone's hope up then taking a giant shit on everyone's excitement. Your going to have the Meltdown, your not goin the have the Meltdown, make up your damn mind!

11. ...was so looking forward to this event;...this is sad news, if it is true.

12. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Me too.... was putting this SBC back together for gasser, only need JE flat tops same 455gram.... WAY TOO MUCH COMPRESSION..

Attached Files:

13. das858

das858

Very disappointed at this news , was really looking forward to it . We didn't get to race at all in 2021 due to serious health issues. Now that I'm doing well was counting the days till the meltdown.

14. oldsman41

oldsman41

15. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

Sad news all around. This was THE PREMIER racing event. It can be replicated, but truely never replaced.
    Thanks to the MDA for all the excellent memories.

Torkwrench and GlassThamesDoug like this.
  16. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You can guage a show by the spectator counts... Meltdown set attendance record at Byron... loved seeing full stands.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  17. pnevells

pnevells

This was sad news ,but I understand, I was really looking forward to a rematch with Larry Arnold and his Sheets and Giggles altered . We put on a great show when we last raced there in 2017 and it was the most fun event we ever attended . We towed 13 hours to get there and met so many friends from HAMB and Facebook that we had never met in person. It had such a unique format of all heads up. There are people over on FB bitching about the event because there was no purse , if you race a nostalgia car for the money , you missed the point of Meltdown entirely .We even got a picture in a magazine from the event. The club is right ,there are so many more events now to run a nostalgia or vintage car . We always will have the memories . Thanks
    byron meltdown.jpg old skool 1.jpg md5.jpg md4.jpg meltdown3.jpg

18. Didn't you read the latest comments. The Last Meltdown 2022 is Canceled

19. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear the news we were really looking forward to it. I agree many tracks have similar events but there was only ONE Meltdown Drags. It will never be reproduced and that is because of the amazing people that produced it and their attitudes and convictions. Thanks for all you guys have done for this genre of Drag racing. Hope to see you someday ...somewhere, best wishes!

20. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

This is a definite disappointment, but understandable. The amount of time, effort, and patience needed to put on The Meltdown is incalculable. Thanks again to The Meltdown folks, and everyone who has helped over the years, with this event.

On a personal plus side, the Cameo is basically finished, except for the exhaust. It will still serve as the new tow vehicle for my 55. I'm tentatively planning on running at both The Fallout Drags, and The Out-A-Sight Drags next year. As well as future Glory Days Drag Meets.

Z12.jpg Z5.jpg Z10.jpg Nov 21 H.jpg

21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

22. 20220225_235449.jpg
    The Glory Days event took over when the Meltdown ended a few years ago. The special 2022 Meltdown ended up being canceled so the track is continuing the Glory Days event on the same dates as the canceled Meltdown.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  23. The Glory Days event is a decent replacement fpr the Meltdown, but it doesn't quite have the same character.

24. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll be there, which car to bring...
    30 Chev 283 Auto
    62 Vette 327 4 speed
    48 Thames
    66 Nova 327 4 speed

elgringo71, Torkwrench and slayer like this.
  25. jimdillon

jimdillon

God willing I will make it myself. I had back surgery and am still healing but I anticipate I will be good enough to make it. I am planning on it and it will be my tenth year for a vintage race at Byron. I for one am grateful for the owner/personnel at Byron that have carried on a vintage event that still has a real vintage feel. I look forward to it every year. My local tracks have nostalgia style events but they are not the same. Byron has stayed with old school classes and old school appearance to the cars without the newer power adders etc. It is a 7 hour+ haul for me but it is worth it for the trip back in time IMO.

Doug I hope to see you and if I had a choice I would chose the 62 Vette, as you can imagine. Good memories running you. Hope to make more memories.

26. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim, yes good times racing. you had me closing at the 3/4 mark, Agree Byron has excellent staff, probably the smoothest track surface I've been on. This event will be fun. Its a Street driven black primer vette, was on a cover of an rock album back in the 80s. I just need to install vintage rims. If I can get my brother on the hook, could bring 2 cars.

27. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug, here is the old style photo they made from our run at the first Pie Crust drags. Fun day for sure.
    cr=w 800,h 500,a cc.jpg