Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chevy 235 swap to 51 burb

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jbro1988, Jun 25, 2022.

1. Jbro1988

Jbro1988

Currently installing a 55’ 235 into my 1951 suburban. I mocked up the short shaft pump,alternator and radiator today to find I have zero clearance for the fan.. before setting the radiator in I actually noticed I have to space out the fan out about 1/2” just to get more clearance so it doesn’t hit the dampener. How could I be this far off? I know these after market radiators are usually very close but I haven’t had this one this bad. Any thoughts or do I have to figure out how to just bring the radiator forward more? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. What engine mounts are you using? There are several styles, and bosses on the blocks as well depending on the year of the block and application, car, light truck, big truck etc.

3. Jbro1988

Jbro1988

I used the exact same style that came off the original 216. Front crossmember mount and the rear bell mounts both lined up perfectly. Don’t see I could get any play out of those.

4. Gofannon and Bob Lowry like this.

5. sdluck

sdluck

Can you mount the rad on the other side of the mount.

Jbro1988 likes this.
  6. NoelC

NoelC

Your welcome. lol. Sounds like you solved it, just need to up date with pictures!

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What bellhousing are you using? If you are running the 53 bellhousing sitting on the stock crossmember you should have fan clearance with the short or early pump.
    This is a 53 with a 56 235 in it that we built for a friend of mine and a couple of years ago one of my former students who did a lot of work on it bought it. I pressed the hub back on the 56 water pump and used a shorter pulley Fan to radiator clearance isn't much but they did a 10,000 mile road trip with i right after we finished it.
    [​IMG]

The truck had been sitting for several years when these photos were taken and I haven't seen the truck since Mike bought it and cleaned it up.
    [​IMG]

Davis speed makes an adapter to run the early 216 pump on the later 235 that takes care of clearance issues but they are't showing them right now.

8. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Might have better luck with a 54 on back pump with the adapter,it also puts the fan where it really should be.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  9. Jbro1988

Jbro1988

I used the original bellhousing off the 216. I bought my short shaft water pump setup from Mother trucker(believe he’s on here) the alternator bracket is from Davis speed

10. Jbro1988

Jbro1988

Lol looking like it. Seems a lot of people haven’t had an issue so I was a little confused but I’ll do what I gotta do to make it work

11. TCTND

TCTND

Yep, that's exactly what my pal and I did when swapping a GMC into his '39 Chevy coupe (in 1959).
    We put the rad in front of the flanges on 3/4" or so spacers cut from water pipe.

12. NoelC

NoelC

I'd vote yes to the spacer and moving the rad to the front, as well the pitch of the fan blades and mounting off set can be played with somewhat as well.

This was made fit for purpose with a bit of die grinding of the slots.
    IMG_8038.jpg